Ump from NJ

bluejersey
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1747 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Hey guys North NJ ump here. Been doing this since I was 13 and I'm still learning new things or seeing things I've never seen all season long. Hope to learn even more from the guys on here!

3 minutes ago, bluejersey said:

Hey guys North NJ ump here. Been doing this since I was 13 and I'm still learning new things or seeing things I've never seen all season long. Hope to learn even more from the guys on here!

Welcome! How old are you now, if you don't mind me asking? 

3 minutes ago, ElkOil said:

Thank God. There's still time for you to get out of Jersey,

I'm kidding! I'm kidding. Half my family is from Jersey.

But they did all leave. So there's that.

One of these days...

7 hours ago, ElkOil said:

Thank God. There's still time for you to get out of Jersey,

I'm kidding! I'm kidding. Half my family is from Jersey.

But they did all leave. So there's that.

hey now...watch it...It's not all bad. At least for umpiring. It's not like some areas where there's 7 schools in a 200 mile radius. We have hundreds in North Jersey alone. Our pay isn't bad either. So we got that going for us ;)

Welcome @bluejersey. I'm thinking there's a pretty good chance I know you? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Richvee said:

hey now...watch it...It's not all bad. At least for umpiring. It's not like some areas where there's 7 schools in a 200 mile radius. We have hundreds in North Jersey alone. Our pay isn't bad either. So we got that going for us ;)

Get in good with Richvee in Jersey.

Or!!!!!!! (using a little googling geography here) step up your game to NCAA D1 and move to UMP45 territory in Greensboro, NC to maximize your abilities and earning power even if you could care less about money with plenty of NCAA D1 within 200-210 miles.

NC, NC State, Duke, Wake Forest, UVA, VTech, Elon, East Carolina, UNC Charlotte, UNC Wilmington, UNC Greensboro, NCA&T, ASU, Davidson, Campbell, High Point, Radford, Gardner Webb, North Carolina Central, Wofford, Furman, VMI, Winthrop, Presbyterian, Liberty, Longwood, James Madison, East Tennessee State and probably others, (UNC Asheville, URichmond, VCU, Coastal Carolina, USC). The majority of the schools above are assigned through the ACC assignor or designated assistant assignors (non-Con) for the ACC assignor.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Richvee said:

This is very true. There's no shortage of schools and town or club teams in the area.

Thanks for the welcome. I'm sure we've at least crossed paths.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bluejersey said:

Welcome.

Where in north Jersey? I am a former Somerset/Bergen County resident.

now, I'm in PA and wondering if it is just me or hasn't anyone else noticed?  JERSEY is working the ultimate scam!!!  If you want to go to the Jersey Shore (no, not the TV kind), or Atlantic City, Wildwood or Cape May........That fine.  Go enjoy yourself, and I'm sure you'll have a great time.  However, when you get ready to go home, THAT"S when they've gotcha.

See, every bridge that I've been over getting into Joisey is a straight shot right into the "Garden State".  But if you try to LEAVE , you have to pay a toll to get out of the state!!

Also, if you fly into Philly airport at night, you get a CLEAR understanding of the line from Miss Congeniality where Sandra Bullock was asked why NJ was called the Garden State.  Her response seemed fitting...........Because it's too hard to fit "Oil and Petrochemical Refinery State" on a license plate?

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
On 5/6/2017 at 11:58 AM, bluejersey said:

I live in Essex County.

I am originally from Union County. I moved across to PA in 2002. Love it.

Family still in NJ, but it doesn't take me 30 minutes to go to the store to get milk :).

The Lehigh Valley is a great area if you ever leave NJ!

On 5/10/2017 at 7:22 AM, Aging_Arbiter said:

now, I'm in PA and wondering if it is just me or hasn't anyone else noticed?  JERSEY is working the ultimate scam!!!  If you want to go to the Jersey Shore (no, not the TV kind), or Atlantic City, Wildwood or Cape May........That fine.  Go enjoy yourself, and I'm sure you'll have a great time.  However, when you get ready to go home, THAT"S when they've gotcha.

See, every bridge that I've been over getting into Joisey is a straight shot right into the "Garden State".  But if you try to LEAVE , you have to pay a toll to get out of the state!!

Also, if you fly into Philly airport at night, you get a CLEAR understanding of the line from Miss Congeniality where Sandra Bullock was asked why NJ was called the Garden State.  Her response seemed fitting...........Because it's too hard to fit "Oil and Petrochemical Refinery State" on a license plate?

You can escape" for free via the northern route into NY State. They seem to like to charge people for driving over water. 

It is worth noting here that the fee is not for leaving NJ, but rather for entering PA, NY. 

Another piece of trivia, 60% of NJ is covered by pine barrens.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LMSANS said:

That's crazy. Then add all the forest, woodlands and farms up here in the north.....

16 hours ago, LMSANS said:

It is worth noting here that the fee is not for leaving NJ, but rather for entering PA, NY. 

Go down to Monmouth, Burlington, western Somerset, and Hunterdon and you will see amazing farms (horse and crops).  Yeah, Linden and the NJ Turnpike and parts of Mercer and Camden Counties are a bit rough, there is more than meets the eye.

(Bergen County Born, Somerset County raised.)

23 hours ago, Richvee said:

That's crazy. Then add all the forest, woodlands and farms up here in the north.....

My stat may be dated, but when you started at the Driscoll bridge south to Delaware, from a mile or less inland across to Camden/Trenton was all pine trees. Back when route 9 was 2 lanes and dirt shoulder. Burbs have creeped in.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Rich Vee and I just worked a game together for the first time this year. Rich had the plate and he had the honor of banging out the tying run at the plate to end the game in the top of the 7th. We got it done in 1:55. Nice job, Rich!

• Thanks 1