Would You Toss?

jonathantullos
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2187 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

As a coach, if I saw it, I'd probably bench him (context would matter).   Problem is, at the time, you're typically watching the ball, not whatever show the batter is trying to put on.

But as a rule, I want my players to act like they've been there before.  This is unnecessary, and it's a "me" moment, not a team moment.

There's no I in "team" but there is a U in ....

• 9 months later...
On 6/7/2017 at 9:53 AM, grayhawk said:

Forget the bat flip, I'm trying to figure out why the plate umpire called time not once, but twice after the home run.

Mechanics,  didn’t see a dinger signal over the head either...

Warning at minimum.. celebrating a big homerun is one thing but this is just over the top and uncalled for at the HS level especially into the field of play. 

• 2 weeks later...

Is it taunting? Is this worse then a kid who hits a bombs and pumps his fist around the bases the whole time? Is this worse than the kid who takes forever walking around the bases? Is this worse than standing at home plate to admire it?

Bat flips are celebrating more than taunting. The kid did it to celebrate not show up the other team. 

I am going to say something to the kid to deter it but quietly and not make a scene. If pitchers then hits the next kid or that batter next time up I issue warning to both teams. 

FED rules have become much  more clear with regards to issuing warnings prior to ejections, except for the most serious infractions. IT's not the umpire's are getting softer. If you make an ejection that your State Association finds warranted a warning prior to the EJ, you will have some questions to answer. 

Also, with respect to HS coaches, the penalties for getting ejected are pretty substantial and most don't want to test fate. 

On 3/30/2018 at 3:33 PM, Minnz said:

Is it taunting? Is this worse then a kid who hits a bombs and pumps his fist around the bases the whole time? Is this worse than the kid who takes forever walking around the bases? Is this worse than standing at home plate to admire it?

Bat flips are celebrating more than taunting. The kid did it to celebrate not show up the other team. 

I am going to say something to the kid to deter it but quietly and not make a scene. If pitchers then hits the next kid or that batter next time up I issue warning to both teams. 

Would you have a different response if the bat came down on the ump's or catcher's head, instead of landing a couple of feet away?   Your response should be the same regardless.

Punish the act, not the result.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/2/2018 at 2:28 PM, beerguy55 said:

Would you have a different response if the bat came down on the ump's or catcher's head, instead of landing a couple of feet away?   Your response should be the same regardless.

Punish the act, not the result.

Are we talking about safety or taunting?  They are two different issues. If a kid throws his hands at an outside pitch to save a hit and run, loses the bat and it hits the pitcher square do you eject him for malicious contact with the bat?  The result was a bat striking a player. The act was a normal swing to protect a runner.

To me he did not taunt. The act was celebration.

40 minutes ago, Minnz said:

Are we talking about safety or taunting?  They are two different issues. If a kid throws his hands at an outside pitch to save a hit and run, loses the bat and it hits the pitcher square do you eject him for malicious contact with the bat?  The result was a bat striking a player. The act was a normal swing to protect a runner.

To me he did not taunt. The act was celebration.

They are only two different issues if you treat them differently by the result - which is why I asked the question, and said it shouldn't matter - your answer better be the same whether or not the bat hits the umpire.

Would your answer change if the bat hit the umpire/catcher as it came down?   Doesn't matter if you think it's taunting or safety.  It's a taunting issue or it's not, regardless of where the bat lands.  It's a safety issue or it's not, regardless of where the bat lands.  If you're going to call it if the bat cracks the umpire in the head you need to call it if the bat lands two feet to his right.

It may have been a celebration, but it was reckless and is a far cry from throwing/releasing your bat after a hit, or throwing the bat to hit an outside pitch, which are more contextual than a gratuitous celebration.