Obviously dumb. But is it illegal?

Guest Guest
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2517 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Guest Guest

Pitcher engages mound in stretch. Comes set legally. Then goes into a full windup from the set position and pitches. Obviously any intelligent baserunner would take off for second base as soon as he started his "windup" but is this a balk? 

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

8 answers to this question

2 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

Pitcher engages mound in stretch. Comes set legally. Then goes into a full windup from the set position and pitches. Obviously any intelligent baserunner would take off for second base as soon as he started his "windup" but is this a balk? 

Depends on the rules. In LL majors and below it's a legal move.

Guest Guest (OP)

Sorry this is in a 90 foot field with OBR rules. 13-14 year old kids just learning how to pitch from the stretch and hold runners on etc

4 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

Pitcher engages mound in stretch. Comes set legally. Then goes into a full windup from the set position and pitches.

Complete with a step back, pivot and the whole shebang? Technically, yes it is a balk. Have umpires let that go before, cognizant of the context / circumstances (13U "Learner ball")? If runners aren't being deceived / picked off / thrown out, and we don't have a no-pitch, then yes, umpires have let those slide.

As said, though, technically, it is a balk. A step towards a base – which a full windup usually entails – without a throw to that base or a legal disengagement is a balk. If this is competitive 13U ball, they should have learned and practiced this in 12U 50-70 baseball. If this is "Learner ball", I would be more lenient in regards to explanations. The balk would have to be called, but I would allow a coach to step from the dugout (not cross the chalk, unless he wants a charged conference) and guide/coach the F1 as to what he did wrong and how to fix it. With the ball dead, if the F1 wants to try it and get my approval, a simple "Yup, that works" or "No, not right yet" will suffice. I certainly won't go out to the mound and explain it to him, nor will I demonstrate something in any way.

30 minutes ago, pnewton said:

Would this not be covered in OBR by the new "hybrid stance" ruling that the pitcher must declare they will wind up from what looks like a set position?

I think that the hybrid thing is more specifically about foot position.  Reading the OP, it appears that F1 was actually combining the set 'stop' and then (somehow) doing a full windup after the stop.  

51 minutes ago, noumpere said:

I seem to recall that Wendelstadt (and maybe others) have this as legal -- precisely for the reason mentioned:  The runner is going to advance on a steal anyway.

Yes but now he has to tell the runner and umps that he is going to windup. To give them few milliseconds more jump.