Are the New Smitty Performance Polyspandex the Next New Umpire Pant?

JimKirk
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2205 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

19 hours ago, Stk004 said:

The pants seem darker than most others, but I think some on here will disagree with me. They can also look kind of shiny in the right lighting out on the field. Really comfortable though. I have about 12 innings in (rain) using these pants and so far no complaints. 

They are darker. Haven't noticed the shiny issue yet.  Just hope I don't become self conscious and keep string at my pants all game looking for shiny. Thanks, Stk004.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, umpstu said:

They are darker. Haven't noticed the shiny issue yet.  Just hope I don't become self conscious and keep string at my pants all game looking for shiny. Thanks, Stk004.

I'm convinced it has to be just the right shade of overcast with pending rain to make them shine. If anyone else notices, let me know. 

3 minutes ago, mbkcoach said:

How do these fit compared to the othe smitty pants?

There's no expanding waist band. Much lighter, darker color, waist in the plate pants seem to be roomier than the base pants. That said, a 32 in both works fine for me. 

14 minutes ago, Stk004 said:

There's no expanding waist band. Much lighter, darker color, waist in the plate pants seem to be roomier than the base pants. That said, a 32 in both works fine for me. 

It's an elastic waist band. It does expand.

20 hours ago, kylejt said:

I lent my plate pants to my long time partner this afternoon, and got another glowing endorsement. And, an order from Ump-Attire. 75+ degrees on the field, and the warmer it is, they more these pants make total sense.

I'd expect another manufacturer to jump on this bandwagon, and soon. The reviews are almost all positive, and you can see by the retailers selling out, the writing is on the wall.  I think we're done with wool pants, my friends.

The color is close enough for rec ball, for sure. Probably passable for HS. They're much closer to polywool color that the original GD pants, that's for sure.

I'm also positive that some organizations, run by gezzers, will not except them. I feel for you folks stuck in those situations, 'cause you don't know what you're missing.

I think this time next year we'll be deciding on which "golf pants" are best. We'll be done with wool, and wondering what we were thinking, and why we didn't get these a dozen years ago.

You can bet that Honig's will try to make their version of it. The same way they made their version of the basketball pants.

http://honigs.com/sport/basketball/honig-s-4-way-stretch-premium-basketball-slack.html

http://honigs.com/sport/basketball/honig-s-4-way-stretch-premium-basketball-slack-pleated.html

I was about to pull the trigger on the Davis Charcoal Plate Umpire pants until I chanced upon this thread. How does this new Smitty pants compare to that of the Davis Charcoal Pants? Both seems to be also made with "stretch" fabric and a darker hue of gray. The price is lower on the Davis @ $49.90...and the Smittys @ $59.99

First, the Smitty poly stretch "golf" pants do NOT have and elastic expander waistband. They do, however, because of the material, give a bit in the waist.

They are a bit shiny. I'm wearing a pair in the office right now, and do have a bit of a sheen to them. But to me that's a good thing.

I have never cared for the original Davis polyester pants, and only kept a set to match other partners, or, work from a knee in a little kids game. They are completely different color. I do know that some folks and organizations love them. They are quite durable, and easy to care for.

The golf pants are indeed darker than the benchmark Honig's polywools. But if we're going to advance in our technology, we're going to have a make a change. Are these new golf pants the new benchmark? Time will tell. But I'd like to think so.

1 hour ago, kylejt said:

First, the Smitty poly stretch "golf" pants do NOT have and elastic expander waistband. They do, however, because of the material, give a bit in the waist.

They are a bit shiny. I'm wearing a pair in the office right now, and do have a bit of a sheen to them. But to me that's a good thing.

I have never cared for the original Davis polyester pants, and only kept a set to match other partners, or, work from a knee in a little kids game. They are completely different color. I do know that some folks and organizations love them. They are quite durable, and easy to care for.

The golf pants are indeed darker than the benchmark Honig's polywools. But if we're going to advance in our technology, we're going to have a make a change. Are these new golf pants the new benchmark? Time will tell. But I'd like to think so.

All kinds of elastic in that waist and they do stretch. 

1 hour ago, kylejt said:

I like them but not enough to hope that the new Smitty Poly Wools that @JimKirk teased about arent  on the same level as Honigs PW from three years ago.  IF they are, they will be the pants worn IMO

1 hour ago, acpar72 said:

I like them but not enough to hope that the new Smitty Poly Wools that @JimKirk teased about arent  on the same level as Honigs PW from three years ago.  IF they are, they will be the pants worn IMO

And you just might be right. Folks may not be ready to dump their wool pants, just yet.

Also, I live in San Diego, where wool make even less sense. So I might be a bit biased

3 hours ago, kylejt said:

One more golf pants observation.

I've washed and dried mine several times now, and I've found if I take them right out of the medium heat dryer, and hang the up by the bottoms, I don't need to iron them.

That's what I do. I'll throw them in for about 15 minutes on the "tumble press" and then hang them up. Good to go. 

5 hours ago, mbkcoach said:

If I wear 38 in the smittys with expander. Do y'all think I would be 38 in golf pants or 40? 

I don't think anyone has answered your question. I wear a 36 in Honigs poly-wools 2015 model.  I ordered 36 in these Smitty golf pants. Base and plate. They swallowed me. I reordered in 34. Fit nicely. Selling both 36 to my buddy Mike. 

2 hours ago, kylejt said:

And you just might be right. Folks may not be ready to dump their wool pants, just yet.

Also, I live in San Diego, where wool make even less sense. So I might be a bit biased

Yep. I'm in the Coachella Valley and it's only 98 right now, so those new Smitty's hit the spot.  

2 hours ago, Stk004 said:

That's what I do. I'll throw them in for about 15 minutes on the "tumble press" and then hang them up. Good to go. 

No touch up at all with the iron?

3 hours ago, taa71458 said:

Going to clean up the legs on the field pants to get a nicer cut.

The legs are a bit wide on the base pants. So I'm thinking about doing the same. Something to think about, when you're heading to get your pants hemmed. In fact, my tailor, in her halting English, was trying to ask me about that. Shoulda used Google Translator.

Ok....so I normally wear the GD Fetcheimer Poly Wools base and plate. I just bought the new Smitty Combos (I normally don't wear combos) off a buddy who had the wrong size sent to him. Although my first game for tomorrow was snowed out (LOL) I am thinking after reading this thread I will order another pair of Poly Wool Fetcheimer and a pair of base and plate Smitty's. Why you might ask? Well, I love the Fetcheimers (comfort, fit, feel) and just in case they get phased out, I am set plus I am in Chicago where it don't get warm until May 15th. I will have then 3 pair of Smitty's (darker color) for the hot days (sun fade/cooler) and warm nights in my summer college leagues. This way by this time next year all reviews will be in and we will all know which direction our pants are going. Either way I will have the best of both worlds.At least this is my plan.

12 minutes ago, kylejt said:

That seem like a great plan, Mr. UMP. CYA on both sides.

And seeing that my base golf pants are so wide that I can nearly get my shin guards on, let us know how those combos fit.

I have not tried them on with my Force 3 shins yet (because I have not hemmed them) but just visually looking at them the leg area from knee to ankle looks slim. Since the Force 3's are slim I don't anticipate an issue. Originally I was just gonna wear the combos on the bases in the summer so I did not really worry about the shim fit but upon further review I will use them for their intended purpose - DH's....lol. As soon as I hem them I will report back on the fit.

Got my plate pants in the poly spandex.  Love the texture and feel.  I have identical colored golf pants that I might sneak into the high school season on the bases when things get busy.  I'm a 38 in almost all my pants.  Without the expander waist they were true to size, though I might bump up to a 40 if the base pants run snug as posted in this thread.  

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, umpire20 said:

Is anyone else not a huge fan of the poly spandex pants? I thought stretchy would be a good idea, but my first few games this year behind the plate have been awkward with the pants. It just doesn't feel right.

I love mine.