Pitcher Re-entry

Pops
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2526 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I thought I understood the pitcher re-entry rules until yesterday.  A freshman level coach was so persistent in his rulebook knowledge that I started questioning it myself.

Here is the scenario:  The starting pitcher left the game in the 4th inning for a substitute. Then later in the game, the original starting pitcher re-entered as a second baseman.  This is when the coach insisted that he could only be re-entered as a pitcher.  When I got home, I hit the rule book.

The rules governing pitching substitutions are found in section 3.  Rule 3-1-2 states that a player who is removed as pitcher can return as pitcher only once per inning.  There is no mention of returning only as pitcher later in the game.  Rule 3-1-3 says that any of the starting players may be withdrawn and re-entered once...and that the pitcher is governed by article 2.  

So are there any other rules which address pitchers returning into the game?

He has to return to the same spot in the batting order, what position he plays is of no concern, provided he meets the requirements of 3-1-2 as you noted. The coach was wrong. Shocking, I know.

• Like 2

As you found, FED separates pitching restrictions from substitution rules.

The player who starts the game as F1 is a starter and has re-entry privileges. His coach removed him, then re-entered him legally and removed the sub. Fielders can play anywhere on defense, and re-entering players must bat in their original lineup spot. None of this has to do with his being a pitcher.

No pitching rule was violated by this re-entry.

Legal.

54 minutes ago, Pops said:

I thought I understood the pitcher re-entry rules until yesterday.  A freshman level coach was so persistent in his rulebook knowledge that I started questioning it myself.

Here is the scenario:  The starting pitcher left the game in the 4th inning for a substitute. Then later in the game, the original starting pitcher re-entered as a second baseman.  This is when the coach insisted that he could only be re-entered as a pitcher.  When I got home, I hit the rule book.

It's not what we don't know that gets us in trouble.  It's what we know for sure that just isn't true.

• Like 1

Thanks guys.  I always find it challenging to umpire freshman games when I've been doing upper level. Not only are the players a bit slower and uncoordinated, but the coaches are less experienced as well.  To make matters worse, a lot of the HS freshman games are solo, so there's no partner to confirm stuff like this.  

26 minutes ago, Pops said:

Thanks guys.  I always find it challenging to umpire freshman games when I've been doing upper level. Not only are the players a bit slower and uncoordinated, but the coaches are less experienced as well.  To make matters worse, a lot of the HS freshman games are solo, so there's no partner to confirm stuff like this.  

There's one small caveat that doesn't apply to your sitch.  If the pitcher is removed due to injury, or, if his replacement requires more than 8 warm up pitches (which implies the departing pitcher is injured), he may not return to the game later as a pitcher.

1 hour ago, VolUmp said:

There's one small caveat that doesn't apply to your sitch.  If the pitcher is removed due to injury, or, if his replacement requires more than 8 warm up pitches (which implies the departing pitcher is injured), he may not return to the game later as a pitcher.

... Or if he's removed after three (charged) visits.

But, in the OP, the issue was the player returning to become F4, and that's allowed no matter how / why the pitcher was removed (as long as the pitcher has re-entry rights).

• Like 3