Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Gfoley4

Hitting bat twice on bunt attempt

Randomly stumbled on this clip on youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gfg0f13HtbQ Shouldn't this have been ruled a foul ball? Seems like the batter was still in the box when it hit the bat again.

(8) After hitting or bunting a fair ball, his bat hits the ball a second time in fair territory. The ball is dead and no runners may advance. If the batter-runner drops his bat and the ball rolls against the bat in fair territory and, in the umpire’s judgment, there was no intention to interfere with the course of the ball, the ball is alive and in play. If the batter is in a legal position in the batter’s box, see Rule 5.04(b)(5) (Rule 6.03), and, in the umpire’s judgment, there was no intention to interfere with the course of the ball, a batted ball that strikes the batter or his bat shall be ruled a foul ball;

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member

We've debated these plays here before.  Apparently MLB is enforcing interference if there is any movement towards first base, whether he's within a step and a half or not.

I agree, in this case I don't think there was as his feet didn't move at all.

That one's a foul ball, even if it hit his hand. He was still in "legal batting position," with both feet on the ground in the box.

I personally like the direction MLB has taken enforcement of this, making the "legal batting position" exception to BR INT more restrictive. I don't know what Cubby saw here, but the replays certainly seem to satisfy the exception, even given the more restrictive reading.

It took that extra "infrared" technology, rather than camera IR technology to see the ball brushing the shoe several years ago, but infrared is not used in IR.

My favorite use of infrared is actually in cricket. You see it a lot on their replays and then when trying to figure out if a wicket has been taken. (Thank you ESPN GO for allowing my to reconnect with this wonderful sport!)

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By johnnyg08
      R2 (stealing), R3 (not stealing)
      Batter squares to bunt and hits the catcher's mitt while trying to bunt the pitch. The plate umpire correctly calls interference on the catcher. The pitch is fouled off out of play. The umpire begins to enforce the penalty.
      Without wondering why R3 isn't stealing, but R2 is stealing state the proper enforcement below. Feel free to cite any applicable case plays, rule citations, etc...

• By basejester
      Little League Major Softball tournament.  Ball is dead.  Defense wishes to appeal a runner missed home.  Coaches are yelling instructions regarding the appeal process across the field.  Offensive coach tells his batter to swing if it's a strike.  Pitcher toes the rubber.  Home plate umpire puts the ball in play.
        Pitcher steps off and then moves about 3' to her left of the rubber and throws the ball overhand toward home.  (None of the players speak during the play.) The catcher moves forward toward the pitcher.  The ball comes in near the outside corner of the plate.   The batter swings at the ball and hits the catcher's mitt and hand.  The catcher is unable to catch the ball.  No runners attempt to advance.  Home plate umpire calls time for injured catcher.   What's your ruling?
    • By jms1425

Stumbled across this video that was posted 11 years ago (YouTube is that old??).... My initial thought was that F1 is no longer protected after the ball hit him and bounced away by more than "a step and a reach", thus this would be obstruction on F1, so BR gets 1st.
      Thoughts?

• By Mad Mike
      How would you handle this?
      NFHS
      Bases Loaded, 2 outs, high pop fly to short-stop. Runners going on contact. R2 clips shortstop. Umpire rules interference; however, R3 had crossed plate before interference was called. 
      I have a group that is giving different answers: Timing Play (score the run), R2 forced to advance and interferes (thus treat as force out on the interfering runner) no run scores, or no run can score on interference-ball is dead--call interfering runner out, inning over with no runs scoring. If there were less than 2 out, return all runners TOP--call interfering runner out, BR goes to first.
      What is the best rule reference for this situation?