First NCAA Game in the books

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2547 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

1st D3 game last night taught me many things, including how the intensity multiplies exponentially. It also re-affirmed how much I need to learn. Thankful for a veteran partner who was patient. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, KenBAZ said:

I'd love to hear what you're learning.

Enhanced positioning, particularly for pick offs and DP's, as well as game management stuff, and preparing mentally for the increased intensity. 

• Like 1

Congrats - and have fun with it.

A few tips I learned when I started were -

1. listen to your partner 2. let the play unfold 3. the faster the game the slower the timing 4. always be where you are supposed to be - the coaches have a good idea where you need to be to make the call 5. Have good game management and don't have thin skin or rabbit ears.

• Like 5

On 4/5/2017 at 7:07 AM, maineump said:

Congrats - and have fun with it.

A few tips I learned when I started were -

1. listen to your partner 2. let the play unfold 3. the faster the game the slower the timing 4. always be where you are supposed to be - the coaches have a good idea where you need to be to make the call 5. Have good game management and don't have thin skin or rabbit ears.

And don't suck.

• Like 1

My First year in college ball too.  What I have noticed is Game Management is such a huge part of the game compared to lower levels. The players for the most part will dictate the game.

And totally agree with Mainump, the faster the game, the slower the timing.  

The big thing that I learned, in game management, when I started college ball was to let the coach ASK his question. These guys "know the rules" of arguing a call, so let them ask their question - stay quiet - answer their question and don't let them ramble and repeat. I have asked them if they have a question before, and they always rephrase what they have said. If it is judgment use "in my judgment" as part of your answer. They know they can't argue the judgment calls, but will try anyhow.

An example - the last game I had, the batter got hit by a curveball on the pitch. "In my judgment" the batter attempted to get out of the way. The coaches argument was that he didn't move, and he said that this was a new rule this year. I still had my mask on, and asked - "so what is your question?" He asked if he made an attempt and I said yes - end of discussion, even though he was mumbling all the way back to the dugout. Game went on, nothing else came up about it. It ended up being a great game and we did 9 in 2:06.

Keep your answers rule based, and don't let them get to you - sometimes they just try to get you rattled.

Shut down the chirping, don't take anything from an assistant - just walk away. Have fun with the game and don't take things personally.

• Like 2