This is why I umpire

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2463 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

2 hours ago, BrianC14 said:

Pretty cool.   You've been outgrown, too !   And is this the same field.... 16 years later?

Yeah, and I'm 6'1".

Same field. It was new in the first picture. and still a pretty cool place. Rancho Buena Vista LL, Vista, CA. The kids even went to Williamsport in '05.

Seems like a long time ago when we started our Junior umpire program.

JrUmps.jpg

• Like 2

On Thu May 18 2017 at 9:57 PM, kylejt said:

Yeah, and I'm 6'1".

Same field. It was new in the first picture. and still a pretty cool place. Rancho Buena Vista LL, Vista, CA. The kids even went to Williamsport in '05.

Seems like a long time ago when we started our Junior umpire program.

JrUmps.jpg

Love the two kids in the bottom right. Can't tell me that wasn't planned by them. Lol

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 11:07 AM, BT_Blue said:

Love the two kids in the bottom right. Can't tell me that wasn't planned by them. Lol

Plus the kid to the left is still making up his mind, using proper timing.

Yes, it was staged.

I sent a few of them to the Western Region Junior Umpire Training Academy. The one week in San Bernadino. And they came back pretty damn sharp.

And some of those guys have kids of their own now, and will be filtering back to our league. Think of the knowledge they'll bring back with them.

My son coached Majors, Juniors, Freshman and Varsity baseball. And if you missed a rotation, you'd hear about it. Varsity umpires used to tell me he'd shout out stuff like "If you were in the Library, you'd have seen that!". Not really loud enough to embarrass them, but just loud enough to be heard by the BU. Stuff that coaches don't know about. And they'd also tell me he was right (most of the time).

• Like 1

@Aging_Arbiter thanks!

My son called a Minor B playoff game the other night and did a real good job. It is cool working games with your kid and seeing him make decisions and run the game. Not bad for only being 13...

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

My 14 year old daughter started as an ump this year. It was a great feeling but she thinks I am going to hook her up since I am her boss at work lol. She gets treated just like the rest of the umps. She started tball and by the end of this season was doing 10u boys behind the plate, has a good zone too. Had a coach start getting mad at her one game and she stood there and smiled at him, could not have been more proud.