CWS

Tborze
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2490 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

27 minutes ago, dumbdumb said:

nobody said they were all that.

so why the excuse about giving 30 years back. Every opportunity you would want to achieve has been there for the time span mentioned, both working towards a CWS or a WS in another arena.

And of course just like all professions and every job imaginable. You will never find out who/whom are the best, unless each and every person tries for that profession or job that is being talked about. That is the only way to get the best of the best. And I don't see any film footage of all those mentioned in the OP who can do better so we can take potshots at all of them. Or since they are on the "How great thou art" team by proclamation, I guess there would be no need to review their work, either to critique or very possibly to learn from.

What world do you live in?  

The best should be calling the best of the best!  With all the training and the money spent to get there, you would think we would get the best. 

Explain how umpires get to a college level?

hmmm... Do college officials come and evaluate HS officials to become college officials like they do for athletes? NO

I know college officials who have NO right or experience to be there! 

Overall, they have done a good job, but what ever happened to improving your game!?

Let computers call the game!

17 minutes ago, Tborze said:

The best should be calling the best of the best!  With all the training and the money spent to get there, you would think we would get the best. 

hmmm... Do college officials come and evaluate HS officials to become college officials like they do for athletes? NO

Overall, they have done a good job, but what ever happened to improving your game!?

but you are not explaining why you are not there on the field right now so that there are no problems, since you are the best or very close to it.

nobody wants the problems you have pointed out, but I just cannot imagine why you are not there.

most states have public stations for their High Schools sports. Is there some footage on those public stations of you working games in baseball or any sports so we can watch and learn from. I am pretty sure somebody from your state told me they have a lot of High School games filmed and if you are an official, you can watch the games and pay attention to the officials. Would love to see a game of you working. I want to learn, even if I could never be as proficient.

You have to seek the position, not the position seek you, just like looking for a job.

And MidAmUmp has a great camp that has College supervisors that would love your passion, but mainly your superior abilities. That would get you hooked up with Rich Feitchet and you could be on your way to games in the Big 10, Big 12, American Athletic etc, which would be right up your alley due to your location.

It is easier for the Major College supervisors to go to a camp where all the umpires are in one spot, than to have to supervise their own staffs every game plus try and find time to attend 60-100 high school games at the exact same time period with everyone playing on all the same days to find the best of the best High School guys.

No, you just don't get a free call on the phone and a full schedule of D1 games due to a buddy in your association putting in a good word for you. That may have happened years ago, and there were problems with that system also. The guy recommended was not that good but his buddy wanted to take care of him. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it did not.

So go to the MidAmUmp camp. No it is not free. But I would gladly trade 500-1000 worth of training for 10 years or more of 350-550 per game. And remember, since you are a very very good umpire, everyone will notice (believe me) a superstar and be begging that person to work for them. Who doesn't want the Babe Ruth of umpiring. I sure would since I would definitely know everyone on my staff was unfortunately not a Babe Ruth.

• Like 1

Tbroze lets put this to bed real quick.  Are the best umpires in the country at the CWS every year... NOPE there are politics involved just like in anything MLB, MiLB, HS and LL.  There is a rotation, there is a sitting period for the top level guys otherwise you'd see the same 8-10 guys year in year out.  And everyone would lose their minds on, "no thats not fair"... Ok so here it goes. 

Did this umpire have a "big" in your opinion bad zone today... YEP.  But do you know that this umpire was also the alternate and was called in and got on a plane b/c a crew chief went down with an injure less than 48 hours ago.  NO.  Have you ever worked in this type of an enviroment where you're being judge by 27 cameras and ESPN and 30k + people? It's really easy to call pitches from the couch, hell its easy to call them from the 1b foul line. But we support umpires here.  We can say that he might be to far back, moving his head, to high/low, not enough slot foot as a training avenue.  But lets not blast the guys who have been doing this at an extremely high level for years and own the coaches and administrators respect.  As for the other calls they've "missed" yep there have been several and guess what, if ESPN where to show multiple games at any level with this much coverage I'd bet my life savings you'd see more missed calls than this.  They've also had some nut cutters that have been 100% right!  Oh by the way there are multiple guys at the CWS this year who have MLB time and multiple cws, super regionals, regionals and MiLB experience. 

Now to the issue of you being there... I run an umpire camp that the national coordinators D1, D2 and D3 come too every year.  Private message me and you can have a spot and show them what you got and see if you can jump over the guys in the line and put those brass balls to work. I don't care a guys age, I've seen 55+ year olds go from hs to D1 in 5 years without pro experience.  I hate excuses from guys on why there not there.  I love working with guys with passion and that can out umpire me!  That is my challenge to myself every game, give to the brotherhood and out work everyone on the field to be the best.  So come on down and I'll see you in October where by the way 2 of those umpires are going to be there. 

Just my $0.02

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Tborze said:

Trolling, trolling, trolling,

Rawhide!

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Tborze said:

Take your meds Mr. Byrnes...

10 hours ago, umpstu said:

Both teams?

Yes and as someone else said LSU took better advantage of it. Do you blame them? Also my question to the naysayers is, once he's called it there 3-4x, would you rather him tighten back up or stay consistent as we hear so very often? 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, hckyosgood30 said:

Tbroze lets put this to bed real quick.  Are the best umpires in the country at the CWS every year... NOPE there are politics involved just like in anything MLB, MiLB, HS and LL.  There is a rotation, there is a sitting period for the top level guys otherwise you'd see the same 8-10 guys year in year out.  And everyone would lose their minds on, "no thats not fair"... Ok so here it goes. 

Did this umpire have a "big" in your opinion bad zone today... YEP.  But do you know that this umpire was also the alternate and was called in and got on a plane b/c a crew chief went down with an injure less than 48 hours ago.  NO.  Have you ever worked in this type of an enviroment where you're being judge by 27 cameras and ESPN and 30k + people? It's really easy to call pitches from the couch, hell its easy to call them from the 1b foul line. But we support umpires here.  We can say that he might be to far back, moving his head, to high/low, not enough slot foot as a training avenue.  But lets not blast the guys who have been doing this at an extremely high level for years and own the coaches and administrators respect.  As for the other calls they've "missed" yep there have been several and guess what, if ESPN where to show multiple games at any level with this much coverage I'd bet my life savings you'd see more missed calls than this.  They've also had some nut cutters that have been 100% right!  Oh by the way there are multiple guys at the CWS this year who have MLB time and multiple cws, super regionals, regionals and MiLB experience. 

Now to the issue of you being there... I run an umpire camp that the national coordinators D1, D2 and D3 come too every year.  Private message me and you can have a spot and show them what you got and see if you can jump over the guys in the line and put those brass balls to work. I don't care a guys age, I've seen 55+ year olds go from hs to D1 in 5 years without pro experience.  I hate excuses from guys on why there not there.  I love working with guys with passion and that can out umpire me!  That is my challenge to myself every game, give to the brotherhood and out work everyone on the field to be the best.  So come on down and I'll see you in October where by the way 2 of those umpires are going to be there. 

Just my $0.02

And I'll vouch for this umpire making the statement and the camp as well.  You want to see passion?  Come experience the instruction at this camp.  You want to become a better umpire?  Come experience this camp.

16 hours ago, Tborze said:

How about this for a resume? I found this on a camp site. If you don't think he's got the experience and expertise to be where he was, you're a fool. Let's see your resume.

Greg Street

Camp Instructor

Greg has 29 years of umpiring experience and training. He started his umpiring career back in 1988 when he attended the Harry Wendelstedt Professional Umpire School. He moved into umpiring Minor League Baseball for nine years and quickly worked his way up. He umpired in the Gulf Coast League, the South Atlantic League, the Eastern League, the Texas League, the Arizona League and then into the AAA Level in the International League.

With a total of 14 years in College Baseball his knowledge and experiences are extensive. He has attended several camps and training sessions. Greg has worked in many conferences as follows:

• South Eastern Conference (SEC) for 12 years
  • Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) for 12 years
  • Southern Conference (SoCon) for 9 years
  • Big South Conference for 6 Years
  • Conference USA (C-USA) for 10 years
  • Colonial Athletic Association (CAA) for 3 years

Greg's most impressive umpiring experience happened in 2013, were he was privileged and honored to work the NCAA Division I College World Series in Omaha.

Greg has umpired seven Division I NCAA Super Regionals and 11 Division I NCAA Regionals.

Greg has also has umpired several Minor League Baseball tournaments. They include the South Atlantic League Tournament in 1991; the Eastern League Tournament in 1993 and the Texas League Tournament in 1994.

Greg also has umpired numerous college level tournaments, which include the Conference USA Tournament in 2005-2012; the South Eastern Conference Tournament in 2013; and the Atlantic Coast Conference Tournament in 2012, 2014, 2015 and 2016.

Additionally, Greg has umpired for the Coastal Plains League, Team USA, and the World University Games in Tokyo, Japan. Greg was also an umpire evaluator in AAA from 2007-2010 and an Instructor from 2008-2010.

And I'll vouch for this umpire making the statement and the camp as well.  You want to see passion?  Come experience the instruction at this camp.  You want to become a better umpire?  Come experience this camp.

I can vouch as well. I was there last year and will be back again this year. I wish I was half as good as any of these Umpires working the CWS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Magic said:

I can vouch as well. I was there last year and will be back again this year. I wish I was half as good as any of these Umpires working the CWS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Something very, very cool about the BBUC.  < PLUG There is no snobby, I'm better than you, attitudes from the instructors. Except Mike, but that's Mike.  Wish I had the money to go again.

4 hours ago, umpstu said:

Something very, very cool about the BBUC.  < PLUG There is no snobby, I'm better than you, attitudes from the instructors. Except Mike, but that's Mike.  Wish I had the money to go again.

love you too stu!

• Like 1