Home run definition

ALStripes17
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2571 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I know this has been discussed before but couldn't find it with my search feature.

A fair ball that clears the fence in flight is a 4 base award (HR).

So, a line drive could hit an F3 (fair ball), ricochet out of play over the dugout, and be considered a 4-base award?

Am I understanding this where situations where outfielder touches batted ball in fair, ball clears fence in foul territory = HR... Outfielder touches ball in foul territory and ball clears fence in fair territory = foul ball?

Edit to add: seems 2-16-1d and 2-5-1g could contradict each other.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

In flight deflected OOP in fair territory:  4 base award
In flight, deflected OOP in foul territory:  2 base award

It's the same in all codes, and reasonably clear in the book.

I'm aware of what other codes rule it, but by FED definitions, it's not 'reasonably clear'.

8-3-3a gives nothing in regards to whether the batted ball clears the fair or foul part of the fence. It simply states 'if a fair ball goes over a fence in-flight.' if a fielder touches a ball in fair territory, the batted ball is fair by definition in 2-5-1f. So, reasonably clear up how 8-3-3a (and 8-3-3c for all intents and purposes) gives us the distinction between 4-base award and 2-base award here.

1 hour ago, ALStripes17 said:

I know this has been discussed before but couldn't find it with my search feature.

A fair ball that clears the fence in flight is a 4 base award (HR).

So, a line drive could hit an F3 (fair ball), ricochet out of play over the dugout, and be considered a 4-base award?

Am I understanding this where situations where outfielder touches batted ball in fair, ball clears fence in foul territory = HR... Outfielder touches ball in foul territory and ball clears fence in fair territory = foul ball?

Edit to add: seems 2-16-1d and 2-5-1g could contradict each other.

I think you're putting assumptions in there that just aren't so. It's impossible to read the award in 8-3-3a that talks about clearing the fence or a foul pole above the fence without thinking that "fence" means barrier between left foul line and right foul line. If it truly meant any fence-like structure within the vicinity of the field, that would be a rather absurd result, no? Plus it would be contradicted by the entirety of all the rules and cases on 2 base awards, etc. So it's impossible by definition to clear the fence - as the word "fence" pertains to the rules - in foul territory. If any fence anywhere counts, why even bother adding the additional clarification of hitting the foul pole?

I think you're putting assumptions in there that just aren't so. It's impossible to read the award in 8-3-3a that talks about clearing the fence or a foul pole above the fence without thinking that "fence" means barrier between left foul line and right foul line. If it truly meant any fence-like structure within the vicinity of the field, that would be a rather absurd result, no? Plus it would be contradicted by the entirety of all the rules and cases on 2 base awards, etc. So it's impossible by definition to clear the fence - as the word "fence" pertains to the rules - in foul territory. If any fence anywhere counts, why even bother adding the additional clarification of hitting the foul pole?

I think you assume the fence definition more so than I am assuming the black and white lettering; however, I agree with your thoughts on the clarification of the foul pole. Only thing I could come back with on that is that if the foul pole was an extension of the fence, yet they considered it out of play. But that would seem more far-fetched than anything else :)