MadMax/Schutt XV retrofit

BT_Blue
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 1778 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

• 1 year later...

Hey @MadMax, can you help me out with a list of what you bought to do these mods? I'd like to move the epaulettes on mine up higher and grabbed some Chicago screws but I see you've also got a nice little bit of plastic to help distribute the force more evenly and protect the fabric that I think I need as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone permanently attached the shoulder pauldrons on the Schutt/Adams CP yet?

Would love to see some pictures if anyone's done that. I was thinking either reusing the current velcro strap and drilling out holes for chicago screws similar to the System 7 mods here, just wasn't sure of the best attachment points and if additional webbing would be needed to keep the pauldron in place. I have pretty broad shoulders and the stock velcro attachment doesn't seem like it will stay in place without some sort of retrofit. 

I've already shifted the ailettes up by drilling out the rivets and using 1/4 inch chicago screws like @MadMax recommended (a massive improvement) and switched my delta flex harness over (while the new Adams harness may be improved, the webbing seems way too stretchy and the delta flex was a huge improvement). I'm already preferring the Schutt/Adams to my old 15 inch System 7 even without considering price...it is much lighter and significantly slimmer in the chest and shoulders and the Schutt/Adams manages to cover my last rib without the extension. 

• Like 1

On 5/28/2019 at 10:07 AM, Ty said:

Has anyone permanently attached the shoulder pauldrons on the Schutt/Adams CP yet?

Would love to see some pictures if anyone's done that. I was thinking either reusing the current velcro strap and drilling out holes for chicago screws similar to the System 7 mods here, just wasn't sure of the best attachment points and if additional webbing would be needed to keep the pauldron in place. I have pretty broad shoulders and the stock velcro attachment doesn't seem like it will stay in place without some sort of retrofit. 

In case anyone is trying to do this in the future and wanted a reference. I killed the second to last rivet on the shoulder plating (see screw with washer - larger hole) and drilled out a second hole into the carapace for a second mounting point. Just like with moving the ailettes, I used 1/4 inch chicago screws installed backwards to be as low-profile as possible. 

20190601_112824.jpg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Ty said:

In case anyone is trying to do this in the future and wanted a reference. I killed the second to last rivet on the shoulder plating (see screw with washer - larger hole) and drilled out a second hole into the carapace for a second mounting point. Just like with moving the ailettes, I used 1/4 inch chicago screws installed backwards to be as low-profile as possible. 

Does this keep you from being able to wash the padding?

12 hours ago, Rock Bottom said:

Does this keep you from being able to wash the padding?

Nope, I installed the chicago screws directly into the plastic cladding. The padding is still attached by only velcro and fully removable. 

• Like 1