defensive visits

calablue
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2510 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

In OBR, is there any rule that limits how many times per inning a coach can go out and confer with his defense?  I am referring to visits that are not to the mound, do not include the pitcher, and no one goes to the pitcher before the next pitch or play.

I ask because I work mostly Babe Ruth / Cal Ripken, which uses OBR w/modifications an can't find anything in the book on it.  I'm starting to see it more often and think it is being used as a stall tactic to eliminate the possibility of starting a new inning due to time limits.  Oh well, if it's not illegal it's legal.  I guess the league will have to handle it.

10 minutes ago, LRZ said:

Might be legal, but even if so, must an umpire permit it? Does an umpire have to grant a coach's request every time the coach asks? 

I don't see where it's optional

5.12 Calling “Time” and Dead Balls

(b) (5.10) The ball becomes dead when an umpire calls “Time.”
The umpire-in-chief shall call “Time:

(4) When a manager requests “Time” for a substitution, or
for a conference with one of his players.

That is a LL rule, right, Rich? What about OBR, the (modified) rule set in the OP? Unless I've overlooked it, I don't think there is the same or similar provision in OBR. 

A tangential point: in law, "shall" does not always mean a mandatory duty but a "will do" instruction. How do we read "shall" (as mandatory) in light of a manager having to "request" time? Treat the request as a grant and reduce the umpire's role to merely perfunctory? Then "request" isn't the appropriate word. That doesn't seem correct.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LRZ said:

That is a LL rule, right, Rich? What about OBR, the (modified) rule set in the OP? Unless I've overlooked it, I don't think there is the same or similar provision in OBR. 

A tangential point: in law, "shall" does not always mean a mandatory duty but a "will do" instruction. How do we read "shall" (as mandatory) in light of a manager having to "request" time? Treat the request as a grant and reduce the umpire's role to merely perfunctory? Then "request" isn't the appropriate word. That doesn't seem correct.

The OBR and LL rules are the same on the shall bit.

Shall means shall.  Not liking it doesn't change it.

How is this not a visit?

Once a  defensive coach asks/ is granted time and crosses the foul line-- or has a player come to him and then go to other players-- that is a trip in my book.

Or are we confusing this with an offensive conference?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, White47 said:

Unless he is tending to an injured player anytime the coach crosses foul line I've got it as a visit. Which you get one each inning in OBR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually you are allowed one visit per pitcher per inning in OBR.

According to the MLBUM a visit begins when the manager crosses the foul line.

Second trip requires removing him.

• Like 1

The restriction is on visits to the pitcher or to another player who then immediately goes to the pitcher. 

And if the visit starts when the foul line is crossed then the manager can go to the line and confer with any player other than the pitcher then I would contend that it doesn't count either by rule or interp.

3 hours ago, Rich Ives said:

The restriction is on visits to the pitcher or to another player who then immediately goes to the pitcher. 

And if the visit starts when the foul line is crossed then the manager can go to the line and confer with any player other than the pitcher then I would contend that it doesn't count either by rule or interp.

And if he wants to die on that hill, if the player crosses the foul line, I'm calling it a substitution.

11 hours ago, Rich Ives said:

So if the manager wants to confer with his SS every other pitch you are going to allow that?

Then again, have you ever seen a MLB coach hold a defensive huddle with anyone that did not involve the pitcher?

Not saying your wrong, just never heard that interp, and I don't think that's in the spirt of the rule.

But if that's what he wants to do then I'm either not granting time or putting his pitcher on the 20 second clock. That should end that pretty quick. Stalling a game is bush league, especially when your trying to find loop holes in the rules to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk