New Balance 450s for $200 - Wiskey Tango Foxtrot!

kylejt
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2612 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

This cat is trying create a "thing" for the old 450's. Now, I still have mine, and like them (the last of the real leather plate shoes), but two bills? Sweden would like to know what YOU'RE smoking, sir.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Balance-Baseball-Umpire-Plate-Shoes-450-Nike-Titanium-Reebox-Zigs-/142284605218?hash=item2120d2c722:g:gE8AAOSw4A5YqeiL

My favorite part : " All in all these are a 8-9 out of 10.. also a simple clean up is needed. I chose not to......" Classic.

I emailed the guy. Here is what he said:

Why even take ur time n write it.. if someone is willing to pay it then so be it. 
Ur not the market police. F**k off

And I said:

I took the 20 seconds to write it because it is a rip off and you titled it New Balance Baseball Umpire Plate Shoes 450 Nike Titanium Reebox Zigs when only 1 thing in that title is the actual item. 

I think we should be encouraging items like this.

Look, if he gets some chump to pay for his used shoes, think of the fortunes we all have in our garages! All those double bar Wilson masks, the cracked patent leather Gerry Davis shoes, and the tons and tons of +POS heather pants.

This joker may be setting me up for an early retirement!

• Like 1

He also has some filthy, beat up Zig plate shoes, too. They're only $38.25 (odd, random price, don't you think?)

Yeah, we should all wish him well, instead of chastising him. If he gets buyers for his "classic" gear, we're all in the money, and he's a marketing genius.  

45 minutes ago, Mister B said:

I liked this line, "A starting price of $200 I believe is fair due to new plate shoes being $140"

They are used, not vintage. And not cleaning them, but storing them for 5 years. Yuck. 

Yeah. I don't understand that line at all. I'm getting the new plate shoes over these. And I think sane people will as well.

He talks about the stitching coming undone around the front of the metatarsal plate, and then has the gall to say that they are in very good condition.  And here is his justification for the price-I SH*# YOU NOT;

"A starting price of $200 I believe is fair due to new plate shoes being $140 & this model being unavailable to get anywhere & the condition being very good."

ARE YOU KIDDING ME??  The only way I'm paying more for something that isn't produced anymore is if someone puts work into it, and it's better than what replaced it.  SMH!!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Thawk751 said:

He talks about the stitching coming undone around the front of the metatarsal plate, and then has the gall to say that they are in very good condition.  And here is his justification for the price-I SH*# YOU NOT;

"A starting price of $200 I believe is fair due to new plate shoes being $140 & this model being unavailable to get anywhere & the condition being very good."

ARE YOU KIDDING ME??  The only way I'm paying more for something that isn't produced anymore is if someone puts work into it, and it's better than what replaced it.  SMH!!

It's a bit ridiculous. He thinks people are stupid

• Like 1

Anyone can see what a steamy load this is. Unfortunately, the seller has a (despicable, loathsome) point; the free market will always be happy to separate a fool and his money.

Just for fun, I would pose this question to more discerning umpires: in principle, how far removed is this from selling a used Nike Ti for $500? There's no MSRP; the first guy to sell one (some recent college grad or poor minor leaguer) probably set the price ridiculously high just to fish for suckers.

True that the lifespan of a Ti cage is many times that of a pair of shoes, but they are both used. Also, they are both in limited supply but you can buy a basically equivalent, unused mask from Wilson, or All-Star (if you care more about function than sporting a yellow "W" like you saw on TV.)

22 hours ago, kylejt said:

I think we should be encouraging items like this.

Look, if he gets some chump to pay for his used shoes, think of the fortunes we all have in our garages! All those double bar Wilson masks, the cracked patent leather Gerry Davis shoes, and the tons and tons of +POS heather pants.

This joker may be setting me up for an early retirement!

I still have my red +POS mask.  This should fetch at least 37 cents.