My Obstacle Course Racing season begins.

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2544 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Some of you may recall last year I ran the Tough Mudder. I have coworkers who run it regularly and every year I'd say, "Yeah, I want to do that one day." Well about this time last year they were registering and as I started my 'maybe next year' routine they stood over me at my desk and essentially shamed me into registering right then and there. And now I'm so glad they did I loved it and now they've created a monster.

For 2017 I've already registered for 4 Obstacle Course Races including returning to the Tough Mudder and A Spartan Sprint.

For those who aren't aware the Spartan series of OCR is the real deal. While most others are for the experience and just a good ol time. The Spartan series is both timed and carries a penalty for failing an obstacle. So what's the penalty??? 30 Burpees - If you don't know what a burpee is Google it and try just doing 10. It will kick your A$$.

Now get this. One of the guys I work with is a Spartan Elite racer and after we both completed our first Tough Mudder he convinced me, "If you can do the Tough Mudder, you can do Spartan." So I registered for the Spartan Sprint (Their 3-5 mile event with 20-23 obstacles) he said he'd run it with me, but the next year (2018) I have to do a Trifecta with him too - and stupid me agreed.

The Spartan Trifecta is doing 3 of their race series in 1 year :

• The Sprint - 3-5 miles 20-23 obstacles
  • The Super - 8-10 miles 24-29 obstacles
  • The Beast - 12-14 miles 30-35 obstacles

Well I asked him if he'd registered yet as I got an email saying the Sprint I registered for is now 95% full. That's when he announced to everybody his wife is expecting and due within a week of that race. So, I let him off the hook, but I'm still on the hook for the Trifecta. So I'll be running the Sprint solo this year.

So Saturday May 5th is my first race of the year and it will be special. It's not a terribly difficult course- it's actually the easiest I will do this year, but my son will be running it with me so I'm really excited about that. I look forward to that and besides it's local and supports my county's FOP so its for a good cause. 

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, NorthTexasUmp said:

Great!! Try a Savage Race and let me know what you think of the obstacle they call The Shriveled Richard!!

That's simple compared to the Arctic Enema. The Ice is much thicker 

Here's my friends come out of it. Pretty intense. I'm right behind them but I guess I wasn't pretty enough to waste a picture on.

14940212_10154651317162790_7300620368626

YOU SIR, ARE A BADASS !

I was checking out the local Tough Mudder competitions, thinking I should see what it's all about.   Holy moly..... the only one they have near to me is at Copper Mountain (near Vail), which has a base altitude of 9,700 feet.  They claim it has lots of vertical climb to their course.  The summit of Copper is just over 12,000 feet.   Their website says "You'll be sucking wind."   LOL   Rock on, Warren!