Jump to content

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
  • 0
Guest MA Ump

What is the proper way to handle

Question

Guest MA Ump

I was behind the plate recently, and the catchers for both teams were very chatty, not just with me but with the batters.  Nothing inappropriate was ever said by either catcher and normally I have no problem with a little bit of back and forth.  In fact, some of the conversations were pretty amusing and I found myself chuckling a few times.  I did not find any of the banter distracting, and was able to focus and call what was seemingly a good game.  Then in the 6th inning, the coach of the team that is behind comes up to me and tells me that his batters have been complaining about how "distracting" the catcher has been and wants me to put a stop to it.  After letting him know that his catcher was guilty too, we had a quick talk with the other head coach, and we put an end to it without incident.  These kids must have seen Bull Durham a few too many times or something.  My question, and this was OBR, but I am interested in what you think about other rule sets too is whether or not this violates any rules?  Was I wrong in letting this continue, or should we as Umps squash this before it gets to the point where a HC has to come out and talk to me about it?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
9 minutes ago, Guest MA Ump said:

I was behind the plate recently, and the catchers for both teams were very chatty, not just with me but with the batters.  Nothing inappropriate was ever said by either catcher and normally I have no problem with a little bit of back and forth.  In fact, some of the conversations were pretty amusing and I found myself chuckling a few times.  I did not find any of the banter distracting, and was able to focus and call what was seemingly a good game.  Then in the 6th inning, the coach of the team that is behind comes up to me and tells me that his batters have been complaining about how "distracting" the catcher has been and wants me to put a stop to it.  After letting him know that his catcher was guilty too, we had a quick talk with the other head coach, and we put an end to it without incident.  These kids must have seen Bull Durham a few too many times or something.  My question, and this was OBR, but I am interested in what you think about other rule sets too is whether or not this violates any rules?  Was I wrong in letting this continue, or should we as Umps squash this before it gets to the point where a HC has to come out and talk to me about it?

 

I think you handled it perfectly.   There's no rule about this, period.   Had they been ahead, I'll guarantee the losing team would have been completely silent on the matter.

Good job !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
  • 0

There's no rule against talking in baseball. There's also no way you can determine with any degree of objectivity that any of the batters are distracted to the point of having to invoke some rule to put a stop to it... whichever one it could be. As far as I'm concerned, this isn't under the purview of an umpire. What is under an umpire's purview is behavior governed by the rules like taunting, intentionally throwing at a batter, obstruction and interference. However, none of those seem to have happened.

If you were inclined to get involved -- and that's a slippery slope when the incident only involves repartee -- talk with the catchers about it. Those guys are the guys you're with all game and do a little behind-the-scenes strategizing and preventive officiating with.

So to answer your question, no you weren't wrong to let it continue given your description. Plus you can't really tell people to stop talking anyway. That's just being a red ass in my book. Sounds like once it got to the point where the coaches were bothered by it, you handled it well.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

When I played, I was encouraged to distract the batters with as much banter as I could. As long as it didn't get personal, it was fine.

you handled it well from a game management perspective.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
3 hours ago, LMSANS said:

When I played, I was encouraged to distract the batters with as much banter as I could. As long as it didn't get personal, it was fine.

you handled it well from a game management perspective.

I would occasionally tell jokes behind the plate, and then say the punchline just as the pitch was delivered.  Once I actually made the umpire laugh and he missed the pitch - he rewarded me a strike for the good joke.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

When I was a catcher, if we had a "big game" the next day, I always asked mom to make some baked beans for dinner.....................

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 hour ago, Aging_Arbiter said:

When I was a catcher, if we had a "big game" the next day, I always asked mom to make some baked beans for dinner.....................

The game within the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
10 hours ago, Aging_Arbiter said:

When I was a catcher, if we had a "big game" the next day, I always asked mom to make some baked beans for dinner.....................

I haven't run into this guy yet.....But I've met a cousin of his who doesn't use deodorant for a few days before the "big game" :agasp_:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

I call an adult league where I'm certain a couple of the catchers haven't laundered their jerseys for 2-3 seasons. 

It's really despicable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
2 hours ago, VolUmp said:

I call an adult league where I'm certain a couple of the catchers haven't laundered their jerseys for 2-3 seasons. 

It's really despicable. 

And I've been "emergency" call-in on High School games back in Wisconsin where I'm certain the varsity umpire who is my partner hasn't laundered his navy shirt, nor dry cleaned his pants, nor purchased a new hat in 2-3 seasons.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×