Are the New Smitty Performance Polyspandex the Next New Umpire Pant?

JimKirk
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2185 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Check them out at this not-yet-available-to-the-public link with detailed info, photos and videos by Scott Kennedy.

www.ump-attire.com/polyspandex

Find out for yourself as we are offering a VIP promotion of them to UE members, our Facebook fans and email subscribers before we open them up to everyone.

The reason we are doing this is there is a very limited current supply and wanted to give you first chance of what will be a hot item.

• Like 1

@JimKirk    Hi Jim. Small grammar correction -  On the plate pants page, under "construction," it mentions 

• Preased crease

which I'm guessing should read "pressed" crease.

Thanks for the heads up on these. If they don't turn purplish after 2 seasons, you should have a winner.

• Like 1

Alright, so I was reading through this thread and the product description and even through the first half of the video I was thinking "Yeah, so what?" 

BUT THEN my man @Scott Kennedy said it was similar to the "golf pant material" we have been asking for and my ears have never perked up so fast. That may have been the selling point for me to see what's up.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Stk004 said:

Alright, so I was reading through this thread and the product description and even through the first half of the video I was thinking "Yeah, so what?" 

BUT THEN my man @Scott Kennedy said it was similar to the "golf pant material" we have been asking for and my ears have never perked up so fast. That may have been the selling point for me to see what's up.

With all the shin guards, legging-things, and layers of Nutty Buddy protection already on us before we slide those pants on, do we get a benefit of feel from the golf pant material?  Or is it mainly the fact it's airier for those warmer games?

• Like 2

Just now, alex7 said:

With all the shin guards, legging-things, and layers of Nutty Buddy protection already on us before we slide those pants on, do we get a benefit of feel from the golf pant material?  Or is it mainly the fact it's airier for those warmer games?

My thoughts exactly. I always wear compression pants/leggings on the plate, so maybe it's just the lightweight advantage on that end. But on the bases, these could be a game changer. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, alex7 said:

@JimKirk    Hi Jim. Small grammar correction -  On the plate pants page, under "construction," it mentions 

• Preased crease

which I'm guessing should read "pressed" crease.

Thanks for the heads up on these. If they don't turn purplish after 2 seasons, you should have a winner.

Thanks @alex7for the call from the replay booth. Call corrected!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JimKirk said:

Check them out at this not-yet-available-to-the-public link with detailed info, photos and videos by Scott Kennedy.

www.ump-attire.com/polyspandex

Find out for yourself as we are offering a VIP promotion of them to UE members, our Facebook fans and email subscribers before we open them up to everyone.

The reason we are doing this is there is a very limited current supply and wanted to give you first chance of what will be a hot item.

MY LATEST ORDER OF BASE PANTS FROM YOU JUST ARRIVED TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, BT_Blue said:

@Scott Kennedy @JimKirk

Scott mentioned something about discount code coming tomorrow. Is that the $5 off in the link you posted? Or are there more goodies to come?

As long, how do these compare in color to the old Smitty polywools, Davis-by-Fechheimer, and old Honigs polywool pants? 

Great questions! Discount built-in (we were just able to get these up a day earlier than we thought.)

The color is good. It's difficult to compare the color as it's a different fabric. It's not a "heathered" fabric you see in poly or poly-wool pants that technically have multiple colors throughout. It's all one-color charcoal grey. So looking at it one way it's lighter and in another it's darker.

It would be like comparing the color of a one-color sport coat to a houndstooth jacket.

I know there was LOTS of input into the color from us and many in the umpire community on multiple levels.

Regardless, curious what you guys think. We, obviously, are pretty excited (if you haven't noticed). I think Scott slept in them last night he liked them so much.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Stk004 said:

Yes, golf pant material is poly spandex.

We get asked a lot "why can't an umpire pant be made with golf pant material?" This is it.

• Like 1

These sound like Smitty's 4-way stretch basketball pants they came out with a couple years ago. I bought a pair last year and a new pair this year. They are far and away the best basketball pants I've worn. They blow the old Sansabelt polyester style pants out of the water. If these are anything like the basketball pants, they will be good. They breathe better and move better with you as you move. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, zm1283 said:

These sound like Smitty's 4-way stretch basketball pants they came out with a couple years ago. I bought a pair last year and a new pair this year. They are far and away the best basketball pants I've worn. They blow the old Sansabelt polyester style pants out of the water. If these are anything like the basketball pants, they will be good. They breathe better and move better with you as you move. 

@zm1283 you are correct! Same 92/8 polyspandex fabric blend with 4-way stretch as the basketball pants.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JimKirk said:

Yes, golf pant material is poly spandex.

We get asked a lot "why can't an umpire pant be made with golf pant material?" This is it.

I know I've asked you numerous times. 2 pairs already ordered. I can't wait to see what they look like. 

• Like 1

Dangit. I need new pants before the season starts and these sound perfect, but my "fun money" account from which umpire gear gets purchased is *really* low.

Time to start hitting up people that owe me money.

• Like 2