Dan McDonnell Ejection

kstrunk
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2314 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/26/2017 at 10:19 PM, Fittske24 said:

Regardless of the Mic....a warning is proper protocol. 

There is a perception among us peasants (non D1 guys) who feel like what's discussed or is protocol at the meetings doesn't always apply to the big dogs based upon what is seen and heard on televised games throughout the season. Essentially they do as they please. 

One example I have is with the arm sleeves. An umpire I know was working pretty deep into the post season somewhere in the USA and he mentioned that the pitcher was only wearing one arm sleeve (I believe we also saw this in either the Supers or CWS as well)

It was ignored in the Supers or CWS and in this person's game as well...yet it was a POE at the national meeting not that long ago...that's just one example...but certainly there are plenty more.

Go to a clinic and ignore the arm sleeve and it would certainly be noted as a negative. 

Thanks for the discussion.

• 4 months later...
You can rest assure the NCAA knows exactly what was said by coach and umpire. All umpires are mic'd up. I would not be surprised this doesn't get covered at the next NCAA meeting during the handling situations session.
I don't know if this CWS umpire issued a formal warning or not, but in my discussions with conference coordinators, formal warnings, usually accompanied with verbal and visual indication of issued warning, are always 100% better than informal ones.  It removes all doubt.  I'm not saying that the coach here did or didn't do or say anything here that called for ejection. But visually you have a coach that "appears to be walking away" from the umpire, then gets run. The optics of these types of ejections don't favor the umpire especially if no formal warning had been issued. 
2019 for sure

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk