Carlucci Chest Protector

UMPCourse
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 734 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

It was a marine grade vinyl in Cece Carlucci's trademark Blue color. The CP's were individually measured to fit and all hand made. The style shown above was typical of CP's in the later years of Cece's career. Carlucci passed in 2008.

CP technology has far surpassed the styles and protective qualities of these type of protectors. But for cool factor?.......I think the only vintage CP that I can imagine giving up my Platinum for would be a Riddell Power re-fitted with Team Wendy padding.....

• Like 2

Back in 1999, I was visiting Australia and (unknown to me) illegally working baseball games to earns spending money.

I was in the market for a new CP when I got back to the states in a month or two. Icalled Cece on a phone card just to get pricing and and such. It was supposed to be a 10 minute phone call. Cece wouldn't stop asking questions and telling me stories for over a hour and a half.

Let's just say THAT phone call was worth every penny!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What would be cool would be someone taking measurements, like Cece did, and creating hard shell chest protectors that come curved to ones particular curves. Plus, if they could somehow attain the Team Wendy gel padding, or something similar, that would be cool. Of course, $800+ custom chest protectors probably wouldn't sell very well, so that's why we don't have them.

Cece's gear is primitive, compared to today's technology (which is still pretty crude), but has a handmade quality you can really feel.

• Like 2

I have been fortunate to actually see 2 versions of Cece's work. The things that struck me were the obvious hand craftsmanship and attention to detail. The other thing was how small they were. Obviously when made from the original users measurements, the protector covered them well. 

@kylejt  hits it on the head.  For the time frame he was making them they were outstanding. The most obvious reason was the custom fit. At the time I was considering getting Cece to make me one ( Trust me, it was a brief consideration, unfortunately I could not afford it) I was wearing a old style rolled pad CP. A custom made Carlucci would have been quite the step up for me in protective gear.

A Carlucci compared to todays offerings would come up short.  We are so fortunate to have the advanced styles and materials that we have in the newer models. I'm sure they far exceed Cece's efforts. But like anything custom made.....be it shoes or suits, it still speaks of quality and durability.       

• Like 1

• 5 years later...
On 3/13/2017 at 7:08 AM, Stan W. said:

A Carlucci compared to todays offerings would come up short.  We are so fortunate to have the advanced styles and materials that we have in the newer models. I'm sure they far exceed Cece's efforts. But like anything custom made.....be it shoes or suits, it still speaks of quality and durability.

No it wouldn't. Besides, we may be fortunate to have the advanced materials, but I'll be damned if they (the big corporate producers) can be bothered to actually use them! 

Lookin' right at you, Douglas.

On 3/9/2017 at 7:15 AM, Stan W. said:

I think the only vintage CP that I can imagine giving up my Platinum for...

Your Platinum is a piece of lame, pathetic 💩.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MadMax said:

No it wouldn't. Besides, we may be fortunate to have the advanced materials, but I'll be damned if they (the big corporate producers) can be bothered to actually use them! 

Lookin' right at you, Douglas.

Your Platinum is a piece of lame, pathetic 💩.

I have no problem with saying that I replaced my 1999 Carlucci with a 2007 Platinum (which was later replaced by a Douglas, then a Cobalt...) Each was more protective than the one it replaced.

Max is correct...it can be done and will be done offering better protection by using modern materials. It does not have to be TW grade

I have a production pad almost signed off on which will keep you Gold lovers very happy. Low profile pad, just velcro your Gold carapace  on the front and you will have low profile and protection.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Razzer said:

Max is correct...it can be done and will be done offering better protection by using modern materials. It does not have to be TW grade

I have a production pad almost signed off on which will keep you Gold lovers very happy. Low profile pad, just velcro your Gold carapace  on the front and you will have low profile and protection.

Ray, I just got a vsport. Think the padding would fit on that?

14 hours ago, Razzer said:

I've been waiting on this! :home: I was hoping it wasn't another casualty of Covid.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Razzer said:

Terrific!!

Is there a version for the Platinum being considered?

On 4/13/2022 at 9:46 AM, Thunderheads said:

I should let Ray answer, but ....if I remember correctly, this pad should accommodate most all of the common chest protectors out there ...

Right now I will be concentrating on the Gold after market pad. because there or 1000's of them and they need an upgraded pad.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1