Champro magnesium question

kylejt
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2545 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Have any of you had your Champro magnesium mask stripped and powdercoated? I wonder what it would look like without the big gloppy plastic coating.

With the All Star magnesium running over three bills, why is it that the Champro is so overlooked? There's nothing lighter, has a good shape, and is pretty durable. And it's around $100. Drop some TW pads, and a Wilson harness (my favorite), and I don't think there's a better combination. I guess it's only downfall is the "cool factor".

@kylejt - 

I had one of my titanium masks sent off to be powder-coated at Mask-it Sports. If memory serves me correctly, I believe Tony told me when I asked what type of masks he could do that magnesium couldn't be powder-coated because the heat involved would make it explode. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

18 minutes ago, codizzle said:

@kylejt - 

I had one of my titanium masks sent off to be powder-coated at Mask-it Sports. If memory serves me correctly, I believe Tony told me when I asked what type of masks he could do that magnesium couldn't be powder-coated because the heat involved would make it explode. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

I remember that as well ........ someone actually had a Champro Mag explode on Tony (I think - NOT bashing Tony, just trying to recall what happened)

The Champro Magnesium model isn't available anymore ..no?

39 minutes ago, Thunderheads said:

I remember that as well ........ someone actually had a Champro Mag explode on Tony (I think - NOT bashing Tony, just trying to recall what happened)

The Champro Magnesium model isn't available anymore ..no?

Not available. Magnessium is a nice metal for umpire masks but didn't sell well enough for Champro (or us) to keep around.

Champro, like others, have moved to a less expensive aluminum alloy over magnessium and titanium.

• Like 1

Yikes! I'd better grab a couple on the open market, before they're all dried up. Love that frame, as it's sooooo light, and fits me well. I can live with the plastic coating, and will remember not to put mine in the oven (or trunk, here in San Diego).

Thanks for the info, everyone.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kylejt said:

I had a Schutt Comfort Lite that was just as light. I gave that to one of my former Junior umpires for a backup, as he was starting his MiLB career. I believe those are hollow steel, yes?

I thought the Schutt used the same mask as Diamond with their logo

It does blow up. I don't think I have the picture anymore, but Tony sent me the pic of my Champro Mag that exploded in the oven.

It was a sad day. I like that mask....it was going to look sweet. On to bigger and better things.

11 minutes ago, slo8140 said:

It does blow up. I don't think I have the picture anymore, but Tony sent me the pic of my Champro Mag that exploded in the oven.

It was a sad day. I like that mask....it was going to look sweet. On to bigger and better things.

Did he refund the cost of the mask?

1 hour ago, tpatience said:

Did he refund the cost of the mask?

No, he didn't refund the cost of the mask. He agreed with the customer that he will cover the cost of a new mask and did the powder coat on the new mask. That's customer service at its best.That is why if any umpire want to refurbish a mask should give his business to Tony of Mask-It-Sports.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, gnhbua93 said:

No, he didn't refund the cost of the mask. He agreed with the customer that he will cover the cost of a new mask and did the powder coat on the new mask. That's customer service at its best.That is why if any umpire want to refurbish a mask should give his business to Tony of Mask-It-Sports.

I have sent 1 mask to tony and I'm about to send another

2 hours ago, gnhbua93 said:

Thanks for answering for me ;)

He powder coated a Honig's frame for me instead and sent it my way. I was not a fan of that frame so I sold it, but I don't fault Tony at all. He has powdercoated several other masks for me and I have been happy with all of his work. I would recommend him to anyone looking to have work done. I have a Mizuno TI that I got from Japan that is black that I might be sending in this off season.

Currently I am intrigued with the F3 version 2. I used to be a bucket guy... ALL-Star 4000, but I have not worn it one time this season. Might have to give it a whirl this weekend.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, slo8140 said:

Thanks for answering for me ;)

He powder coated a Honig's frame for me instead and sent it my way. I was not a fan of that frame so I sold it, but I don't fault Tony at all. He has powdercoated several other masks for me and I have been happy with all of his work. I would recommend him to anyone looking to have work done. I have a Mizuno TI that I got from Japan that is black that I might be sending in this off season.

Currently I am intrigued with the F3 version 2. I used to be a bucket guy... ALL-Star 4000, but I have not worn it one time this season. Might have to give it a whirl this weekend.

Don't let the Force3 V2 intrigued you that much and get it. I highly recommended it .

On 3/22/2017 at 5:41 PM, gnhbua93 said:

Don't let the Force3 V2 intrigued you that much and get it. I highly recommended it .

You really like it? Tell me a bit about why. I joined ABUA this year, so I can get it for I think $109. 

3 hours ago, slo8140 said:

You really like it? Tell me a bit about why. I joined ABUA this year, so I can get it for I think $109. 

I've been hit several times and what normally would hurt a lot, didn't hurt at all. I am sure it saved me from at least one concussion.

I had mine powder coated without issue. The issue I had with the magnesium mask was the coating would wear off. The only thing I could think that would cause it was chemicals in my sun block. By the end of the summer I would have several spots where the black coating wore off, so I had it powder coated a gun metal gray and it did the same thing. I don't wear it anymore and it's sitting in my closet, but it was a great mask and amazingly lightweight.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Kyle 

- yes - I had my champro magnesium mask stripped and custom powder coated - in your back yard (San Marcos) - no problems what so ever! I think the key is talking to who ever is doing the work ahead of time.

agreed - I think the champro mag is the best rig available - light, durable, and loaded with team Wendy's pads, the best setup in my opinion.

feel free to contact me - I was at RBV a few weeks ago, and I have a few more games near you in the next few weeks - would be happy to discuss any questions you might have.

HM