Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
goody14

Ball rolling against bat in FED

Had this question come to me and not sure of the answer. Hoping this is not one of the weird differences in FED.

Batter bunts ball and drops bat. Bat is half in fair territory and half in foul. Ball rolls back and hits part of the bat that is in fair territory. It subsequently rolls into foul territory and stops.

I have a foul ball - and I assumed this was the same in all codes.

Someone brought to my attention FED rule 2-5-1f (emphasis is mine)

ART. 1 . . . A fair ball is a batted ball which:

f. while on or over fair territory, touches the person of an umpire or player, their clothing or equipment; or

That makes it sound like the situation above could result in a fair ball. But, then case play 2.5.1 E comes in:

2.5.1 SITUATION E:

The batter hits the ball, drops the bat and it unintentionally hits the ball a second time in (a) fair territory and is either touched by a fielder and/or comes to rest in fair territory; (b) foul territory and is either touched by a fielder and/or comes to rest in either fair or foul territory; or (c) fair territory and is either touched by a fielder and/or comes to rest in foul territory.

RULING: In (a), the ball is fair. In (b) and (c), the ball is foul.

Ruling c has a foul ball but it has bat hitting ball and not ball hitting bat.

I am inclined to apply the case ruling and keep my original play as a foul ball.

What do you think FED was going for when putting the word equipment in the definition...it is not there in OBR.

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

As you pointed out, there is a difference between the bat hitting the ball and the ball hitting the bat. I'd apply the rule, not the case play, and call it a fair ball.