Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2451 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

IF  its +POS shin guards we are discussing ............I've been occasionallyy wearing a set of +POS Bob Davidson shin shin guards for 15 years..........I've replaced a couple of straps, but that's all..........they have been great.

Now I am known to take overly exceptional care of my gear ..........cleaning mask, CP and Shins thoroughly after each use.........I am finally expecting to replace them soon........more because of technology improvements, but I could very much just keep wearing them....... they have been a great piece of gear....... 

• Like 1

On 7/11/2017 at 5:41 AM, redsox25 said:

tPOS

Something like this?
fa21e09385eb21cda31a597ffa0abf7d.jpeg

Or this?
6967157153_e3c24370b3.jpg

Or this?
MAG+T.jpg

Yeah, that's not a "T" for "Turkey"... that's a +... a PLUS... thus, the company name is said "Plus Pos (Poz or Paws)".

As far as shinguards, the +POS shinguards are very well made and hold up very well. Simple and straightforward. If you're looking for more protection up the thigh, you might want to look at other manufacturers like Diamond or Champro, or if you're looking for more ankle protection, you may need a Wilson or Force3.

The nice thing about brand new shinguards, from +POS included, they now feature side-release buckles instead of the metal hooks (which rust, no matter how much they say they won't).

On 7/11/2017 at 7:33 AM, Stan W. said:

I've been occasionally wearing a set of +POS Bob Davidson shin guards for 15 years...

Stan, do you find that you see and call more Balks when you're wearing them?

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, MadMax said:

Something like this?
fa21e09385eb21cda31a597ffa0abf7d.jpeg

Or this?
6967157153_e3c24370b3.jpg

Or this?
MAG+T.jpg

Yeah, that's not a "T" for "Turkey"... that's a +... a PLUS... thus, the company name is said "Plus Pos (Poz or Paws)".

As far as shinguards, the +POS shinguards are very well made and hold up very well. Simple and straightforward. If you're looking for more protection up the thigh, you might want to look at other manufacturers like Diamond or Champro, or if you're looking for more ankle protection, you may need a Wilson or Force3.

The nice thing about brand new shinguards, from +POS included, they now feature side-release buckles instead of the metal hooks (which rust, no matter how much they say they won't).

I was enjoying this thread more when it was tPOS.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, MadMax said:

Stan, do you find that you see and call more Balks when you're wearing them?

'Ol Balkin Bob Davidson.................."need a run?, balk it in!"

At one time  I believe +POS had Bob Davidson, Joe Brinkman and Jim Evans endorse their gear..................

9 minutes ago, blue32 said:

I like the looks of that mask. Very sharp.

Now that, my esteemed fellow gear-nut, is the +POS MAG-T. Magnesium alloy. Or, that's at least the planform of one. @Stk004 has one (or he might have the Champro version). It's entirely possible that the mask in the photo is a hollow steel model, given that there are a pair of ferrules on the tubes, indicative of hollow-tube welding (the gases have to have someplace to go, so you leave that joint for last). That same planform – the squared-chisel chin guard, oversized ear guards, squared wicket and bullring, extended crown guard – is the basis for the Magnesium masks, which I'm shocked that they're still not for sale.

• Like 2

Yeah i sourced that pic you posted and it goes back to midwest ump blog (I miss that guy and his reviews). It was the Mag-T that they sold for 99 bucks back in 2011-2012 or thereabouts. It sounds like it was the same as the Champro mag, just painted or powder coated in the silver. I wonder how I missed that back then? Oh well.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, MadMax said:

Now that, my esteemed fellow gear-nut, is the +POS MAG-T. Magnesium alloy. Or, that's at least the planform of one. @Stk004 has one (or he might have the Champro version). It's entirely possible that the mask in the photo is a hollow steel model, given that there are a pair of ferrules on the tubes, indicative of hollow-tube welding (the gases have to have someplace to go, so you leave that joint for last). That same planform – the squared-chisel chin guard, oversized ear guards, squared wicket and bullring, extended crown guard – is the basis for the Magnesium masks, which I'm shocked that they're still not for sale.

I do indeed have the Champro version of this. It's a black frame. It looks the exact same though, and it's SUPER light. I love it :wub:

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Stk004 said:

I do indeed have the Champro version of this. It's a black frame. It looks the exact same though, and it's SUPER light. I love it :wub:

Was that one of the $7.00 masks that company that was closing was selling them for? I passed on those for some reason but got some great deals on $4.00 shirts and I also got a black pullover for like $12 or $15 bucks. Talk about a fire sale!

3 hours ago, blue32 said:

Was that one of the $7.00 masks that company that was closing was selling them for? I passed on those for some reason but got some great deals on $4.00 shirts and I also got a black pullover for like $12 or $15 bucks. Talk about a fire sale!

No I didn't but that would've been a STEAL. I got mine from @rjdakin

4 minutes ago, Stk004 said:

No I didn't but that would've been a STEAL. I got mine from @rjdakin

Yeah one of the other old time members here @JaxRolo @Umpire in Chief Or maybe @Thunderheads who I think was around at that time, might remember what company that was. This was around 2009 or 2010 IIRC. This particular company was closing and they were having a sale to end all sales. Stuff was ridiculously discounted. I'm pretty sure that UE members pretty much single handedly cleaned out their warehouse in very short order. The Champro magnesium mask was the "belle of the ball" that week, as guys were snatching up all they had. I may be off on the price, but I do remember it being pretty stupid at the time. Still not sure why I didn't pull the trigger on it, but I know I got a crap load of Smitty and Dalco shirts, and a few Smitty pullovers from them, at least one of which I still own.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, blue32 said:

Yeah one of the other old time members here @JaxRolo @Umpire in Chief Or maybe @Thunderheads who I think was around at that time, might remember what company that was. This was around 2009 or 2010 IIRC. This particular company was closing and they were having a sale to end all sales. Stuff was ridiculously discounted. I'm pretty sure that UE members pretty much single handedly cleaned out their warehouse in very short order. The Champro magnesium mask was the "belle of the ball" that week, as guys were snatching up all they had. I may be off on the price, but I do remember it being pretty stupid at the time. Still not sure why I didn't pull the trigger on it, but I know I got a crap load of Smitty and Dalco shirts, and a few Smitty pullovers from them, at least one of which I still own.

I remember that! I got a Magnesium Mask that I still own

20 hours ago, MadMax said:

Sporting the "Jim Evans" endorsed leather mask pads............. 

• Like 2