Humor

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2470 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Day three of a high school tournament.

It was my turn on the dish after working the previous game on the bases.   A total of 25 or 26 runs had been scored in game 3.    It was agony.

On the way to our cars between games 3 and 4, I found a wiffle ball along the pathway.   As I changed into my plate gear, I told my partner that I was going to put the wiffle ball in my ball bag, and we head back to start game 4.  On the way in, he dares me to tell the coaches about it.

After a brief plate conference, I inform the home team coach that I'd need two more game balls before we start, and then reached into the bag and grabbed the wiffle, and told the two coaches "We'll get things going with this one."

They both cracked up, and thought that might get us wrapped up in about 45 minutes.

Alas, no such luck.   Another game where about 23 runs were scored.   

Not sure how old you are but I'd be surprised if it was a wiffle ball. Wiffle is a brand name for plastic ball that are half solid and half with holes so it curves. Maybe it is a wiffle ball but I had dozens of pickle balls when I coached and I haven't seen a wiffle ball in years.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, KenBAZ said:

Not sure how old you are but I'd be surprised if it was a wiffle ball. Wiffle is a brand name for plastic ball that are half solid and half with holes so it curves. Maybe it is a wiffle ball but I had dozens of pickle balls when I coached and I haven't seen a wiffle ball in years.

My dad keeps three or so in his truck, ready to go at any empty parking lot. 

For whatever reason it seems like everyone under 30 or so refers to pickle balls as wiffle balls. I guess because kids don't play wiffle ball in the backyard much anymore.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KenBAZ said:

I'm not sure how old I am either. 

Growing up, we had wiffle ball leagues. Ahhh, the good old days.

It was great for hand-eye coordination, you really had to watch the ball hit the bat, with all of the odd stuff you can do with the ball. Every year there is a local news guy that runs a charity tournament - they use the 'real' balls, but bats can be doctored.

• 2 weeks later...