Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Gfoley4

Hitting bat twice on bunt attempt

Randomly stumbled on this clip on youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gfg0f13HtbQ Shouldn't this have been ruled a foul ball? Seems like the batter was still in the box when it hit the bat again.

(8) After hitting or bunting a fair ball, his bat hits the ball a second time in fair territory. The ball is dead and no runners may advance. If the batter-runner drops his bat and the ball rolls against the bat in fair territory and, in the umpire’s judgment, there was no intention to interfere with the course of the ball, the ball is alive and in play. If the batter is in a legal position in the batter’s box, see Rule 5.04(b)(5) (Rule 6.03), and, in the umpire’s judgment, there was no intention to interfere with the course of the ball, a batted ball that strikes the batter or his bat shall be ruled a foul ball;

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

We've debated these plays here before.  Apparently MLB is enforcing interference if there is any movement towards first base, whether he's within a step and a half or not.

I agree, in this case I don't think there was as his feet didn't move at all.

That one's a foul ball, even if it hit his hand. He was still in "legal batting position," with both feet on the ground in the box.

I personally like the direction MLB has taken enforcement of this, making the "legal batting position" exception to BR INT more restrictive. I don't know what Cubby saw here, but the replays certainly seem to satisfy the exception, even given the more restrictive reading.

It took that extra "infrared" technology, rather than camera IR technology to see the ball brushing the shoe several years ago, but infrared is not used in IR.

My favorite use of infrared is actually in cricket. You see it a lot on their replays and then when trying to figure out if a wicket has been taken. (Thank you ESPN GO for allowing my to reconnect with this wonderful sport!)

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By BeeCee
      Runner on third, 1 out.  Ball is popped up to shallow right field.  Runner does not wait for the catch and just runs home.  Right fielder does not make the catch but when the runner realizes they should have waited to possibly tag up they have already touched the plate.  They turn around and start running back to third thinking the RF made the catch.  The RF sees the runner  going back to third and throws the ball, overthrowing third.  Batter eventually gets to third on the overthrow.  There is an exception to the Interference rule that says just continuing to run the bases for a retired runner does not constitute interference.  However, was this continuing to run?  There is no call for a score so I don't think you can blame the RF for attempting the play unlike when a runner is called out.  Interference or no?  
    • By LC103
      8U Minor Leagues
      There is a close play at 1st base.  Umpire signals the runner safe.  The opposing coach yells "out!" so runner steps off of 1st.  The 1st basemen then tags the runner and the umpire changes his call to out.  Is this coaches interference?  If so, where in the Little League hand book does it address this?
      Thanks!
      LC

• By LMSANS
      NFHS JV -- R1, R2 1 out. F1 throws a wild pitch.  Both runners move up, before the ball stops moving, the on-deck batter picks up and hands the ball to F2.  
      I (BU) call time and get together with my partner.  We call R2 (now R3) out and send R1 back to first.
      Were we right? or OOO?
    • By Obbay
      Re:HS softball- I read NFHS to say that Obstruction (defense) can be either intentional or unintentional- it's still obstruction. However when reading about Interference (offense) they only refer to it being intentional. But I'm thinking if a baserunner collides with a fielder making the initial play on a batted ball because the runner misjudged, it would be both unintentional AND Interference, no?
      R1 is on 2B and batted ball is deflected by pitcher to right side of IF. Ball is played by F4 wh goes to F3 with it. At the same time, R1 sees the deflection and takes off for 3B and SS (who has no play or effect on the outcome of the play) and R1 collide, would it be Interference or Obstruction?

• By Thawk
      So I had a 11u travel ball game last night.  I had one play occur that looking through the rulebook I think I might have kicked, but at the time neither side argued with my call.  So I thought I would put it up and get thoughts.
      Situation, Runners on 1B & 2B, no outs.  B/R lays down a bunt which goes right in front of the plate.  As the B/R begins to run for 1B, he lets go off the bat in fair territory.  It lands on top of the ball.  I killed the play immediately, called the B/R out for interference, and sent the runners back to 1B and 2B.
      Here's my dilemma- OBR describes this situation in when the batter/runner is clearly trying to break up a double play.  There was clearly not going to be a double play-runners were moving on the pitch.  So I am just curious if I am reading that rule incorrectly (6.01-can't remember the subsection)  To clarify, the ball didn't roll into the bat, the bat landed on the ball.