Rotating Bat Handle

Sut'n Blue
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2513 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

A new one for me.

Kid comes up to bat and taps the bat on the plate causing the bat to rattle like crazy. I call time, give the bat a tap myself and it rattles something awful. "Sorry coach but the bat has to go." Coach comes up and points out that the bat has a rotating handle in that the first four or five inches of the handle rotate independently of the rest of the bat. Coach claimed the rotating part was what caused the rattle so the rattle was OK.

I've never seen one of these bats before. Here's a link:

https://www.si.com/edge/2014/08/25/eastons-mako-torq-bat-gives-hitters-spin-their-swing#

At which levels is this bat legal / illegal? If you have experience with these type of bats, do they usually rattle?

The bat was BBCOR and checked out OK in every other way but I wonder if the Fed requirement that the handle be a minimun of ten inches would make the bat illegal.

The bat is legal in Ohio, but the rattle is not. 

1-3-2 The bat shall have the following characteristics and components.

a. Each legal wood, aluminum or composite bat shall:

3. Be free of rattles...

On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 4:55 PM, Sut'n Blue said:

A new one for me.

Kid comes up to bat and taps the bat on the plate causing the bat to rattle like crazy. I call time, give the bat a tap myself and it rattles something awful. "Sorry coach but the bat has to go." Coach comes up and points out that the bat has a rotating handle in that the first four or five inches of the handle rotate independently of the rest of the bat. Coach claimed the rotating part was what caused the rattle so the rattle was OK.

I've never seen one of these bats before. Here's a link:

https://www.si.com/edge/2014/08/25/eastons-mako-torq-bat-gives-hitters-spin-their-swing#

At which levels is this bat legal / illegal? If you have experience with these type of bats, do they usually rattle?

The bat was BBCOR and checked out OK in every other way but I wonder if the Fed requirement that the handle be a minimun of ten inches would make the bat illegal.

I would say that any bat with a rattle you can hear is out. They don't make the bat to rattle, so there must be some problem with it.

I had this bat in a college game this year after the hit when it went to the ground I noticed the rattle. 

I handed an Asst coach the bat and said this is broken it's done. 

Between innings, the head coach came out to me with the bat and showed it to my partner and I and we decided to let it remain in the game, but I hated the way it sounded when it hit the ground. But is sounded solid when it hit the ball.

Had one player on my team had one - no, the rattle isn't normal.  They also don't help your hitting, and just make a fundamentally poor hitter worse.  Also really suck if you're the type of batter who hangs his bottom finger or two off the knob, because the knob doesn't rotate.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm familiar with this bat.  It's the Easton Mako Torque.  It was a selling bust.  But the application and idea was brilliant to keep hitters from rolling over.  Anyways, totally legal bat unaltered, but no natural rattle to it.  If it rattled, get it out of play.  Nice work.