If This Be True, This Be _Sick_

MadMax
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2623 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

For the 2016 season, All-Star supplied one of its marquee sponsored catchers, Jonathan Lucroy, with a FM4000 mask. In the past, Lucroy had utilized the latest titanium models All-Star offered, typically the venerable FM25. This particular FM4000 looked a bit strange, though, appearing to have tin-foil clad ear struts and some of the cleanest welds I'd ever seen.

hi-res-159061538b1d58622b4b3434cf633914_ USATSI_9128663-lucroy.jpg 1*CVXrrsbU8v88pxefl4hwvg.jpeg

That last photo, from the side, those bars look kinda... bloated... for being hollow steel. Turns out, it might not be a hollow-steel FM4000 after all... 

Lucroy was equipped with the ultra-brand-new Magnesium FM4000MAG:
http://www.baseballmonkey.com/all-star-fm4000mag-magnesium-catchers-mask.html

All-Star hasn't even listed it on their site yet; but then again, they didn't publish the 2015 FM25Ti either, leaving it to forum and discussion sites to show details about it.

• Like 1

I absolutely LOVE my 4000 steel, but $339 for a Mag seriously All Star???  As JAx said the solid mass on the ears is, well, ugly. It needs to go along with the middle vertical bar down to the throat guard that requires you to split the center velcroe attachment. i don't see where that bar is structurally needed.

C'mon @JaxRolo...........That's just so you can personalize it.  To assist, I have provided some useful possibilities below.............

Right ear                     Left ear

JAX                              ROLO

or

STRIKE                        THREE

or

YOU'RE                        OUT

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Aging_Arbiter said:

C'mon @JaxRolo...........That's just so you can personalize it.  To assist, I have provided some useful possibilities below.............

Right ear                     Left ear

JAX                              ROLO

or

STRIKE                        THREE

or

YOU'RE                        OUT

I like it!

• Like 1

Being that it's injected magnesium, it's entirely possible those two spots are the injection points of the mold. You wouldn't want any inconsistencies anywhere else on the frame, otherwise there'd be a weakness or a vision-distracting imperfection. Out on the ear-guards is less crucial, so... 

1 hour ago, MadMax said:

Being that it's injected magnesium, it's entirely possible those two spots are the injection points of the mold. You wouldn't want any inconsistencies anywhere else on the frame, otherwise there'd be a weakness or a vision-distracting imperfection. Out on the ear-guards is less crucial, so... 

Look... stop it with your reason and logic. We don't need that kind of making sense around here. ;)

• Like 2

22 hours ago, MadMax said:

The polish marks on those areas would lend credence to your hypothesis. I'm guessing they went for molding instead of forging because of how tricky magnesium is...but a forged version would be so much better.