Jackets on the Plate

JSam21
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2330 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

10 hours ago, JimKirk said:

Yes, he's wearing the poly spandex. They do look sharp for sure. Really glad you like yours and thanks for saying so.

scott-kennedy-uk-ucsb.jpg

here's something that is very noticeable to me and fellow umpires, when I'm wearing them on the plate they do not get caught up anywhere on my shin guards.  I had not noticed but a partner said that was really impressive.   Of course my whole game today I'm checking it out. ha

• Like 2

8 hours ago, NWA_UMP said:

Only complaint I have heard was from a Davis Guy...pants that is. He felt they were too dark...almost black. Most guys in my association wear the Davis pants...I don't like the of the fabric or how narrow the base pants fit. Plus they seem to fade really fast. I didn't really notice a difference between the two pants(Davis/Smitty) as we had guys wearing both. 

They are nowhere near too dark. Unless you're wearing them with a good partner who has on a pair of brown purplish pants, and a powder blue shirt complete with purplish pink buttons.  The color is fine.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JimKirk said:

You have good eyes. Low cuts, yes.

After 3 seasons of high tops it's taken a few games to get used to the low tops, but I'm fine with them now.  They clean off very easily with soapy water and maintain their high gloss shine.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dumbdumb said:

The Big South, where the 2016 reigning CWS Champions hang their hats this year, after defeating teams from those 3 sissy Conferences you must be referring to from last year.

Maybe the "power" button that must have short circuited last year, will return for the sissy's this year.

lol

11 hours ago, umpstu said:

They are nowhere near too dark. Unless you're wearing them with a good partner who has on a pair of brown purplish pants, and a powder blue shirt complete with purplish pink buttons.  The color is fine.

Like I said...the only complaint I have HEARD was from A DAVIS guy that they were too dark. My son umpires and we purchased a pair for him this year for the plate. I was curious about the fabric and the fit...color wasn't a big issue unless your association mandates a certain brand of pants, every brand looks different. I was very impressed with the fabric and the fit for my son was spot on. I was so impressed I will probably pull the trigger on a game set of base/plates rather than the PWD I was going to order...unless Smitty busts out the new PW version in a better fit model similar to the poly/spandex mix they are currently sending out. That MIGHT change my mind....

I guess I don't understand it, but why don't folks like the jacket on the plate?  I think it looks pretty good.  Plus, most of the time with our body armor on, we don't look great anyways back there.  We look like the Hulk or a linebacker at best.  The jacket only helps to hide the huge shoulders.

I understand if its a huge parka, but like Scott has on looks very professional and clean-cut. My thoughts at least.

• Like 1

Wolfe_man

Here is my take...I don't like the restriction that comes with a jacket. I wear a long sleeve shirt behind the plate if its cold. We had temps that dropped into the low 40's last night before we completed our high school game. I had a short sleeve shirt on under by CK long sleeve shirt and I was comfortable work the dish. Now my arms were cool/cold at times but my core was warm and I was sweating. I have worn Cold Gear under the LS shirt before if it's windy and raw to help hold the heat. I just find the typical umpire jacket causes me to do 2 things: 1 sweat, 2 freeze. I have never used the new Thermabase type jackets as I use the coolbase jacket with layers under and have found I'm usually good in most any condition. I would struggle to see myself using a thermabase on the plate...i might die of dehydration before the game is over!    

• Like 1

NWA_UMP I get it - and I'm hotblooded too so I'm probably better off with a LS as well, and layer underneath.  I like the SS jacket look though.  As you mentioned, core would be warm, but arms exposed and open neck to help vent core.

Been freezing my butt off the past several weeks.  Tonight has plate with a start time of 5:30 and first pitch temp of 41.  Decent pace of game; went 1:50.  Wore UA Cold Gear LS, topped by full turtleneck and then a sweatshirt.  CP went over that, and Smitty version of Thermabase topping it off.   Was glad to have it when temps were 37 at end with a 10 mph breeze.  I know a lot of you guys up north will be laughing at me, but I was glad to have all that on. 

I don't like wearing the Thermabase on the plate, (it's really bulky, and sometimes my TG catches somewhere)  but I absolutely hate being cold!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, refump10 said:

Been freezing my butt off the past several weeks.  Tonight has plate with a start time of 5:30 and first pitch temp of 41.  Decent pace of game; went 1:50.  Wore UA Cold Gear LS, topped by full turtleneck and then a sweatshirt.  CP went over that, and Smitty version of Thermabase topping it off.   Was glad to have it when temps were 37 at end with a 10 mph breeze.  I know a lot of you guys up north will be laughing at me, but I was glad to have all that on. 

I don't like wearing the Thermabase on the plate, (it's really bulky, and sometimes my TG catches somewhere)  but I absolutely hate being cold!

j.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, maineump said:

Plate coat is the way to go on the plate. If it is too warm for it, then go with the long sleeve shirt. Dress in layers as needed under it all.

As long as you match colors and get calls right, does it really matter if the plate umpire wears a jacket, long sleeve shirt, short sleeve shirt, or plate coat? College baseball, MiLB, and MLB don't have an restrictions against jackets on the plate, so why would it be taboo at other levels?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, zm1283 said:

As long as you match colors and get calls right, does it really matter if the plate umpire wears a jacket, long sleeve shirt, short sleeve shirt, or plate coat? College baseball, MiLB, and MLB don't have an restrictions against jackets on the plate, so why would it be taboo at other levels?

I agree - I am talking for comfort for me.

18 hours ago, BALL4 said:

You can wear plate coats in Ohio

It would have to be a navy Plate coat, then, because Ohio is still a holdout state, gripping fiercely (but without any particular reason) to the Traditional Navy shirt as the enforced uniform.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, maineump said:

I agree - I am talking for comfort for me.

19 hours ago, zm1283 said:

Geezers having control over their children. Some guys want you to wear navy, 'til they die. Why? Because they fear change, and perhaps can't afford another shirt themselves.

First, I live in San Diego, so jackets on the plate are pretty rare.

As to why some folks think it's wrong, or taboo, it's because their heroes on TV don't do it. The same goes for wearing a long sleeved jersey on the bases, which I do all the time. Some fellows, for the same reason, wet themselves over this.

"It's just not done!".

Shut up.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, kylejt said:

1. Because the guy answering the question is too cheap to buy another shirt.

2. He's afraid to lose membership, by allowing an optional uniform.

3. He's a geezer.

4. All of the above.

There's something more to it in Ohio, @kylejt, because they changed the Ohio athletics logo twice in three years, necessitating three compulsory purchases of the navy shirt... with the obligatory "current" logo embroidered on it.

This reeks of racketeering and despotism. There is little doubt an arrangement has been struck between those in charge and the shirt suppliers. I'd be curious to know what brand of shirt Ohio employs (my guess would be Cliff Keen), but if it isn't a known brand, and instead an imported "brand" from East Asia, then this _really_ reeks of kickbacks and profiteering.

The umpires' best interests are not being served.

At what point do the officials put their foot down? They do know they're in short supply, right?

How 'bout supplying patches, and let umpires decide what to wear? Or at least give them a list of approved colors, designs.

Yeah, someone is getting their pockets lined, no doubt.

Here's my theory, as I've seen this born out in other groups I'm involved with: HS officials seem to be an older group. Mostly retired folks. Hence, they're not as likely to be hooked up to social media, and don't communicate with others outside their immediate area. If this were a group of twenty somethings, they'd be banded together pretty quickly, and making some changes.