Non-Compliant Batter

urout17
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2514 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

HS varsity game.  I was wondering if anyone every had a batter ignore your request to stay in the batters box ( or at least one foot) after each pitch.  I wasn't sure how to handle this since it's never happened to me in the nearly 20 years of officiating. After each pitch, ball or strike, he'd stroll out, adjust his crap and then get back in at his own pace.  You can just see this kid was arrogant with an attitude.  Outside of warning him I'd have no problem dumping him but then would probably have to dump the head coach too as soon as he came out.  Any other suggestions?

Thanks

If he take 20 sec (I think) you can charge him a strike. Or can do like cowboy joe and have the pitcher throw the ball and then call the pitch, of course that would me a more OBR way of handle it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

31 minutes ago, urout17 said:

HS varsity game.  I was wondering if anyone every had a batter ignore your request to stay in the batters box ( or at least one foot) after each pitch.  I wasn't sure how to handle this since it's never happened to me in the nearly 20 years of officiating. After each pitch, ball or strike, he'd stroll out, adjust his crap and then get back in at his own pace.  You can just see this kid was arrogant with an attitude.  Outside of warning him I'd have no problem dumping him but then would probably have to dump the head coach too as soon as he came out.  Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Blame the coach for his 10,000 signs on each pitch!

Start calling strikes and they'll both get the picture. 

Me personally, I would dust off the plate while telling the batter, "if you step out again on a called strike, you will be getting two!

After a warning of course.  Grab the teaching moments when you can. 

I'll admit this one wasn't the coaches fault.  This kid had no regards for anyone.  When I told him to get in the box he turned and just looked at me.  I wanted to go over there and smack that look off his face.  Funny you say this...."Me personally, I would dust off the plate while telling the batter, "if you step out again on a called strike, you will be getting two!"  I did just that and also added, "Son, you have a lot to learn.".

Warn, then eject.

To warn, I recommend this format: "Time! Coach, I am warning your batter to stop violating the batter's box rule! If he violates again, by rule I will have to eject him." Write it down. That moves the conflict between coach and player.

I've had batters who keep forgetting (I keep reminding, no big deal), but never one who ignored my instructions. I wouldn't take that.

• Like 3

After you officially "warn", a strike should be called on every batter who violates the rule.  

Removing a helmet during live play or faking a tag without the ball after an "official" warning, the penalty is ejection  

A strike is the penalty for delaying for a batter as a ball is the penalty for delaying for the pitcher.  

• Like 1

Unless the previous pitch meets one of the specs that allows the batter to legally leave the batter's box, (swing and miss, catcher misses ball, etc.) the batter does not get 20 seconds to get back in the box.  In my opinion, the easiest and most rule friendly remedy is to instruct the batter to keep one foot in the box.  When he gives you that "arrogant" look, call a strike.  No need for the pitcher to even throw.  Then tell him again to get a foot in the box.  After another sneer, call another strike.  Then you get to eject him and his coach!

If the batter leaves the batter’s box, delays the game, and none of the above exceptions apply, the plate umpire shall charge a strike to the batter. The pitcher need not pitch, and the ball remains live.

• Like 3

By rule, you have no choice but to charge a strike to the batter.

SECTION 3 BATTING INFRACTIONS — A BATTER SHALL NOT: ART. 1 . . . Delay the game by failing to take his position promptly in the batter’s box within 20 seconds. The batter must keep at least one foot in the batter’s box throughout the time at bat. EXCEPTION: A batter may leave the batter’s box when: a.the batter swings at a pitch, b.the batter is forced out of the box by the pitch, c.the batter attempts a “drag bunt,” d.the pitcher or catcher feints or attempts a play at any base, e.the pitcher leaves the dirt area of the pitching mound or takes a position more than five feet from the pitcher’s plate after receiving the ball, f.a member of either team requests and is granted “Time,” g.the catcher leaves the catcher’s box to adjust his equipment or give defensive signals, or h.the catcher does not catch the pitched ball. PENALTY: For failure of the batter to be ready within 20 seconds after the ball has been returned to the pitcher, the umpire shall call a strike. If the batter leaves the batter’s box, delays the game, and none of the above exceptions apply, the plate umpire shall charge a strike to the batter. The pitcher need not pitch, and the ball remains live.

10 hours ago, ElkOil said:

By rule, you have no choice but to charge a strike to the batter.

It depends on the rule, and the behavior.

If we're talking about garden-variety delay of game, then I agree that a "penalty strike" is the right way to go per 7-3-1.

If we're talking about egregious, repeated, and disrespectful refusal to comply with the legitimate order of the umpire per 10-1-1, then a more severe penalty is warranted. That's probably 0.1% of cases, maybe less, as the first penalty strike generally has its intended effect.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, urout17 said:

I'll admit this one wasn't the coaches fault.  This kid had no regards for anyone.  When I told him to get in the box he turned and just looked at me.  I wanted to go over there and smack that look off his face.  Funny you say this...."Me personally, I would dust off the plate while telling the batter, "if you step out again on a called strike, you will be getting two!"  I did just that and also added, "Son, you have a lot to learn.".

It is coach fixable.

• Like 2

In addition, because the ball remains live, if the pitcher delivers legally after the strike award on the batter's box infraction penalty, another strike is awarded if the pitch is in the strike zone.  Is this correct?

42 minutes ago, humanbackstop19 said:

In addition, because the ball remains live, if the pitcher delivers legally after the strike award on the batter's box infraction penalty, another strike is awarded if the pitch is in the strike zone.  Is this correct?

Not exactly!  see 6-2-4d,1

• Like 1

1 hour ago, humanbackstop19 said:

That's a common over-statement of the rule, caused by some erroneous case plays and poor editing by FED when they changed the rule.

Did it with a 12-year old:

Me: "I need you in the box, son"

Him: "I'll get in when I'm ready"

Me: "OK, "Strike! Oh and One!". "You ready?"

He was ready.......

4 hours ago, humanbackstop19 said:

Thanks for the citation Tborze.  Good work.  Rule 6-2-4 d.1 states, "if the pitcher legally delivers the ball, it shall be called a strike and the ball remains live.  Thus, 2 strikes are called on the batter in sit. (b)."  Sit. (b) refers to the batter stepping out with both feet.  Why it has to be both feet and not just the one is fuzzy to me.  But hey, we're learning and now I know.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, humanbackstop19 said:

Thanks for the citation Tborze.  Good work.  Rule 6-2-4 d.1 states, "if the pitcher legally delivers the ball, it shall be called a strike and the ball remains live.  Thus, 2 strikes are called on the batter in sit. (b)."  Sit. (b) refers to the batter stepping out with both feet.  Why it has to be both feet and not just the one is fuzzy to me.  But hey, we're learning and now I know.  

DO NOT APPLY THIS.

The rule applies only iof B leaves the ob AND DELAYS THE GAME.

The eiditng was never changed to reflect this

15 minutes ago, noumpere said:

DO NOT APPLY THIS.

I know in NCAA the ball remains live and we are to signal for the pitcher not to pitch, but award them the strike penalty.  But, it seems pretty cut and dry it

is fair game for the pitcher to deliver if both feet are out of the box in FED.  Why would I NOT apply a rule as written instead of the way some want it edited?  

6 hours ago, humanbackstop19 said:

I know in NCAA the ball remains live and we are to signal for the pitcher not to pitch, but award them the strike penalty.  But, it seems pretty cut and dry it

is fair game for the pitcher to deliver if both feet are out of the box in FED.  Why would I NOT apply a rule as written instead of the way some want it edited?  

Because he's already getting a strike!  Don't double bang him if he's not delaying!  As @noumpere is pointing out (I think?), 

Now, if he TAKES a strike and gives you "that look", you can teach him a lesson if he steps out and get him for two! After a warning of course. 

I prefer good game management!

Do not instruct a pitcher to pitch when there isn't a batter in the box.

Batter stepping out without getting Time, different story. We can either get the delay strike, or the pitch strike... Don't do both. Because if the pitcher throws the pitch then what is the batter delaying?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

On 5/9/2017 at 2:23 PM, noumpere said:

DO NOT APPLY THIS.

NFHS 2014 Case Book - 6.2.4 Situation I:  With R1 on third base, F1 starts his pitching motion and B2 requests "Time", but the umpire does not grant it.  B2 steps out fo the batter's box with both feet and (a) delivers a pitch.  (Skipping to the ruling)  Ruling (a) The umpire shall call two strikes on B2, one on the pitch and one for B2 stepping out of the box.  

Seems pretty well edited here.

NFHS 2014 Case Book - 6.2.4 Situation I:  With R1 on third base, F1 starts his pitching motion and B2 requests "Time", but the umpire does not grant it.  B2 steps out fo the batter's box with both feet and (a) delivers a pitch.  (Skipping to the ruling)  Ruling (a) The umpire shall call two strikes on B2, one on the pitch and one for B2 stepping out of the box.  
Seems pretty well edited here.

And not supported by any rule.

The delay strike is for ... DELAYING THE GAME... If the pitcher still throws the pitch, what has the batter delayed.

Answer: nothing ... So no delay strike

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 1