Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Gfoley4

Game management Q

Cal Ripken Majors 50/75' Close play at pickoff at first base. I bang the out as BU. As I jog back to 'A' I hear "that's horrible" and "that's 2!" from the offensive head coach at third base. (Truthfully I have no idea what "1" was, not that it really matters) What should be the best way to handle this? I didn't think yelling across the diamond across the diamond at him would be best. Just ignore it? 

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
18 minutes ago, Gfoley4 said:

Cal Ripken Majors 50/75' Close play at pickoff at first base. I bang the out as BU. As I jog back to 'A' I hear "that's horrible" and "that's 2!" from the offensive head coach at third base. (Truthfully I have no idea what "1" was, not that it really matters) What should be the best way to handle this? I didn't think yelling across the diamond across the diamond at him would be best. Just ignore it? 

For me it depends several other factors, and may well be a HTBT. Is this the first negative comment from the guy, or it he a constant pain? How loud was he? What was his tone? Does he clear have the intention of taking game management control away from you with his comment, i.e... insighting others to join in?

For some guys 'counting calls' is an automatic EJ, but if I'm made aware of the counting because I have rabbit ears, and it was the first negative comment I heard, I may ignore it. In fact, I've ignored very similar comments because I didn't think it was worth dealing with, and the there were no clear consequences to NOT dealing with it. 

On the other hand, I tossed an assistant coach once for making an almost identical comment in a different context, with significant volume and bad intentions. 

If you need to deal with it without ejecting the guy, I agree, don't discredit yourself by screaming across the diamond. But it's acceptable to calmly walk to a spot where he can hear your normal voice, and simply let him know that he was heard, and it's enough. Then turn around, walk away, and let him hang himself.

• Like 1

You know the general idea of ignore, acknowledge, warn, eject? I would not ignore his yelling at you entirely, but how you deal with it depends, doesn't it? Had he been a jerk all along? Did he persist in his comments? I agree that yelling across the diamond is not a great idea, but did you shorten his leash for the rest of the game? At the least, you might quietly say to the AC at first something like, "You can let your partner know that he's this close to making you HC for the rest of the game." If the HC wants to go, he will ultimately eject himself.

• Like 1

Ask yourself this, would it be OK with the coach, if you stood in A and yelled at him about getting someone thrown out at the plate?  If the answer is no, then I believe you have the answer to your original question about handling him yelling at you.  If he wants to discuss a call with you, he needs to call time out, be a man and come out and talk with you, not stand in the coaches box or dugout and yell at you.

• Like 1

I have seen guys just hold the stop sign up. It acknowledges you heard him (this time) and you have had enough. It works like a subtle warning.

5 minutes ago, beerguy55 said:

I suppose mooning him is out of the question?

Nothing is ever out of the question...it's a matter of accepting the consequences.

• Like 4

I had a similar one in HS this year, except it was 1BC.  Banger at 1B, I jog back to A and as I am turning around, he looks at me and says "That's Two!".  I called time, walked over to him and explained that if he is challenging my integrity, that's the same as calling me a cheater, which also implies that I am favoring the other team.  I then suggested that he refrain from any other comments, before one of us had to take action on his comments.  Besides, the view wasn't good from where their driver parked the bus .

At the half inning, I jogged to HP and timed it so the HC was coming from 3BC box just as I arrived.  "Marty, please make a note that we have a warning for the AC for the visiting team", I turned a jogged back to shallow RF.  I find out after the game that while the HC was there, he asked my partner if he had to keep the AC in the dugout, to which my partner replied, "I don't think that would be a bad idea at this point".

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aging_Arbiter said:

I had a similar one in HS this year, except it was 1BC.  Banger at 1B, I jog back to A and as I am turning around, he looks at me and says "That's Two!".  I called time, walked over to him and explained that if he is challenging my integrity, that's the same as calling me a cheater, which also implies that I am favoring the other team.  I then suggested that he refrain from any other comments, before one of us had to take action on his comments.  Besides, the view wasn't good from where their driver parked the bus .

At the half inning, I jogged to HP and timed it so the HC was coming from 3BC box just as I arrived.  "Marty, please make a note that we have a warning for the AC for the visiting team", I turned a jogged back to shallow RF.  I find out after the game that while the HC was there, he asked my partner if he had to keep the AC in the dugout, to which my partner replied, "I don't think that would be a bad idea at this point".

Just once...please, just once I would love to see, after a coach makes a couple of boneheaded decisions (sending a runner home to be thrown out by 15 feet, calling for a bunt in a dumb situation, whatever) to see an umpire look over and say "That's two!"

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, beerguy55 said:

Just once...please, just once I would love to see, after a coach makes a couple of boneheaded decisions (sending a runner home to be thrown out by 15 feet, calling for a bunt in a dumb situation, whatever) to see an umpire look over and say "That's two!"

I have been known to tell base coaches in wreck ball when they keep trying to call runners safe from the coaches box, that if they "continue to do my job (albeit incorrectly), to not be upset when I make a pitching change for them.  They seem to get a handle on themselves fairly quickly.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Aging_Arbiter said:

I have been known to tell base coaches in wreck ball when they keep trying to call runners safe from the coaches box, that if they "continue to do my job (albeit incorrectly), to not be upset when I make a pitching change for them.  They seem to get a handle on themselves fairly quickly.

After our 3bc sent a runner home to an inevitable demise (like the catcher caught the ball, had a cup of coffee, did a crossword puzzle, and then tagged the runner) I asked the PU if that was the easiest call he's ever had to make.  After getting a definitive yes I asked if there was any way I can appeal the coach's decision to send the runner...or if he could eject the coach for me as a possible impostor working for the other team.

• Like 3

Ignore and move on. With your back to him there is nothing good that could come from it. He said it, Didn't continue. Next play.

HC: "Can I be ejected for what I'm thinking?"

PU: "Nope."

HC: "Good. I think you really suck."

PU: "You're gone. But you may keep thinking it from the team bus."