Dead Ball - Player entitled to advance is injured

beerguy55
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2575 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

My understanding is OBR allows a substitution, in a dead ball situation, of an injured player who was otherwise entitled to advanced a base (or more).

To my knowledge this has happened only twice in the past 40 years in MLB.  (Bobby Bonds, Gabe Kapler)

I assume the substitution is made with the new player continuing from exactly where the first player was hurt.  And it's a full substitution - the new guy's in the game (even gets credited with the run if he is completing a home run trot).

Is this handled any differently in HS or LL?  Are temporary/courtesy runners allowed for these types of scenarios?

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

7 answers to this question

2 minutes ago, beerguy55 said:

My understanding is OBR allows a substitution, in a dead ball situation, of an injured player who was otherwise entitled to advanced a base (or more).

To my knowledge this has happened only twice in the past 40 years in MLB.  (Bobby Bonds, Gabe Kapler)

I assume the substitution is made with the new player continuing from exactly where the first player was hurt.  And it's a full substitution - the new guy's in the game (even gets credited with the run if he is completing a home run trot).

Is this handled any differently in HS or LL?  Are temporary/courtesy runners allowed for these types of scenarios?

LL is the same as OBR. 

5.12(b )(3) in OBR.

5.10(c )(1) in LL

6-5-d in NCAA

1 hour ago, beerguy55 said:

Is this handled any differently in HS or LL?

No, no different for FED.

1 hour ago, beerguy55 said:

Are temporary/courtesy runners allowed for these types of scenarios?

No, as they are their own "thing," the CR rules are not extended to other situations.

1 hour ago, FleasOf1000Camels said:

OK, here's the wrinkle.

What if the team has NO legal sub?

Forfeit - which would really suck if it was a walk-off home run.

Though I do wonder, when would the forfeit occur?  Let's say there was one out in bottom of the ninth in a tie game, batter gets hurt, can't round bases...they drag him off the field, making him out by abandonment.  Two out.  When is it determined that the team only has eight players in the lineup...as soon as they stick him in the ambulance?  Or is it not until he bats again, or the defense takes the field, whatever comes first?

2 hours ago, beerguy55 said:

Forfeit - which would really suck if it was a walk-off home run.

Though I do wonder, when would the forfeit occur?  Let's say there was one out in bottom of the ninth in a tie game, batter gets hurt, can't round bases...they drag him off the field, making him out by abandonment.  Two out.  When is it determined that the team only has eight players in the lineup...as soon as they stick him in the ambulance?  Or is it not until he bats again, or the defense takes the field, whatever comes first?

NCAA: need 9 in the batting order.

OBR:  Need 9 in the field.  So, in the play above, it's not a forfeit, yet.