Had to Keep From Laughing Until After the Game

jlutgen0
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2517 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Had the bases on a 10 year old championship game a couple weeks ago. Team had fallen apart and all of a sudden it was our fault. Past ball and the winning team is trying to steal home, pitcher gets the toss in time but puts down a high tag and my partner calls him safe. I'm in C, and as the pitcher is walking towards me, I notice one fan in particular is yelling at my partner about the call. I shrug it off until I see the ten year old pitcher who's halfway back to the mound stop in his tracks, turn and yell "Mom, shut up. "

It took everything I had to keep from laughing. He took the words right out of my mind. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, BrianC14 said:

I feel bad for their whole family.   Disrespect must be rampant. 

A 'Sportsmanship Award' for a child who tells his mother to shut up?    smh

"Sports doesn't build character, it reveals it."

Speaking truth to power.  Worth some sort of recognition at any rate.  Sports certainly revealed that he has a better grasp of the game than his elders.

Sometimes, your elders are full of the brown stuff.

• Like 1

Couple years back 10yr old TOC game... Kid who has hit an HR and a triple gets up... Bottom of 7th, 2 outs, runners R1/R2, game tied,,, the defensive team pitches around him but don't intentionally walk him. Ball 4 and the next thing I hear is the batters mother BOOING... yelling BOO PITCHER, BOO! Hear her whining about how much she spends on her kids lessons etc... B/R gets to 1st, coach asks for time to change F1 and for one of the few times I addressed the stands about sportsmanship and adults booing 10 year old kids which was just disgusting. 

Next batters comes up, walked, R3 advances, touches home, everyone else touched where they should and game over.

The kids won with grace... the parents? Not so much.

12U 50-70 baseball. The Home team is called the SeaBees, because they're from a community named Colgate, sponsored by the local Honey-jarring/bottling company (thus, Bees). We're in Wisconsin... no where near the ocean.

Well, the SeaBees are trying furiously to close the door on the Pirates, who are visiting from just down the County Trunk Highway, and who have mounted a heated comeback here in the seventh inning. The "closer" is starting to come unglued, and has issued walks, wild pitches, and has thrown pickoff attempts into the neighbor's backyard. However, he has played the previous 6 innings at F6, and probably has the arm most likely to throw strikes... when he's not trying to throw goofy sh!t or pick a runner off. With 2 runs across, a third at 2B (after yet another ball gets away from F2) and the tying run at the plate, HTHC calls for Time and heads to the mound, gesturing all other infielders to gather around. The F2 just wears his HSM, and gets there first. F1 suddenly exclaims, loud enough to frighten birds, to his coach, "Make him stop talking to me!!!", his eyes fixated on his coach while pointing... at his F2!!

I watch all of this intently, and as I walk out there to break it up, the conference disperses, and I ask the pitcher "That ball good, Rooney*?" as there had been drizzle earlier and parts of the field, especially at the backstop where the ball kept going, were still damp. I turn back to the plate, walking behind the catcher, and see "Ro][ey" on the back of his jersey, peeking out from underneath the CP straps.

"So you two are brothers, huh?" I ask as we settle back in.

"Yeah, twins," the catcher replies, "but he's the crazy one."

• Like 4