3rd out is a pick off

VolUmp
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2656 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

A batter with a count of 1-2 sees his teammate picked off first base for the third out of the inning.

His time at-bat was not over.  He will lead off in the next half-inning.     

As elementary as this is, I cannot find a rule or casebook reference.

Can't cite anything while I'm on the go right now, but wouldn't that be found in the definition of a batter? And then becoming a (batter)-Runner? Since the batter never became a runner, and his time was not ended as a batter (by being called out on strikes or interference, for example), wouldn't he by logic continue to be a batter until then?

You need several rules. Here are the applicable FED rules:

7-1-2: "After the first inning, the first batter in each inning shall be the ­player whose name follows that of the last batter who completed his time at bat in the preceding inning."

2-39-1 defines time at bat: "Time at bat is the period beginning when a batter first enters the batter's box and continuing until he is put out or becomes a runner."

7-3 and 7-4-1 list all the ways that a batter can be out. None of those happened here.

The other is 8-1-1, which lists all the ways in which a batter becomes a runner, thus ending his time at bat. None of those happened here.

Thus, he satisfies the requirements of 7-1-2 and comes up first next inning.

All codes are similar.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maven said:

You need several rules. Here are the applicable FED rules:

7-1-2: "After the first inning, the first batter in each inning shall be the ­player whose name follows that of the last batter who completed his time at bat in the preceding inning."

2-39-1 defines time at bat: "Time at bat is the period beginning when a batter first enters the batter's box and continuing until he is put out or becomes a runner."

7-3 and 7-4-1 list all the ways that a batter can be out. None of those happened here.

The other is 8-1-1, which lists all the ways in which a batter becomes a runner, thus ending his time at bat. None of those happened here.

Thus, he satisfies the requirements of 7-1-2 and comes up first next inning.

All codes are similar.

Thanks, Maven. 

This is what I was afraid of!

Piecing together logic is not for the common man nor the faint of heart!

18 minutes ago, catsbackr said:

That exact question was on the FED test.

Yes … that's why I'm asking. 

If we are to cite a rule or case book ref for everything we answer on the test, this one is difficult to do.