Throwing over dead ball territory

humanbackstop19
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2471 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

7 hours ago, Rich Ives said:

No.  But you'd need to have an unusually shaped field to require it.

I work several fields in my area that need at least a mention of it, and that mention usually comes up when discussing ground rules.

@humanbackstop19, there's another thread about a fielder in DBT touching a live ball; some of the discussion involves throwing from DBT.  

15 hours ago, Rich Ives said:

No.  But you'd need to have an unusually shaped field to require it.

There's a specific complex here where the bullpens are in play but tucked into a sharp corner behind the tail end of the dugout. The fence goes 90 degrees into foul territory, and then angles back into the right field corner. The home coach always tries to tell us that players can't throw over the corner created by the end of the dugout/start of the bullpen, but we just establish that that area is in fact in play. And then, if it were to ever come up (which I've yet to see), we would just treat it as any other part of the field. 

And don't even get me started on the amount of times I hear "catch and carry." :Facepalm:

• Like 1