High School 2018 Rule Changes

mw94
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2445 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

On 7/10/2017 at 11:18 AM, VolUmp said:

Legal Arse Covering. Bullfeathers.

This is an admission by the state that coaches are either negligent or stupid. 

I don't understand how you can come to that conclusion. FED rules state we have to ask the coaches if their players are properly and legally equipped. If we find later that they aren't, we can take corrective action up to and including restricting/EJing the coach. 

What would you propose we do in place of this requirement?

1 hour ago, jonathantullos said:

What would you propose we do in place of this requirement?

Require each head coach to sign a document once per season that he will only use legal equipment, properly equipped players, and show good sportsmanship and each contest he coaches. 

Leave the officials out of it. FED is just "using" us as another line of defense.

If I don't ask a coach before the game if his players are properly equipped, and then his catcher takes one in the nuts and is not wearing a cup, guess what… It's not my fault, nor should it be my responsibility to even ask.

On 7/16/2017 at 9:28 PM, BrianC14 said:

Still shaking my head that NFHS required us to check "hats & bats" some years' back.   

Yeah, the thing about that was that we had one coach in particular who put the same illegal bat out there every game just to see if we caught it.

What a douche move. 

Yeah, the thing about that was that we had one coach in particular who put the same illegal bat out there every game just to see if we caught it.
What a douche move. 

Knowing that, I would have 'missed' it during pregame inspection and applied penalties when the hitter came up with it. And encouraged my whole association to do the same.

My defense: they could have pulled that bat out after inspection...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

How can the governing body expect us to inspect and enforce the legality of all equipment at a game, when it allows a JV bus to roll up in the fourth inning, and Joe Coach to add seven more players to the scorebook? Are we to stop the game, call for another plate meeting, ask, "Coach, are all these new players properly and legally equipped? Do they have their bats here, ready for inspection?"

• Like 1

12 hours ago, johnnyg08 said:

What a douche move. 

I used to work a school that would teach it's catchers to create contact to try and draw BI. We all knew about it. So they got it almost never. 

16 hours ago, johnnyg08 said:

Yeah, the thing about that was that we had one coach in particular who put the same illegal bat out there every game just to see if we caught it. What a douche move. 

He should have been reported to the State Authority. 

23 hours ago, MadMax said:

How can the governing body expect us to inspect and enforce the legality of all equipment at a game, when it allows a JV bus to roll up in the fourth inning, and Joe Coach to add seven more players to the scorebook? Are we to stop the game, call for another plate meeting, ask, "Coach, are all these new players properly and legally equipped? Do they have their bats here, ready for inspection?"

I've seen it to the other extreme.  At most Softball Canada events the umpire does a pre-game inspection of all bats and helmets - at that time any illegal bats are surrendered to the UIC for the remainder of the tournament.  It's routine for me now so I don't think about it.  But yes, it doesn't address a bat that is pulled out of a bag midway through the game.   Most of my girls have two or more bats (when you play as many games below 5 Celsius (41 F) as we did you get in the habit of having a non-composite bat in your bag).

But, I've seen umpires get overzealous.  Ump is inspecting all bats - one coach is hitting ground balls to infielders, and I'm hitting fly balls to outfielders.  Ump comes over and wants to inspect our bats,  "They're not game bats" "Doesn't matter, they're on the field, I need to inspect them"..."well, this bat is five years old, and is bent all to Hell, and isn't going to pass"...so, he wants to pull my bat from the tournament...gives it to the UIC who says "someone wanted to use this???"  "I said, yeah me, for warm ups".  He just rolled his eyes and gave me my bat.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, beerguy55 said:

I've seen it to the other extreme.  At most Softball Canada events the umpire does a pre-game inspection of all bats and helmets - at that time any illegal bats are surrendered to the UIC for the remainder of the tournament.  It's routine for me now so I don't think about it.  But yes, it doesn't address a bat that is pulled out of a bag midway through the game.   Most of my girls have two or more bats (when you play as many games below 5 Celsius (41 F) as we did you get in the habit of having a non-composite bat in your bag).

But, I've seen umpires get overzealous.  Ump is inspecting all bats - one coach is hitting ground balls to infielders, and I'm hitting fly balls to outfielders.  Ump comes over and wants to inspect our bats,  "They're not game bats" "Doesn't matter, they're on the field, I need to inspect them"..."well, this bat is five years old, and is bent all to Hell, and isn't going to pass"...so, he wants to pull my bat from the tournament...gives it to the UIC who says "someone wanted to use this???"  "I said, yeah me, for warm ups".  He just rolled his eyes and gave me my bat.

LOL, I can just imagine that umpire coming back from the field and trying to give the UIC a bunch of 38 inch fungo bats

• Like 2