2018 Games

conbo61
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2454 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

13 minutes ago, Aging_Arbiter said:

holy sweet buhgeezus @conbo61!!  Any way you can have your assignor talk to my assignor?  We don't get ours until end of Feb/beginning of March.

We have two assigners here.  One starts assigning now, the other will wait until it is closer to Christmas.  Naturally when games are assigned this early, changes are to be expected.  I think he just likes to have a bunch out of the way and just has to deal with a smaller number of adjustments next spring.

1 hour ago, Thunderheads said:

my first games will start hitting in September.  My assignor books a bunch of schools and as soon as he gets games, he gets them assigned right away.   Which reminds me, ... I need to update my Arbiter calendar now! :D 

Don't forget to register!  I just completed mine.  Deadline is 7/31/17 sans Late Fee...

We have one HS league assignor who posted our games back in April for...wait for it...2019!  He's taking a heck of a chance assigning games to me at my age. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, Thunderheads said:

WOW ...earliest ever!!! :D 

Weekday doubleheaders starting at 4 pm? No way I could make that game time...is that common up there in that godforsaken state? I hear it smells like hot dog water, but that's a tangent....do they find it hard to get umpires with such early game times?

1 minute ago, scrounge said:

Weekday doubleheaders starting at 4 pm? No way I could make that game time...is that common up there in that godforsaken state? I hear it smells like hot dog water, but that's a tangent....do they find it hard to get umpires with such early game times?

you're calling Michigan a godforsaken state??!?!  LMAO!!!  Pot ...meet Kettle! :D 

Yes, ...that's common here.  Michigan has an umpire shortage period .........   But when you work here, you're doing weekday DH's at 4, and singles at 430.  Saturdays are either 11 am DHs, or noon DHs ...

10 minutes ago, BrianC14 said:

With a shortage of umpires, and yet your varsity pay scale is even lower than ours is.   smh

And ours is lower yet (disclaimer: the image shown is equal to the most I've been paid for a varsity game, most are $50/game).

5 minutes ago, BrianC14 said:

Some areas in CT get even more than that.   Last I heard, a varsity game brought $92 +/- per umpire.

Yes, but they pay the assigner (and maybe some other fee) out of that, so the effective rate is less (still high, though)