old coach

Guest fred
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2562 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Runners on first and third no outs runner at 1st advances toward 2nd base after pitched ball gets to home plate stops half way catcher throws to 2nd base runner at third scores runner between 1st and second returns to 1st.. Is this a legal play.

16 answers to this question

12 minutes ago, Guest fred said:

Runners on first and third no outs runner at 1st advances toward 2nd base after pitched ball gets to home plate stops half way catcher throws to 2nd base runner at third scores runner between 1st and second returns to 1st.. Is this a legal play.

Well I have been out of the game for about ten years wasn't for sure if something had changed in that time this question is for little league majors

13 minutes ago, Guest fred said:

Let me throw the question back at you. What make you think this is an illegal play?

21 minutes ago, gnhbua93 said:

Let me throw the question back at you. What make you think this is an illegal play?

By the wording of Fred's 2nd post,

25 minutes ago, Guest fred said:

Well I have been out of the game for about ten years wasn't for sure if something had changed in that time this question is for little league majors

It sounds like he saw it called as an illegal and is asking why it was called that way..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Guest fred said:

I used this Quite often when I was coaching and my son is now helping coach a team and the manager said that once the pitcher has the ball runners have to return. I told him unless there was a rule change the ball is live runner can advance at thier own risk. I told him that once the pitcher has the ball on the rubber and the catcher is ready to receive the ball runners have to return. Other wise the ball is live and runners can advance at their own risk.

28 minutes ago, Guest fred said:

I used this Quite often when I was coaching and my son is now helping coach a team and the manager said that once the pitcher has the ball runners have to return. I told him unless there was a rule change the ball is live runner can advance at thier own risk. I told him that once the pitcher has the ball on the rubber and the catcher is ready to receive the ball runners have to return. Other wise the ball is live and runners can advance at their own risk.

You're correct. There's no "run to the pitcher's mound with the ball and runners have to stop/return" rule in little league, although somewhere along the line this myth has been perpetuated.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, scrounge said:

Of course...why wouldn't it be? Barring some weird local rule, of course.

Lay off of him, Scrounge.

This is the one forum for no flaming, sarcasm, or snarky remarks.

Perhaps he's just learning the game.  I'd be the same way on a hockey or soccer forum.

10 hours ago, Guest fred said:

And welcome to Umpire-Empire, Fred.  Come back often.  We use this particular forum primarily for beginners and coaches like you ... who have been a bit out of touch for a while and are getting re-acclimated.  Excellent observation and excellent question.

10 hours ago, Guest fred said:

I used this Quite often when I was coaching and my son is now helping coach a team and the manager said that once the pitcher has the ball runners have to return.

Some version of that statement is true in softball and some version of it might be true at some very young levels (where it might also be "a local rule").  That leads to some coaches thinking it's true at all levels.

15 hours ago, Guest fred said:

Depends if this is softball or not. 

The fast pitch rule pertains to the pitcher's circle, and the pitcher having possession of the ball in the circle.

Once the pitcher holds the ball in the circle and is not making any kind of act towards the runner the runner must make an immediate decision to which direction to run, and then may not stop or change direction after that.  Unless the pitcher makes an act against the runner (and not just a head fake).   If the runner is in flight when the pitcher gets the ball the runner may stop once, and then immediately decide what to do.

The rule is to prevent the inevitable dicking around kids get into with creating rundowns, and generally wasting time, with the runner continuing head faking and not returning to his base.   Especially when the bases are only 60 feet apart, which is the case even in men's fast pitch.

I could see this enforced in some community baseball associations too.

One local LL-affiliated league has this rule for 60' games: "There will be no delayed steals of home or any base in the 8, 9 or 10-year old age groups. Specifically, once the catcher has the ball and is returning it to the pitcher who is in contact with the pitching rubber area, all base runners must return to their respective bases."

1 hour ago, LRZ said:

One local LL-affiliated league has this rule for 60' games: "There will be no delayed steals of home or any base in the 8, 9 or 10-year old age groups. Specifically, once the catcher has the ball and is returning it to the pitcher who is in contact with the pitching rubber area, all base runners must return to their respective bases."

that's the "Minors" division and lower