Make the obvious call?

rzanew
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2521 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

8 hours ago, Richvee said:

I'll say this. I agree call what you see. However, if you have a play like the OP, and you have a runner making a great swim move or hook slide to the back of the bag, indeed, call what you see.....and come up BIG with the call... SAFE...MISSED THE TAG!! or something similar.

Yes -- if the runner attempts to avoid the tag, then you need to watch what happens and call what you see.

That's not how I read the OP, though -- I read it as just a "normal" slide, but to one edge of the side of the base facing the runner, and the tag just missed (note the runners "action" in the first play, and the lack of it in the second) -- here, you don't need to look for the tag -- just get the out. (and, assuming that the tag was down, the glove wasn't lifted too early, etc).

13 minutes ago, noumpere said:

Yes -- if the runner attempts to avoid the tag, then you need to watch what happens and call what you see.

That's not how I read the OP, though -- I read it as just a "normal" slide, but to one edge of the side of the base facing the runner, and the tag just missed (note the runners "action" in the first play, and the lack of it in the second) -- here, you don't need to look for the tag -- just get the out. (and, assuming that the tag was down, the glove wasn't lifted too early, etc).

HMMM..I think you're right. After a second reading, it does sound like the slide was straight into the front of the bag with glove down there in front of the bag also. In that case, I'm 99% sure a piece of the shoe touched a piece of that glove. ^_^

Years ago, in a legion game, I had a sure out at third. The throw came in, F5 swept his glove down and then up in a big flourish--but the runner hadn't arrived yet! When he did, a second later, "Safe, no tag!" I can still hear the coach and the crowd yelling about neighborhood plays and teaching the kids to swipe tag to avoid injury. Yeah, but the fielder has gotta come close to actually tagging the runner.

JV 2 man HS game... R1, 1 out. Hit to F6 who makes a not so great throw to F4 who while on the run to 2nd had to make a stretch and a small leap... ball was there in plenty of time but he was in the air and never touched the base. Turns and throws to first to complete the attempted double.

Safe, Out, back to 2nd safe, off the bag. Skip comes out... ball was there etc, etc. 

Coach he was in the air and not just barely off the base (the onlly I saw it scenario) but demonstrability off the base. Coach tries to give me the 'level of play, gotta get that out, expected play...' My reply was coach, I called what I saw. Your fielder was in the air and never made contact with the bag. Runner at 2nd is safe, runner at 1st is out so lets play baseball.

Sometimes you get paid to umpire... 50% of the fans loved this call and 50% hated it...

1 hour ago, Mudisfun said:

Coach tries to give me the 'level of play, gotta get that out, expected play...'

And that same dude would have been chewing your ear off about how "nobody learns if you don't go by the book" and "you're taking it away from the kids" if you'd have called his runner out when the other team made the same crappy play.

7 hours ago, CJK said:

And that same dude would have been chewing your ear off about how "nobody learns if you don't go by the book" and "you're taking it away from the kids" if you'd have called his runner out when the other team made the same crappy play.

Pretty much sums up what I said to him.

On 5/20/2017 at 11:41 AM, ElkOil said:

This year I was BU for a varsity scrimmage. R1, I'm in B. Runner goes. Throw comes down in plenty of time. R1 goes in head-first and short-arms the bag with his left, tagging it with his right. The tag missed. I call safe. Out comes the coach.

"The ball was there in time!"

"I know, but he missed the tag."

In disbelief, he asked, "How did he miss the tag?!"

"You'll have to ask your player. He didn't tag him."

A week or two ago.....

Play extremely similar to yours, but I had a high throw and miserable tag attempt, which led to the runners foot getting in there. "SAFE" 

Coach comes out. At first it looked like he was going to the mound, but last second I realized he was coming to talk to me. 

DC: "The throw was there in plenty of time, did he miss the tag?"

Me: "Yep."

DC to his F4: "Put the f*#@%$! tag on him!" 

Then the DC went peacefully back to his dugout. 

• Like 1

On 5/21/2017 at 1:01 AM, Richvee said:

I'll say this. I agree call what you see. However, if you have a play like the OP, and you have a runner making a great swim move or hook slide to the back of the bag, indeed, call what you see.....and come up BIG with the call... SAFE...MISSED THE TAG!! or something similar.

Had a game this week and my neophyte BU made a safe call on a  pick off at1B. Kid did a great swim move, and got back in, even though the throw beat him. He got a little crap from the OHC. In our post game, he told me he was 100% sure there was no tag, the swim move was made perfect. I complemented him on calling what he saw, but added, if he came up big on the call, he may have prevented the confrontation with the OHC.

I could not agree more.

Play at first but fielder bobbled the ball--call it while giving the bobble signal.'

Was F 3's foot off the bag--Call it--"Safe--She's off the Bag!!

F3 dropped the ball--"Safe--Safe--Ball is down."

Close play on second but runner beat the tag by a heartbeat--Safe. Safe. She's in there!

Or "Safe Safe--tagged her on the base."

Etc. etc

And yes, I used she because it  is still softball season

I could not agree more.
Play at first but fielder bobbled the ball--call it while giving the bobble signal.'
Was F 3's foot off the bag--Call it--"Safe--She's off the Bag!!
F3 dropped the ball--"Safe--Safe--Ball is down."
Close play on second but runner beat the tag by a heartbeat--Safe. Safe. She's in there!
Or "Safe Safe--tagged her on the base."
Etc. etc
And yes, I used she because it  is still softball season

Of those statements given, I disagree with "safe, tagged her on the base." That sort of goes back to the English lesson earlier on "he made it, but he's out."

On basic tag plays, safe is just safe. Descriptions are only needed if something funky occurs like a dropped ball, a close/missed tag, etc.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ALStripes17 said:

Of those statements given, I disagree with "safe, tagged her on the base." That sort of goes back to the English lesson earlier on "he made it, but he's out."

On basic tag plays, safe is just safe. Descriptions are only needed if something funky occurs like a dropped ball, a close/missed tag, etc.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Oh no..... here we go again!

Make the obvious call.....and timing..... all coming into focus....  just this evening, college summer league, R1 goes around 2B on a single, figures he can stretch it to 3B.... the ball is literally waiting for him... he gives and then quickly takes away a left hip... F5 makes a swipe... misses, then plants the end of his glove to the leg of the runner.... I'm about ready to soft-sell an 'OUT' call... when the ball falls out of F5's glove, and the runner quickly extends his foot to touch the base.    I barely even verbalized it... didn't have to.    Practically whispered "He's safe!" and gave the international hand signal for 'bobbled'.    

Timing is everything.