Overthrow goes near dugout, OBS by F5

johnnyg08
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2565 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Two umpire system:

R1, 2 out.  B5 hits a double to the gap.  R1 attempts to score from 3B when the overthrow from the cutoff man rolls near the 3B dugout and could go out of play.  F5 obstructs R1 as he rounds third base and is called out at home on a close play at the plate.

Who covers the overthrow/ball? Who covers the touch of third base and obstruction/coach assist at third base?  

By the book, PU should be returning home (R1 reaching 3B without a play) and has it all here.

BU should be able to help, as his only other job is the BR, who presumably is standing on 2B without a play.

PU alone should rule on the overthrow; any umpire who sees it may rule on the OBS.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, maven said:

By the book, PU should be returning home (R1 reaching 3B without a play) and has it all here.

BU should be able to help, as his only other job is the BR, who presumably is standing on 2B without a play.

PU alone should rule on the overthrow; any umpire who sees it may rule on the OBS.

Agreed. If you see OBS call it.

As explained, R1 is obstructed as he is rounding 3rd base.  Assuming R1 touched 3rd before the OBS., the PU should be able to see the violation, point it out, and verbalize it as he follows the overthrow. The ball would remain live, R1 would be called out on the tag at the plate , then ruled safe and scored because of the OBS.  This is Type 1 OBS which carries an award of one base beyond his last legally touched base before the OBS occurred. 

2 hours ago, humanbackstop19 said:

As explained, R1 is obstructed as he is rounding 3rd base.  Assuming R1 touched 3rd before the OBS., the PU should be able to see the violation, point it out, and verbalize it as he follows the overthrow. The ball would remain live, R1 would be called out on the tag at the plate , then ruled safe and scored because of the OBS.  This is Type 1 OBS which carries an award of one base beyond his last legally touched base before the OBS occurred. 

I might differ on the mechanics with @humanbackstop19 but agree with the end result. I wouldn't call him out and then rule him safe. This invites confusion and does not look good. Recall the World Series play at 3B a few years ago. Jim Joyce pointed out obstruction on the play. The runner was clearly out trying for home on a close play. The plate ump didn't bang him out and then call him safe. Plate called him safe (If I recall, he also had pointed and yelled "That's Obstruction" picking up on Joyce's call) and then referenced the obstruction as an explanation to why he called the runner safe (who was clearly tagged before touching the plate).

• Like 1

The ideology I'm using in calling an out at the plate is that the play continues as is with OBS being a delayed dead ball. Then,  after the tag,  the ball becomes dead and bases would be awarded. In this case the runner scores.  The OBS and the award supercedes the out at the plate. 

The way this play is described, I would not consider this type 1 OBS. I'm not putting the OP in a similar category as a pickoff play or a rundown. It is much more similar to a run-of-the-mill type 2 OBS.

I do agree that the play is dead once the play is made on the OBS runner, whenever that may be. I don't agree with calling out, then safe.

After doing my homework, I concede the proper mechanic to be calling "Time!",ruling the runner safe at the plate, and citing the OBS (cause you know the HC on the wrong end is coming out).  This would be regardless of the type of OBS we're dealing with.  But, after reading the situation again I see the play was never being made on R1 at 3rd.  So, I agree with you ALStripes17 on further citing the type 2 OBS.  I need to slow down on these things, ha.

• Like 1