Rules For Tournament

GPblue
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2519 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, GPblue said:

We have an organization that runs a bunch of tournaments and has created a test for us to take to make sure we are following their rules. It is pretty self explanatory.  Thought you all would appreciate this.

http://www.playacbaseball.com/umpire-test.php

1. Should I start the pre-game meeting 5 minutes before game time to notify the Coaches of the Rules and my expectations on how they should act and what they should expect from us? Also, how they should approach me if they have a question, warn them for arguing balls and strikes, etc.

No

I assume you were offering the test itself for our entertainment, but I looked at the tournament rules themselves. Besides the oddity on the test Jimurray pointed out, there are several rules peculiarities, e.g., like the rule requiring runners to avoid contact, not just attempt to avoid ("In the event of a close play the runner must avoid contact."). Also, I have never heard of the "marriage rule"--well, as applied to baseball, and not to SWMBO.

Is there a "passing" grade? Easy enough to take the test "open book," like PIAA has now done for all sports. Where do most of ACB's umpires come from? Pittsburgh, Ohio or WV?

29 minutes ago, LRZ said:

I assume you were offering the test itself for our entertainment, but I looked at the tournament rules themselves. Besides the oddity on the test Jimurray pointed out, there are several rules peculiarities, e.g., like the rule requiring runners to avoid contact, not just attempt to avoid ("In the event of a close play the runner must avoid contact."). Also, I have never heard of the "marriage rule"--well, as applied to baseball, and not to SWMBO.

Is there a "passing" grade? Easy enough to take the test "open book," like PIAA has now done for all sports. Where do most of ACB's umpires come from? Pittsburgh, Ohio or WV?

I didn't se a reference to marriage, however, it's a common practice in LLI for a starter and a substitute to be "married" to each other In the BO 

1 minute ago, stkjock said:

I didn't se a reference to marriage, however, it's a common practice in LLI for a starter and a substitute to be "married" to each other In the BO 

It was in the tournament rules, not the test: "If you are NOT Roster Batting, regular substitution rules apply. Games can start with 6 Players. Players can be added to the batting order in the order they arrive. Batting Spots 7-9 will be outs until enough players arrive. NO MARRIAGE RULE IN 2016."

What does it mean? Do the two "married" players alternate turns at bat?

1 hour ago, Jimurray said:

1. Should I start the pre-game meeting 5 minutes before game time to notify the Coaches of the Rules and my expectations on how they should act and what they should expect from us? Also, how they should approach me if they have a question, warn them for arguing balls and strikes, etc.

No

No. 26 is the giveaway to No. 1.   LOL

1 hour ago, LRZ said:

It was in the tournament rules, not the test: "If you are NOT Roster Batting, regular substitution rules apply. Games can start with 6 Players. Players can be added to the batting order in the order they arrive. Batting Spots 7-9 will be outs until enough players arrive. NO MARRIAGE RULE IN 2016."

What does it mean? Do the two "married" players alternate turns at bat?

Ah, I only looked at the quiz   

No they don't alternate, in LLI, it goes to min playing requirements for a sub, they must have one AB and 6 consecutive defensive outs before being taken out.  Once that is completed, they can bat in place of the starter, IIRC.  But they must bat only in that same spot. 

13 hours ago, BrianC14 said:

Are you asking us all to take this quiz?    :laugh:

No I wanted to just bring this to other's attention.  I wasn't sure how other organizations inform their umpires of their rules and ensure they are looking at them.  This tournament is held on fields all across the Pittsburgh area, so the person that runs the tournament I have literally never met him face to face.  

The group I am involved in is in the North suburbs of Pittsburgh and we handle 4-5 fields and play 14u-18u.  The officials for the most part are assigned based on their geography. Myself I live in a different county just northwest of Pittsburgh, so I am sent to a college field about 20 minutes from my house.

If anyone in the area is interested, I know they are always looking for quality umpires.  I know in certain levels of the tournament(fields I don't go to) the assignor does a poor job of communicating to the umpires who their partners are. So we have heard that guys will show up wearing different colors, wearing their HS gear, dirty uniforms, etc.