The ejection you HATE to give!

Thawk
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2535 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

So working as BU in a JV game.  Bottom 6, HT up by 2, R2.  R2 attempts to steal 3B, F2 throws down to F5.  R2 is still only halfway between 2B and 3B when F5 receives the throw - Dead to rights!  R2 instead of maybe scrambling back to 2B, or even trying to avoid a tag, just keeps on running towards 3B, turns his left shoulder towards F5, and trucks him.  Damnit kid!! So I call time, signal the out (F5 held onto the ball), and then ejected R2 for malicious contact.  HC, who was 3B coach, just calmly told his player he's ejected.  Post ejection head shakers; 1) it was the last game of the season, and 2) HT was down to 8 players because they had burned their substitutes.  HT extended their lead (ejection was first out of inning), but that batter's spot was the on-deck spot at the end of the inning.  Would have really sucked if VT had made a comeback, and HT would have had to start the bottom 7th with 1 out.

I have not yet experienced an ejection I have regretted. The two I have had this season are very similar to the one you describe. No doubt in my mind about either, one of which was in the 10th inning of a HS varsity game.

Think of the ramifications if you did not dump the offender. Allow one of the monkeys to fling poo and soon the entire troupe is flinging and you have a real sh&*%show.

My .02. YMMV

• Like 1

MC is something you should be 100% about before you call it, and if you are then that's not on you. If I'm unsure I will call an out for illegal slide/not making a attempt to avoid contact

Either way be sure and confident if what you call. don't let the game outcome effect your calling. 

• Like 2

@Kevin_K, I had no regrets tossing the kid.  It was more along the lines of the father in me wanted to grab him firmly and stare into his eyes and ask "What the hell were you thinking?"

• Like 1