EJ During Scrimmage?

ElkOil
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2590 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Was it directed towards you or towards one of his players (or an action on the field)? If towards anyone other than you or the opposing coach, let it slide – it's part of baseball and part of life. If I had a dollar for every time a coach of mine cut loose an expletive during practice or scrimmages, I'd have enough to open a Savings & Loan.

If directed towards you (or your partner) as an umpire, a stern reminder or warning of "Coach, that language will get you dumped in the regular season. This is just a scrimmage", should be enough.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, MadMax said:

Was it directed towards you or towards one of his players (or an action on the field)? If towards anyone other than you or the opposing coach, let it slide – it's part of baseball and part of life. If I had a dollar for every time a coach of mine cut loose an expletive during practice or scrimmages, I'd have enough to open a Savings & Loan.

If directed towards you (or your partner) as an umpire, a stern reminder or warning of "Coach, that language will get you dumped in the regular season. This is just a scrimmage", should be enough.

I couldn't tell who he directed it at, since my back was turned, but it was loud enough for everyone to hear. And it was because he was angry, so it wasn't just loose talk.

if it was warranted, as you state, then the upside includes:

• no paperwork
  • good practice for you to tune in your "how far is too far" before the season starts
  • makes that coach be more careful around you if he sees you again, and possibly in general
  • gets respect from opponents (coach, players, fans) that care about sportsmanship
  • makes for a decent story =)

There most certainly is paperwork in our state. Scrimmage ejections for the last few/couple years are treated just like regular season ones, with the same report requirements and 1 (or 2, depending on sport) game suspension for the coach. If EJ in a scrimmage, they miss the 1st reg season game - sitting out another scrimmage doesn't count.

I suspect there was a rash of "free shots" taken in scrimmages a few yrs back, so it was tightened up.

I've thought about this recently, with some questions... was the scrimmage assigned through the league assigner? Or were you invited to be there through an association? Are you guest at someone else's party? That might help determine how to handle it, but for my part, it should be handled in some manner or other, so this coach isn't inadvertently developing habits that will cost him later. Because you know what his excuse will be,... "I said the same exact thing when so and so was calling the game and he didn't have anything to say about it, and now you're tossing me???!!!!". 

42 minutes ago, kstrunk said:

I've thought about this recently, with some questions... was the scrimmage assigned through the league assigner? Or were you invited to be there through an association? Are you guest at someone else's party? That might help determine how to handle it, but for my part, it should be handled in some manner or other, so this coach isn't inadvertently developing habits that will cost him later. Because you know what his excuse will be,... "I said the same exact thing when so and so was calling the game and he didn't have anything to say about it, and now you're tossing me???!!!!". 

"Yup."

• Like 2

11 hours ago, kstrunk said:

It was an assignment. I should have at least said something to him.

A few years ago I did have an ejection in a scrimmage. Two local Colt teams made it out of district and wanted to scrimmage each other before moving on. 

This park has an outfield fence in left field the fence only extends 5-10 feet into foul territory and the fence along the 3rd base foul line ends 50ish feet feet before where it would meet the outfield. So there is a significant gap.

I had bases and my partner thoroughly went over the ground rules. 

We had a ball hit fair then rolled beyond the outfield fence. When it went out I announced a 2-base award and when I looked at the batter he was already standing on 2nd taking off his gloves. So he knew it was a GRD.

The head coach is in the 3rd base coach's box and begins hollering for him to run, which he doesn't. The coach is starting to go into hysterics trying to get his guy to run. I walk over and tell him, "It went out, its a ground rule double."

He starts screaming that the left fielder is chasing it so it is still a live ball. 

I tried calmly saying it doesn't matter if he chases, once it went out the ball was dead. 

The coach looses it and and is now screaming at me. 

I told him something along the lines of "That's enough" but he continued and was ejected. 

I never thought I'd have an ejection in a scrimmage.

• Like 2