Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
MidAmUmp

Between Innings

On 4/8/2017 at 7:09 PM, catsbackr said:

On a completely different subject, I think the one thing that slows games down the most is coaches calling pitches.  Some times it takes forever, and the catchers even apologize for it taking so long.

^^^ this. Batter is standing there ready for a pitch and F2 is still looking at the dugout for the signal. B feel like they are freezing him and asks for TIME...further delaying the game.

I brought out a watch for my last BU varsity game. The inning changes took roughly 60-75 seconds. Ball down, thrown around the horn while the batter gets ready at the plate another 15 seconds...I don't think in between inning time is a big issue in our varsity games. But sub-var, when partners are "visiting" in between pitches is another story. 

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

One thing I've seen my last 2 varsity games is 3B coaches going through a ridiculous amount of signs to their batters...On every pitch..with no one on....with 2 strikes.....and then longer rounds of signs with baserunners. Batters are properly standing one foot in the box taking the signs, but 'cmon...do we need  signals with a 2-2 count and no one on???????

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Richvee said:

One thing I've seen my last 2 varsity games is 3B coaches going through a ridiculous amount of signs to their batters...On every pitch..with no one on....with 2 strikes.....and then longer rounds of signs with baserunners. Batters are properly standing one foot in the box taking the signs, but 'cmon...do we need  signals with a 2-2 count and no one on???????

You ain't kidding about that.

2 hours ago, Richvee said:

Never seen this in our area.  Coaches would be laughed out of the leagues and fired.

On ‎4‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 6:08 PM, MidAmUmp said:

I'm sure Missouri isn't the only state having issues with teams taking forever between innings. Pretty much state-wide the 1 minute rule isn't enforced. One of the other state evaluators contacted me the other day to see if I was hearing about problems in our area...and I am. We have approached the state office about it and they are looking into it.

I want to know what your state and/or local associations require. Do you enforce the 1 minute rule? Do you carry a stopwatch? How do you deal with it?

I don't want a debate, I just want to know what other states are doing so I can take it back to my state.

I have a watch but I thought Missouri did not want us putting teams on the clock... or am I wrong.

In Virginia it's been a POE for a couple of years. And they want us to enforce it.

However, we are not required to carry stopwatches. We use our judgement.

I have already only given a pitcher 3 warm ups this year and was not thanked for my efforts to speed the game up. I have yet to issue any balls or strikes.

In Louisiana, as far as I know, we don't really strictly enforce the "1 minute rule" but we do encourage a quick turn around. Only occasionally have I witnessed teams getting out on the field slowly and its pretty easy to help out by just telling the catcher to throw it down.

I've never actually timed the interval myself, but I was involved in a game that was "televised" recently. I use the term televised loosely as it was part of a school course, where students man the cameras and it was broadcast over a local cable channel. Anyway, for this game we had a mandatory 2 minute break between innings for commercials. At each break, we were waiting at least 45 seconds after the pitcher was finished with his 5 warm ups, and that was after we encouraged the teams to "slow it down" getting on the field.

We have had teams huddle before taking the field defensively. No problem as long as F1 and F2 come out and start warming up right away.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

On 4/10/2017 at 8:55 PM, Richvee said:

but 'cmon...do we need  signals with a 2-2 count and no one on???????

How is the batter to know which way the coach wants him to hit the pitch ? 

• Like 2

On 4/10/2017 at 9:55 PM, Richvee said:

I know you didn't see this yesterday!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kevin_K said:

I know you didn't see this yesterday!

Indeed we did not. We saw two well coached teams and a crew on top of warm up pitches, as well as rotations, and the game in general. Dare I say, we had a pretty good game, and looked pretty damn good out there. :cheers:

• Like 3

Two weeks ago in a varsity FED game, the visiting team huddled around the HC and AC before taking the field and I let it go for about 10 seconds until I realized the pitcher and catcher were not warming up, so I went over and told the coaches to break it up and take the field. The coaches both gave me a puzzled look and the AC asked me, "didn't they get rid of speed-up rules this year?". I couldn't believe what I just heard, so I replied with "no, please have your players take the field". He gave me another puzzled look and before he said anything else I said, "I'll charge your team with a defensive conference if your guys don't take the field". He said nothing else to me and then told his players to get out there. No problems the rest of the game. Did I handle this correctly?

1 minute ago, umpire20 said:

Two weeks ago in a varsity FED game, the visiting team huddled around the HC and AC before taking the field and I let it go for about 10 seconds until I realized the pitcher and catcher were not warming up, so I went over and told the coaches to break it up and take the field. The coaches both gave me a puzzled look and the AC asked me, "didn't they get rid of speed-up rules this year?". I couldn't believe what I just heard, so I replied with "no, please have your players take the field". He gave me another puzzled look and before he said anything else I said, "I'll charge your team with a defensive conference if your guys don't take the field". He said nothing else to me and then told his players to get out there. No problems the rest of the game. Did I handle this correctly?

Personally, I would have just said "Coach, let's get a pitcher and catcher going", rather than imply all players had to be there. I wouldn't have threatened a defensive conference, but would have said (upon further questioning, as you got), that the clock's running and you're wasting time for warm-up pitches.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, kylehutson said:

Personally, I would have just said "Coach, let's get a pitcher and catcher going", rather than imply all players had to be there. I wouldn't have threatened a defensive conference, but would have said (upon further questioning, as you got), that the clock's running and you're wasting time for warm-up pitches.

Agreed.

and, I'd find time to address his "no speed up rules" issue -- assuming your state got rid of either CRs or the restriction on throwing the ball around after an out, then tell him that only that was removed, but the time between innings was still 1 minute.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, noumpere said:

Agreed.

and, I'd find time to address his "no speed up rules" issue -- assuming your state got rid of either CRs or the restriction on throwing the ball around after an out, then tell him that only that was removed, but the time between innings was still 1 minute.

Just to clarify, I'm in PA and there hasn't been a restriction on throwing the ball around or the removal of courtesy runners.

VolUmp and catsbackr, I'm also from TN.

I will often carry a stop watch when im in the field, but its more of a habit from college ball where its required, and I basically do the same thing catsbackr does.

When behind the plate I find it pretty easy to keep the game moving. As soon as the third out is made Im already yelling, "pitcher and catcher, Hustle up." It seems to remind everyone not to lollygag. I also don't allow the teams to huddle up each time they throw it around, I try to keep the batter in the box, etc. Another thing that i started doing this years in when there's a sub or something i need to write down I just do it on my note pad, and then will go back and make the change on the lineup in between innings. I was always bad about fumbling around when trying to unfold the lineup card. 

The way I often think of it is if I give them an extra minute in between each half inning that will cause the game to go on almost 15 extra min. that is 15 min in taking away from my wife and kids, which is more important to me then baseball will ever be. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Jwwhite47 said:

VolUmp and catsbackr, I'm also from TN.

I will often carry a stop watch when im in the field, but its more of a habit from college ball where its required, and I basically do the same thing catsbackr does.

When behind the plate I find it pretty easy to keep the game moving. As soon as the third out is made Im already yelling, "pitcher and catcher, Hustle up." It seems to remind everyone not to lollygag. I also don't allow the teams to huddle up each time they throw it around, I try to keep the batter in the box, etc. Another thing that i started doing this years in when there's a sub or something i need to write down I just do it on my note pad, and then will go back and make the change on the lineup in between innings. I was always bad about fumbling around when trying to unfold the lineup card. 

The way I often think of it is if I give them an extra minute in between each half inning that will cause the game to go on almost 15 extra min. that is 15 min in taking away from my wife and kids, which is more important to me then baseball will ever be. 

I too struggle with the line up cards. Feels like some of them are 3 feel long.

• Like 1

This is my first year working high school. I have always been on teams to hurry up between innings in little league, Babe Ruth, and other games. In the 15 or so high school games I have worked, I have never had to say anything to a catcher at all. They have all been on top of it and even been waiting for me when both teams have made changes. Even had a team DH for the catcher today, he was always the first on the field.

On 4/28/2017 at 7:39 AM, JSam21 said:

No kidding. I use Ray Brownlie's lineup wallet, but have to fold many of the coach's lineups like 20x to not stick out so much!

• Like 3

Just now, udbrky said:

No kidding. I use Ray Brownlie's lineup wallet, but have to fold many of the coach's lineups like 20x to not stick out so much!

Same here...

On 4/6/2017 at 9:03 PM, VolUmp said:

The local womens' Softball officials at the HS and College levels use a stopwatch. I think this appears very arrogant and actually makes the ump look like he's reprimanding children. We'll never do that here in baseball.

I am confused why it would be arrogant to enforce rules. Stopwatches/clocks are used at all levels above HS. Why should HS not be subject to timing rules that are in the rule book?

On 4/6/2017 at 6:08 PM, MidAmUmp said:

I'm sure Missouri isn't the only state having issues with teams taking forever between innings. Pretty much state-wide the 1 minute rule isn't enforced. One of the other state evaluators contacted me the other day to see if I was hearing about problems in our area...and I am. We have approached the state office about it and they are looking into it.

I want to know what your state and/or local associations require. Do you enforce the 1 minute rule? Do you carry a stopwatch? How do you deal with it?

I don't want a debate, I just want to know what other states are doing so I can take it back to my state.

The issue I find if the NFHS rule is poor. We aren't timing anything until the warmup is thrown. The bigger time lag is the hustle in/hustle out. The one minute to throw five pitches seems less of an issue on MO.

On 4/28/2017 at 7:39 AM, JSam21 said:

Buy the new magnetic card holder Ump Attire has. Perfect size. If you fold lineup card right, no matter which they use, really simple to get access to the card for lineup changes on the fly.  Made my life great this season.

7 minutes ago, Minnz said:

The issue I find if the NFHS rule is poor. We aren't timing anything until the warmup is thrown. The bigger time lag is the hustle in/hustle out. The one minute to throw five pitches seems less of an issue on MO.

That's only half true, and for most games most innings should start faster.

"6-2-2 EXCEPTION: The starting pitchers may warm up by using not more than eight throws, completed in one minute (timed from the first throw). When a pitcher is replaced during an inning or prior to an inning, the relief pitcher may not use more than eight throws completed in one minute (timed from the first throw). At the beginning of each subsequent inning, the pitcher may warm up by using not more than five throws, completed in one minute (timed from the third out of the previous half-inning) (3-1-2). In either case, the umpire-in-chief may authorize more throws because of an injury, ejection or inclement weather."

31 minutes ago, maven said:

That's only half true, and for most games most innings should start faster.

I should have stated what I meant better. (Need to stop doing this on the phone)

One minute from the moment the third out occurs is unrealistic. The NCAA rule is a far better idea.