Are the New Smitty Performance Polyspandex the Next New Umpire Pant?

JimKirk
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2185 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Anyways...............................

I use a pretty standard Sunbeam iron, medium setting, and always use distilled water. Full steam, and constantly pushing the STEAM button.

When I initially tested, used the bottom portion of my unhemmed pants, knowing they'd be cut off. If you're ironing for the first time, I suggest doing that, or, turn your pants inside out, and work on the hemmed up portion to dial in your settings.

I will try all the above tips, though, and thanks for sharing all those.

On 5/2/2017 at 10:49 AM, BrianC14 said:

Navy trained, brother.  I enlisted in '76, so we are both well acquainted with the wonders of gabardine.   :)   It might be the type of iron, but there have been times where living in an area with 'hard water' that the steam vents would get clogged up with mineral deposits which end up steamed right into the fabric.   I found that lifting it off that the little mineral pieces were easy to brush away.   SWMBO has a really nice iron ($$$) that I've been granted permission to use, and it doesn't give me that mineral deposit problem.

I made a lot of money ironing others dungarees in boot camp.  And spit shining was a breeze for me.  Made money on that as well.  Had to pay me in quarters because that's what the soda and geedunk machines used. Ha.

• Like 1

I ordered 3 pairs of Hudson51wear.com three weeks ago today and I've heard nothing from them since ordering with the exception of a confirmation email. When I go to my order online it shows as shipped but doesn't list any tracking information, shipping date, etc. and they haven't responded to my email. Has anyone ordered from there and had a similar experience?

On 5/1/2017 at 4:37 PM, kylejt said:

Let me steer this out of the ditch, and back on the road. .....

After a few weeks with my new pants, and having a traveler's crease put in them, I have noticed one thing. If you don't take them right out of the dryer, they're very wrinkled. Now, I iron them no matter what, but sometimes other pants came out at 80-90%. Not these.

But after a few weekends of +80 degree games, I can't even imagine wearing wool again. Now it just seems stupid that we ever did.

I tried to get a travelers crease put in mine and Men's Wharehouse would not do it. They were scared they would damage the material. Where did you go?

On 5/12/2017 at 8:32 AM, Mr Ump said:

I tried to get a travelers crease put in mine and Men's Wharehouse would not do it. They were scared they would damage the material. Where did you go?

Men's Wearhouse, Carlsbad, CA, 10 bucks.

I fully understand how someone might not want to take the risk of ruining your pants, and pass on the $. They're polyester, and could easily be burned. But do keep trying elsewhere, because it makes ironing this pants sooooooooo much easier. And they'll look razor sharp.

Every time I wear these pants, especially in the heat, I wonder why we didn't complain about wearing wool a long time ago. My polywools have stayed in my closet all year, except for one game.

The one thing about the Honig's/Hardwicks pants is their durability. The damn things are bullet proof, and I've got several pair that are a dozen years old. We just don't know how long these new drawers will last over the years. But I'm now of the thinking that I don't really care. They're that superior on the field.

The next piece of gear we need to work on is the hat. No need for a wool lid any more, folks. I did 5 hours of traffic control in the direct sun in a modern ball cap, and two hours in a wool  hat behind the plate, yesterday. Big difference. My plate hat, and my head, was a sweaty mess. No reason for wool there,either.

• Like 1

Update on my previous comments about the pants: I now love them. They give you a nice professional look. I have had other umpires in awe at the slight "shine" they have. My only complaint is that they're a little darker than most other charcoal gray shades, but hopefully others will adopt these pants in the near future.

What will be interesting to see is who will be the next manufacturer to make something like this. We've got a new standard, so will someone try to match, or improve it.

I'm betting on Under Armour. I'll bet they may want to reinvent the whole umpire uniform, head to toe. MLB umpires are on TV for three hours a game. Now you may differ on using them as marketing tools, but they have a large (some larger that others) presence on the television.

And with the ties that Under Armour has to All Star, you might see a gear change, too. (Sorry, Joe).

On 5/14/2017 at 6:19 PM, kylejt said:

What will be interesting to see is who will be the next manufacturer to make something like this. We've got a new standard, so will someone try to match, or improve it.

I'm betting on Under Armour. I'll bet they may want to reinvent the whole umpire uniform, head to toe. MLB umpires are on TV for three hours a game. Now you may differ on using them as marketing tools, but they have a large (some larger that others) presence on the television.

And with the ties that Under Armour has to All Star, you might see a gear change, too. (Sorry, Joe).

My only concern would be that they'd also come with Under Armor pricing.   :(

• Like 1

On 5/14/2017 at 7:19 PM, kylejt said:

Under Armour is taking over all MLB uniforms beginning in 2020 I believe.  I may be a year off.  Anyhow, UA will most certainly be putting their mark on umpire apparel within the next few years.  Personally, I'm excited about that!

On 4/28/2017 at 0:01 PM, MadMax said:

I'm going to throw a kink into this thread...

While browsing through the nearby Nike Factory Store last week, I happened across Dri-Fit Golf Pants (slacks, more like)... in charcoal grey. So, I tried them on, and they fit and looked terrific. I waited a week to see if they went on sale, and they did, so now I'm the enthused owner of Nike Golf Pants for use as Base Pants. They will never be plate pants – I'm not expecting them to be – but in terms of base pants, if you have the physique for it, they not only look extremely flattering, but they weigh nothing, breathe beautifully, and move effortlessly.

I only noticed two minor (petty, actually) issues, and both are due to them as Golf pants:

1. they will not accept a belt broader than 1.5", and don't do well with a thick, heavy belt at that, so all you guys fond of wearing 1.75" patent leather belts... can't
  2. they are cut in such a way to cleanly accept one rather thin golf shirt to be tucked in. When one has to tuck in an undershirt and an umpire shirt, even using the ultra-thin Majestic and TheOfficialsChoice material, it gets a little... frumpy around the waist and seat.

Major pluses though? Love this:

• Ethereal weight. They feel exceptionally light.
  • Dry within minutes, if not seconds.
  • Flat front. No stupid pleating.
  • Already sold to-length, and length is dead-right-on.
  • "Nike" = Victory, Excellence, etc.; "Smitty" = Problematic, Slipshod, OOO, etc.

I went on Ebay and found a cheaper pair of the Nike Dri-Fit golf pants.  The color is a lighter shade of charcoal (matches up pretty well with an older pair of charcoal Honigs combo pants I have).  Another plus is they come with the length/inseam already tailored and included in the price. The fit, comfort, stretch, and air flow in them are as good as it comes when it comes to wearing in heated conditions.  My 1.75" belt does actually fit into the loops of my pants, so I maintain the professional look.  I'll use these as backups to the Smitty poly spandex base pants, and who knows, maybe more.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BrianC14 said:

Nike Dri Fit - found on Ebay....  are these the ones?   (They got some gray in 'em....)

nike dri fit.jpg

Fore!

you should get a free bowl of soup when you buy a pair of these!

• Like 2