All Star Pro Model System 7 Hockey Style Umpire Helmet

isopiso
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2610 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Some umpires do choose to wear a throat guard with this helmet. Any will do. A 4" inch of one with the Wilson logo or an all-black one would probably look the best if you decided to go there.

Some umpires don't...just like some do or don't on traditional masks. Nothing different physics-wise of why you wouldn't get hit with a bouncing ball any less with a helmet than you would with the a traditional mask. Still a gap there on both when considering balls in the dirt. And the throat guard will cut down on the angle but not 100% so.

Hope that helps.

• Like 2

Ive had this mask for a couple of years, and seem to use it a little more each year (as opposed to regular mask and hat).  Might not be totally necessary, but I like to use a throat protector.  I've tried a couple, not thrilled with how they hang off of this.  AllStar,TG3 is passable, but still maybe not perfect.   Didn't care for the gold logo so painted over it.  Interested to hear if others chime in.

http://all-starsports.com/tg3.html

• Like 1

AllStar may still offer the system seven magnesium throat guard. It follows the design of the cage rather than the plastic deal.

I have one modified to 4" from its original 6" and powder coated black. I think there's a pic in my gallery. 

It's for sale.

• Like 1

Scratch my rec for a Wilson logo throat guard on this helmet.

Had the announcement from Wilson that the Shock FX (steel and tiatinum) from Wilson would no longer be made on my brain.

Good rec from the gentleman above...or an all-black. We no longer carry the metal All-Star but can be found elsewhere with a Google search.

• Like 1

Your stance plays a big part on whether you need a throat protector, or where to position it. Try this:

Drop into your stance, and have someone take a picture of you from the side. Check for the gap, and figure out how to best close or minimize it.

For example, with this umpire's stance, as he's leaning over so far, that dangler off the lower bar isn't helping much. Now, if he was more upright, and placed the protector up on the inside rung, he'd be much more protected.

But, take note of the catcher. His head is more upright to his torso, so his throat protector closes the game, and is quite effective.

umpire-equipment-buyers-guide-cover.jpg

• Like 1

Here's a big picture question:

As Little League has required tangling throat protectors on the catchers for quite some time, and nearly every LL catcher has a HSM, why hasn't one manufacturer offered a solution for their HSM? Kids are left to zip tie their contraptions to the lower a cage. I believe that Cooper once had slots in the chin of their helmets, specifically designed for that, but I haven't seen anything since.

LL is a pretty damn big marked, yet every year on ESPN we see shoe laces as the fix for this. You'd think Easton could do better, seeing they're given all that TV time.

140823190338-11-little-league-world-series-horizontal-large-gallery.jpg

• Like 1

Guys, about three years ago I had a HS catcher suffer a crushed lyranx on a spiked pitch that bounced up and caught him just right. I thought the kid was going to die at the plate. He had a HSM with no throat guard. I wear HSM for all of my games. The next day I started wearing 4" throat guards on all my helmets including an All Star. I don't even think about it anymore except when I note I've taken a shot on the throat guard.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

• Like 3

On 2/22/2017 at 9:35 AM, isopiso said:

I use the all star helmet and lately taking shots in neck and throat area.  Does anyone else use this helmet and if so what type and name brand of throat guard do you use if any.

Side of the neck or under the mask below the chin?  I ask because it might be possible that the angle of your stance or feet positioning is the reason.  Watched an umpire Saturday and couldn't believe his angle. Was basically facing first base and after I left took a shot.  Saw him the next day and asked why he was in that stance and he said he was told that was the only way to get a good view of the outside corner. HUH?  It's also one of the only ways to expose yourself without protection.

5 minutes ago, umpstu said:

Side of the neck or under the mask below the chin?  I ask because it might be possible that the angle of your stance or feet positioning is the reason.  Watched an umpire Saturday and couldn't believe his angle. Was basically facing first base and after I left took a shot.  Saw him the next day and asked why he was in that stance and he said he was told that was the only way to get a good view of the outside corner. HUH?  It's also one of the only ways to expose yourself without protection.

I get some neck shots and a few below chin. I try to stay squared up with the pitcher and sometime find myself getting a little more of a angle as the game goes on. Ive been working on keeping myself squared the whole time.

• Like 1

My opinion on metal throat protectors is, are you kidding me?

I've taken a few shots, where the protector was driven upwards, and lower edge met my throat. Now this was a curved plastic one, but still got my attention. I can't imagine what a metal bar would have done to me.

So yeah, it may look cool to some, but I'm questioning the reasoning for having a metal one.

p.s. I've added little padding to the inside, lower edge of my Mizuno, just in case. Just some black cloth tape, 'cause I know what might happen. I just the same tape in the bottom, rung of my mask, to keep it from "CLACKING".

7 hours ago, kylejt said:

My opinion on metal throat protectors is, are you kidding me?

I've taken a few shots, where the protector was driven upwards, and lower edge met my throat. Now this was a curved plastic one, but still got my attention. I can't imagine what a metal bar would have done to me.

So yeah, it may look cool to some, but I'm questioning the reasoning for having a metal one.

p.s. I've added little padding to the inside, lower edge of my Mizuno, just in case. Just some black cloth tape, 'cause I know what might happen. I just the same tape in the bottom, rung of my mask, to keep it from "CLACKING".

This is worth mentioning @kylejt.

You would want your throat guard to be long enough so that in your particular stance with your mask (some are angled out more than others) that should a ball hit the guard that the guard then hits your chest protector next, not your throat.

Otherwise, it would defeat the purpose...regardless of metal or plastic.

• Like 1

sJim, I agree, and that's where mine hits when I'm in my locked into my more upright stance.

But, we all flinch and move a little, especially when that ball hits the dirt and attacks us from below. I don't know how that ball rammed the protector against my neck, but it sure did. And some guys have really long necks, and/or improperly placed protectors. In the picture above, that guy is leaning so far out, that protector is going to flip up and tickle his chin. !

So why don't we see MLB catchers with those danglers? Well, well trained catchers are taught to tuck their chins in on balls in the dirt, and curl up around the ball. Only the weird bounced ball off their shin guards might get through. But we're up higher, and (supposed to be) locked into our position.

44 minutes ago, kylejt said:

...we all flinch and move a little... 

[Speak for yourself, sir.]

...I don't know how that ball rammed the protector against my neck...

^^^...improperly placed protector...^^^

...So why don't we see MLB catchers with those danglers?

[Remember when you were in Little league and they made you wear a dangler and it was improperly placed but you fell in the 90% of catchers who didn't take throat shots and you were sure it was because you were invincible? Kids don't think about what a larynx injury would be like, they think about looking "cool."]

...well trained catchers are taught to tuck their chins in on balls in the dirt...

[So are well trained umpires. Face the ball to maximize your gear, eyes on the batter's hands for check swing.]

...Only the weird bounced ball off their shin guards might get through...

[Or a hbp, or a breaking ball rotating hard enough. Sounds like you've proven throat guard not only look dumb but they're pointless.]

...But we're up higher, and (supposed to be) locked into our position...

[So you don't dive away as a curveball breaks through the middle; that's a game ruined. If the ball is bouncing and you don't flinch, I'm thinking you had your eyes shut tight.]

I agree with most of what you said. However, the fact that we are taught to not move with the pitch does put us at a disadvange.

Kyle does have a point about catcher's properly being taught to tuck their chin to their protector. They do it, mainly, so that they can see where the ball is as the deaden it. But it also serves to lower the open area to get hit in the throat.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kylejt said:

sJim, I agree, and that's where mine hits when I'm in my locked into my more upright stance.

But, we all flinch and move a little, especially when that ball hits the dirt and attacks us from below. I don't know how that ball rammed the protector against my neck, but it sure did. And some guys have really long necks, and/or improperly placed protectors. In the picture above, that guy is leaning so far out, that protector is going to flip up and tickle his chin. !

So why don't we see MLB catchers with those danglers? Well, well trained catchers are taught to tuck their chins in on balls in the dirt, and curl up around the ball. Only the weird bounced ball off their shin guards might get through. But we're up higher, and (supposed to be) locked into our position.

Really good point on what a catcher is taught (exactly right) vs an umpire.

8 hours ago, BalkHawk said:

[Or a hbp, or a breaking ball rotating hard enough. Sounds like you've proven throat guard not only look dumb but they're pointless.]

Gosh, I certainly hope not.

Now, I haven't been at this as long as a lot of you (18 years), but I have taken 5 decent shots to the throat protector on the 90' field. One did it come up and contact my throat, the other times it met my chest protector. Twice it violently ripped the dang thing off (one snap on, and one velcro), and shot it 1/2 way to the mound.

So it doesn't happen at lot. Probably about 1/2 as many times as getting clocked on my plate shoes. And it's quite true that with a given stance, and a shorter neck, some guys have no gap, and zero use for them. And we all have opinions what looks good or bad out there (hence the variety of hideous The Officials Choice shirts). I'm just relating my experiences and opinions.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kylejt said:

Probably about 1/2 as many times as getting clocked on my plate shoes.

Could have what happened to me. Brand new Zigs plate shoes. First game, some dunce F2 tries to "block" a ball in the dirt by standing up and stepping back. Putting a huge gash in my new shoes with his spikes. (And yes... this was a varsity game too.)