FED Runner Designations: From the Horse's Mouth

VolUmp
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2620 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

This is a very kind reply I received from B. Elliot Hopkins regarding FED's "priority" of changing runner designations to conform with MLB and NCAA.

"Mr. -----,

Thank you for your note. If you would occasionally like to submit some errors in our publications, I would happily review them.

We are not interested in changing our runner designations to be like MLB or NCAA.

Thank you for your correspondence and hope to hear back from you.

Respectfully,

B. Elliot Hopkins, MLD, CAA

NFHS Director of Sports,

Sanctioning and Student Services

LawUmp???  What say Ye, my good Barrister???  I recall the word PRIORITY.

On 1/22/2017 at 9:23 AM, VolUmp said:

"We are not interested in changing our runner designations to be like MLB or NCAA."

or LL, or Pony, or any other baseball program played anywhere else on the planet...

• Like 3

Just now, Stk004 said:

I'm new to FED but the concept of saying "R1 on second" instead of "R2" blows my mind. 

Yeh... it is a bit confusing. It is why, when discussing anything but FED rules or Case Plays, my association still uses the proper designations.

Just easier!

Yeh... it is a bit confusing. It is why, when discussing anything but FED rules or Case Plays, my association still uses the proper designations.

Just easier!

My association always scraps the FED designations... No reason an R3 should start on 1B!!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, ALStripes17 said:

My association always scraps the FED designations... No reason an R3 should start on 1B!!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I think both of mine do too. It just makes for some awkward pauses and stumbles when reading case plays and test questions out loud to the group.