Alan Porter - Daniel Murphy exchange

udbrky
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2478 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Hard to know what's going on there. I had a F6 (adult league) tell me that I couldn't work in C position and to get my ass over to the other side of the infield. Players can make unreasonable demands.

As usual, what happens in MLB, stays in MLB: whatever the history between those two, it just got a little more complicated, and that's not a good model for amateur umpires.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, udbrky said:

I think the weirdest part is that Porter just keeps talking - to whom? He seems pretty you mad, bro? imo.

Murphey seemed to be jawing too, it's just better TV to show an angry umpire. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Catch18 said:

Porter mouthed early in the video "I'm not going that far...". The announcers are wrong, as my guess is he moved some just not as far as Murphy wanted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That would not be a normal deep B so he already had moved left as much as he could, probably too much. I think I've seen some steal calls in MLB at 2B where I wondered why U2 was running to call the play. It might be they are adjusting that far but it compromises positioning for the steal.

The fielder can move too...it's not like he needs that small amount of space with respect to what he needs to field his position. I will accommodate as much as possible, but there will come a time where I deserve a spot on the field as well. We need to work with the infielders, not for the infielders. 

8 hours ago, johnnyg08 said:

The fielder can move too...it's not like he needs that small amount of space with respect to what he needs to field his position. I will accommodate as much as possible, but there will come a time where I deserve a spot on the field as well. We need to work with the infielders, not for the infielders. 

Can someone, such as @beerguy55 or @Rich Ives , explain to me why fielders don't just take a step over instead of having us do it? Seeing how much they vary their position from play to play, is starting position as vital to infielders as it is to umpires? 

Not trying to sound like "umpires over players" or anything, I've just always been curious. 

6 hours ago, Stk004 said:

Can someone, such as @beerguy55 or @Rich Ives , explain to me why fielders don't just take a step over instead of having us do it? Seeing how much they vary their position from play to play, is starting position as vital to infielders as it is to umpires? 

Not trying to sound like "umpires over players" or anything, I've just always been curious. 

I'm not either person, but simple geometry explains it: whatever the fielder is trying to see, the umpire is closer to it than the fielder. So the umpire has to move much less to clear the line of sight than the fielder would.

well Murphy needs every inch he can get... :D

I would think with all the spray charts and metrics now used in MLB, that teams have the positioning down to the inch, now the exchange looks bad from both sides IMHO.

9 hours ago, Stk004 said:

Yes, starting position is vital to the infielders.  They want to be in the place that gives them the greatest chance to get a ball in either direction and they position themselves, or the coach positions them, to do so.  They need to be close enough to second to cover a steal.  Or double play depth.  And still get to most balls in their area.   One step in either direction is a significant difference in a game of inches.   They also want to be able to see the catcher giving the signals.

Even the centre fielders need it too.  Both position, and seeing the signals from the catcher.

I remember as far back as 12/13/14 years old playing centre field and calling "Mr. Umpire - one step please".  I never ever had a problem with Blue accommodating.

As as @maven said - if Blue needs to move a step, the infielder needs to move two, and the centre fielder probably needs to move three steps.

Having said that, I have never seen any scenario in my life where I needed an umpire to move more than one step in any direction.    In reality, the player can/will move partially - it's not like they need their two feet planted in one exact spot - but there's only so far they can move left or right before they are "out of position"  (my assumption is that is also true for the ump) - at that point is where I have asked, and encouraged my players to ask, the umpire to move a shade....player moves half a step left, ump moves half a step right, everyone's good.

9 hours ago, Stk004 said:

It's because the fielder is where he feels he needs to be to properly field his position given the combination of batter-pitcher-and pitch selection for the current pitch.  This position will change based on these factors which is why you see all the shifts for different batters. 

You might also want to notice that after every pitch signal F6 will turn to F4 and signal who is covering 2B on a steal.  This is customarily done by closed mouth = me, open mouth = you.

• Like 1

Whenever a fielder asks me to move left or right, I simply step FORWARD with the foot they're asking me to move. Move right, step forward with right foot, etc.

Just by stepping forward it keeps my angles and positioning the same an gives the fielder a wider view. Never has a fielder asked me to continue to move after I've done that. Just my $0.02