Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
ump-n-ref

"Old High School" slide rule

Question

Many recreation and adult leagues like to reference the "Old High School" slide rule.

The version I have reads:

A slide is illegal if:

a.      The runner uses a rolling, cross-body or pop-up slide into the fielder, or

b.     The runners’ raised leg is higher than the fielder’s knee when the fielder is in a standing position, or

c.      The runner goes beyond the base and makes contact with or alters the play of the fielder, or

d.     The runner slashes or kicks the fielder with either leg, or

e.     The runner tries to injure the fielder, or

f.       The runner, on a force play, does not slide on the ground and in a direct line between the two bases

EXCEPTION:  A runner may slide or run into a direction away from the fielder to avoid making contact or altering the play of the fielder.

Does anyone have the exact wording from a pre-1995 or 6 High School rule book?

Many coaches think it means you can "take out" the fielder if you can reach the base. It don't

Thanks!!!

3 answers to this question

I don't know why you would spend energy looking for a mythical rule that doesn't apply. If an adult league wants to go back to the old days of taking out middle infielders, then they need to provide you with the documentation. Otherwise current OBR do not allow it. If these weeknight warriors want to spike and fight, end the game and insist on getting paid. And anyone insisting that this is the way that a youth baseball game should be played has no business being in authority.

• Like 1

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

I agree - if they are playing by different rules, they need to give the umpires the WRITTEN rule to use.

I think it was in the early 80's when the slide rules changed for safer practices. When I was playing it was just be able to reach the bag with hand or foot - could not raise the spikes and had to be on the ground.

Guest ump-n-ref

Rick & Maine... You are correct and we've been trying for years to get a couple of leagues to remove that phrase. Good news is that a few days ago, and after some good work of our board, we received word that the last holdout league would remove the phrase from their league-specific rules. Now it's either current HS or OBR. Both have appropriate safety features for relevant leagues.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.