Runner injured in rundown

Guest Brandon
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2460 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Guest Brandon

During an 8u coach pitch tournament semifinal game, a base runner got nailed in the back with the ball during a rundown. The base runner fell to the ground screaming and the fielders stopped playing, as coaches from the offensive team ran on to the field with out waiting for the play to be over. After the coaches attended to him, he went to the base thinking he was safe, but I informed him he was out. I was wondering if I made the correct call.

14 answers to this question

18 minutes ago, Guest Brandon said:

During an 8u coach pitch tournament semifinal game, a base runner got nailed in the back with the ball during a rundown. The base runner fell to the ground screaming and the fielders stopped playing, as coaches from the offensive team ran on to the field with out waiting for the play to be over. After the coaches attended to him, he went to the base thinking he was safe, but I informed him he was out. I was wondering if I made the correct call.

Why would he be out? 

Guest Brandon
22 minutes ago, blue23ll said:

Why would he be out? 

My reasoning was that had the coaches not run on the field all the fielders would have to do is tag him since the play does not become dead due to an injury. It wasn't as if the injury required immediate medical attention or by continuing the play it would have risked further injury.

Just now, Guest Brandon said:

My reasoning was that had the coaches not run on the field all the fielders would have to do is tag him since the play does not become dead due to an injury. It wasn't as if the injury required immediate medical attention or by continuing the play it would have risked further injury.

They didn't tag him. Defense should know better. Maybe not the players but their coach. Safe.

Guest Brandon
15 minutes ago, blue23ll said:

That's a stretch, but it is high level 8U tournament ball. Probably have the real good cookies and milk for their nap time. 

Say this happened in a higher age division, such as 10U or 12U. What would you call then?

I am thinking more along the lines that if I see a ton of folks running out on the field, I'm killing the play and then placing the runner after the play is over. I would have an easier time justifying that then calling him out. 

• Like 1

Guest Brandon
3 minutes ago, Rich Ives said:

They didn't tag him. Defense should know better. Maybe not the players but their coach. Safe.

But the coaches from the offensive team immediately ran on to the field interfering with the play. Since this was a rundown, which base would you have allowed him to go to?

7 minutes ago, Guest Brandon said:

But the coaches from the offensive team immediately ran on to the field interfering with the play. Since this was a rundown, which base would you have allowed him to go to?

Put him back on his original base. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Guest Brandon said:

Put him where he started.  And if you can't pick up the ball and tag the runner before the coach gets there it's REALLY on you.

28 minutes ago, noumpere said:

I would not have called time, and I would have tried to keep the coaches off the field -- or yelled to them (and the others) that the play wasn't over. Then, see what happens.

Not in 8U high level ball, they are very protective of their little all-stars....(Smiles)

7 hours ago, Guest Brandon said:

Obviously, the coaches / parents didn't wrap the youngster in enough bubble wrap. Missed a spot.

• Like 3