Fair or foul

Guest DavidJ
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2555 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Guest DavidJ

At a high school game the ump called a foul ball on a batted ball that hit the plate and bounced 1-2 feet towards the pitcher never entering foul territory. The catcher retrieved the ball, but the catchers feet were still in foul territory. Ump called it a foul ball because the catcher was in foul territory  

I disagree with the call. Please clarify. 

7 answers to this question

29 minutes ago, maven said:

If everything happened exactly as you say, that call is incorrect, as the position of F2's feet are immaterial. Not sure if that counts as clarification.

Counts as a CORRECT clarification to this OP. :rolleyes:

It wasn't the correct call, as you describe it. However, once it's declared by the umpire to be foul (correct or not), that call can't be corrected, and it's a foul, even if the umpire realizes he was wrong after the fact.

4 hours ago, Guest DavidJ said:

At a high school game the ump called a foul ball on a batted ball that hit the plate and bounced 1-2 feet towards the pitcher never entering foul territory. The catcher retrieved the ball, but the catchers feet were still in foul territory. Ump called it a foul ball because the catcher was in foul territory  

I disagree with the call. Please clarify. 

If your description is accurate I disagree that you had umpires at the game. You had guys, probably ex players or coaches, wearing umpire gear. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Jimurray said:

If your description is accurate I disagree that you had umpires at the game. You had guys, probably ex players or coaches, wearing umpire gear. 

Hobby umps.

This may have been as simple as the ball bounced off the catcher or catcher's gear after hitting the plate and then rolling forward ... and then GuestDavidJ heard the words, "Catcher was in foul territory" without hearing the full explanation.  Not saying that happened ... saying it COULD have happened, and that kind of miscommunication happens all the time.

What pi$$es me off to no end is when I give a crystal clear explanation to a coach and then I hear him misquoting me to his cronies in the dugout later.  We're supposed to "turn a deaf ear" to that crap, but it's not easy.