LL Special Pinch runner

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2468 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Reading the new rule, I'm not quite clear on the twice per game part. SPR can only happen once per inning and must use a player not batting in the lineup. SPR can only happen once per game for a player batting in the lineup. So then, I'm guessing one can only use a SPR twice per game, instead of 6 times. 

Personally, I think the coaches sending in the signals is a much larger time sucker. 

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Mister B said:

Reading the new rule, I'm not quite clear on the twice per game part. SPR can only happen once per inning and must use a player not batting in the lineup. SPR can only happen once per game for a player batting in the lineup. So then, I'm guessing one can only use a SPR twice per game, instead of 6 times. 

Personally, I think the coaches sending in the signals is a much larger time sucker. 

Why would you guess? It's clearly written.

8 hours ago, Mister B said:

correct.  Twice.

That was the question, correct?

• Like 1

I think that is where I wasn't groking it correctly. 7.14 says nothing about twice a game and 4.04 under tournament play, it doesn't specify "no more than twice a game." It just says "Twice a game..." 

52 minutes ago, Mister B said:

I think that is where I wasn't groking it correctly. 7.14 says nothing about twice a game and 4.04 under tournament play, it doesn't specify "no more than twice a game." It just says "Twice a game..." 

Well - three (or more) isn't twice so where's the issue?

My apologies Coach Ives.  As the OP was titled "LL Special Pinch runner".................and we are currently in "tournament play", I made the mistake of basing my answer on the current rule set in use. That also he was reading TOURNAMENT RULES.

58 minutes ago, Rich Ives said:

Well - three (or more) isn't twice so where's the issue?

Nor is once. So while the rules say you can use a SPR twice, they don't say that you can't use an SPR three times. I realize this is probably being a bit picky, but adding "No more than..." would get rid of the issue. 

On 7/6/2017 at 4:35 PM, Mister B said:

Nor is once. So while the rules say you can use a SPR twice, they don't say that you can't use an SPR three times. I realize this is probably being a bit picky, but adding "No more than..." would get rid of the issue. 

There is no issue. You may use a SPR twice. May, not must. But three times is not twice.

On 7/6/2017 at 2:35 PM, Mister B said:

So, does this mean that if you only use a SPR once, or not at all, you get penalized at the end of the game for not doing it twice?