Are the New Smitty Performance Polyspandex the Next New Umpire Pant?

JimKirk
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2205 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I was not a fan of the Smitty pants I purchased some years back. Construction was top notch but the fit was terrible. No room in the thigh and seat...even the plate pants were tight and i couldn't even use them on the pads they were so narrow in seat and thighs. BUT, with free returns...as a more athletic fit...I need pants this year and was going to pull the lever on Gerry Davis PW's...this might be worth a look...

3 hours ago, NWA_UMP said:

I was not a fan of the Smitty pants I purchased some years back. Construction was top notch but the fit was terrible. No room in the thigh and seat...even the plate pants were tight and i couldn't even use them on the pads they were so narrow in seat and thighs. BUT, with free returns...as a more athletic fit...I need pants this year and was going to pull the lever on Gerry Davis PW's...this might be worth a look...

We feel your pain @NWA_UMP, and you illustrate the perfect reason of why we are offering free returns on these.

Glad you mentioned that. Thank you and hope they work out for you.

15 minutes ago, JimKirk said:

We feel your pain @NWA_UMP, and you illustrate the perfect reason of why we are offering free returns on these.

Glad you mentioned that. Thank you and hope they work out for you.

Has Scott tried them on over his shin guards?  If so, which shin gaurds?  The platinum and F3 would fit over the Smitty Poly Wools but not the golds due to the triple knee.  Also, regarding the material...is it safe to assume the material is close if not exact to the NBA style Smitty basketball pants @JimKirk ?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, acpar72 said:

Has Scott tried them on over his shin guards?  If so, which shin gaurds?  The platinum and F3 would fit over the Smitty Poly Wools but not the golds due to the triple knee.  Also, regarding the material...is it safe to assume the material is close if not exact to the NBA style Smitty basketball pants @JimKirk ?

He has a video on the site showing us that he is wearing the force and platinums. It honestly didn't look like he had on anything on his legs! I

Jim,

I've been clambering for pants like Adidas Climacool golf pants here for some time. "Smarter" pants, if you will.

I'll push the button on some plate pants in a few minutes.

Thank you for listening.

(Now you need to get with Little League, and capture that market. No reason that H$@^#'s is still their sponsor, as they have no presence).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JimKirk said:

Yes @celt62. Scott says he will have his on.

@JimKirk, just be sure to warn Scott he will likely be accosted by a large man who will want to caress his leg!

... or maybe don't, and instead watch hijinks ensue.

Anyway, Jim, I need to ask for a professional insight – there are guys saying they run "true to size". Well, I wear a 34 in most slacks, but my DbF base pants are 36, as were those Boombahs I had when you noticed them in C-town (since retired). So with this new material (I think PolyDex is the word, @acpar72), should I stick with 36 or "go slim" with 34?

My plate pants are, too, 36, but I'm on the fence on ordering a set of plate pants, given I just ordered in another pair of DbF plates. :/... 

Oh! What's the word on Care & Maintenance?

21 minutes ago, MadMax said:

@JimKirk, just be sure to warn Scott he will likely be accosted by a large man who will want to caress his leg!

... or maybe don't, and instead watch hijinks ensue.

Anyway, Jim, I need to ask for a professional insight – there are guys saying they run "true to size". Well, I wear a 34 in most slacks, but my DbF base pants are 36, as were those Boombahs I had when you noticed them in C-town (since retired). So with this new material (I think PolyDex is the word, @acpar72), should I stick with 36 or "go slim" with 34?

My plate pants are, too, 36, but I'm on the fence on ordering a set of plate pants, given I just ordered in another pair of DbF plates. :/... 

Oh! What's the word on Care & Maintenance?

I'm at 38 dress pamts and jeans so I'm wearing a 38. Up to you on what you want to do @MadMax

Section on care on page has wash in cold and tumble dry low.

We have been discussing pants from a more modern material for a while. I've seen but not purchased the underarmour golf pants (since I don't play golf) but liked them and believed that material may make good umpire pants. I wish they'd left pleats out of them. Just make fat guys look fatter and thin guys look fat. (In my opinion). 

@JimKirk I'm a little peeved you didn't try to clue me in when we were taking in Chicago a couple weekends ago about this very subject. But I'll forgive you if these pants turn out to be the thing we've all been seeking and discussing.  Haha  

So, I too pulled the trigger on a pair of each (along with another six things) and anxiously await their arrival. Question for you Jim. Did you have anything to do with this product being developed or does the credit go elsewhere?

• Like 1