Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
Haid D' Salaami

NEW MLB Umpires

Remove these ads by becoming a Premium Member
18 minutes ago, Haid D' Salaami said:

Congrats to Gabe Morales, Pat Hoberg, Adam Hamari, and Carlos Torres. all have been hire full time by MLB. Great Job guys

Carlos Torres over Clint Fagan or Toby basner? Wow

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stk004 said:

Four job openings.... wow. 

I wonder who else retired. Or if they just created another crew

Just now, tpatience said:

I wonder who else retired. Or if they just created another crew

Weren't there three retirements or just Davidson and Hirschbeck? 

16 minutes ago, Stk004 said:

Weren't there three retirements or just Davidson and Hirschbeck? 

Tim welke. But John Tumpane was his replacement and then we didn't know who would take Davidson and Hirchbecks place. But that still leaves 2 openings 

Tim welke. But John Tumpane was his replacement and then we didn't know who would take Davidson and Hirchbecks place. But that still leaves 2 openings 

Tumpane is already on the full time staff then right? Maybe the extra two have something to do with having enough umpires in the replay booth in New York? 

4 minutes ago, Stk004 said:

Tumpane is already on the full time staff then right? Maybe the extra two have something to do with having enough umpires in the replay booth in New York? 

Yep. So 5 new MLB umpires next season for their first full season. 

Heard on the radio that Joyce retired. But it was only that one time. And I haven't heard or seen anything else.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Haid D' Salaami said:

Congrats to Gabe Morales, Pat Hoberg, Adam Hamari, and Carlos Torres. all have been hire full time by MLB. Great Job guys

Do you know if Clint Fagan and Toby Basner will be on the fill in list this year of if they got released 

A seniority system (based on first call up day) etc.etc. no longer exists as might have happened in a bygone era. The gentlemen above, are to be congratulated on Full time status. All 4 were in the top 5 for games umpired last year, although most total games worked is not necessarily the criteria for being hired either.

The actual winner of that contest last year, if you want to call it a contest, was Ryan Blakney with 142 and then Torres with 141, and unless they think Blakney stunk it up in 142 games last season, he will probably be one of the future hires, but no guarantees, just as in life.

Torres comes in (2009 start in MiLB) as one of the few recent hires that have not worked a "true full season" of call up MLBU baseball (162 games being a true full season) with 160 games prior to his hire, with Dan Bellino being the other one at 144 games. David Rackley was just over the full season mark at 165 games, Tripp Gibson at 173 and Manny Gonzales at 175.

Hamari (2006 start in MiLB) had 461 call up games under his belt..Morales (2009 start in MiLB) had 389 call up games, and Hoberg (2009 start in MiLB) had 354 call up games. Interestingly enough, Morales and Hoberg came up to AAA in July of 2013 and immediately got Arizona Fall League that winter with less than 60 AAA games worked. Then in 2014 they received a pretty full schedule (123 call up games each) of MLB games, once again with less than 60 games AAA experience. They were both up on their crews to start 2014. So, 123 call up MLB games at the start of their 6th professional season.

You may receive up to a max (unless things changed) 2 years "full time" service credit as a MLBU for 'prior call up service worked', but I am not privy to the exact number of games that must be worked to receive each year of credit. It could be that Torres 160 games could? get him 1 year of service credit. Since Hamari, Hoberg and Morales have at least 324 games or 2 full (162 game seasons) of games under their belts, they probably will start out this year as a 2 year veteran on the salary scale, at whatever a starting 3rd season MLBU on the scale would make. It looks like Hoberg/Morales go full time MLBU without ever working a full seasons worth (140) AAA games in their entire AAA career.

At 38 as a full time hire, and first umpire to start MiLB at 30 and above, 30 and 9 months, since the 70's, IMHO, they needed to make a quicker decision on Torres (one way or the other, yes/no, hire/no hire) as they would with not just Torres, but anyone in that spot. The NBA has hired those over 40 within the last 20 years, and I would imagine football has, so let's see if MLB ever will again, as Terry Cooney born in April of 1933 worked his first game-maybe as a late season hire in September 1974 or as a call up prior to being hired in 1975. Anyway, first MLB game at 41, (started MiLB in 1969 in the California League). No, Rob Drake worked many games and season's as a call up---Cooney did not---prior to his official hire at 40.

Also, MLB has those MLB Camps and I believe? Torres and De Jesus are the first 2 from those MLB Camps working in MLB as call ups, and now Torres has been hired.

Best of luck to everyone hired and to those who go to future MLB Camps and then one of the two schools, or straight to the schools as the MLB Camp is not a prerequisite.

added 5.6.2017.....

As for the subject of "incidents"--and if any of my speculation could hold 1 ounce of water.

Estabrook had a highly publicized incident in 2010 in which some were calling for his ouster. It looks like it took another 3 years as a fill in, until his full time hire in 2014 for everything blew over by that point, as a punishment so to speak, if that's what it was, but not totally ousting a very good umpire.

Last year Basner had the incident (via family member on social media) and maybe that was the cause for not being picked in 2017, and now the long wait for things to die down, which, if like Estabrook could be 3 years. Basner must have always been pretty good to have his first MLB fill in game at the age of 27.

And, did the quote "drill him in the back" in April 5th protested game with the Yankees by crew chief Dana DeMuth on a catcher's throw to first, cause him to miss a 2016 playoff assignment, or was it possible 2016 was the year for him to "take a rest" so to speak so others can be 'Playoff mentored' for retirements that will probably occur over the next 5 years. Seems like (just a hunch with no factual backup or article in the paper) some CC's are resting every year, so next group of umpires can get some playoff experience. It could also be due to season stats on being chosen to start with, or late season injuries.

• Like 2

Heard on the radio that Joyce retired. But it was only that one time. And I haven't heard or seen anything else.

Heard this over the weekend as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, tpatience said:

Carlos Torres over Clint Fagan or Toby basner? Wow

Why wow? Torres is a super umpire, who before starting in MiLB have been working as an umpire in Venezuela, The umpires in Venezuela are as good or some even better than umpires in MiLB, the only drawback of them is the language barrier for some of them. The benefit for MLB with the hiring of Torres and any other Spanish speaking umpire or in that case a Japanese umpire would be the communication with the players of their native language. .

14 minutes ago, gnhbua93 said:

Why wow? Torres is a super umpire, who before starting in MiLB have been working as an umpire in Venezuela, The umpires in Venezuela are as good or some even better than umpires in MiLB, the only drawback of them is the language barrier for some of them. The benefit for MLB with the hiring of Torres and any other Spanish speaking umpire or in that case a Japanese umpire would be the communication with the players of their native language. .

He spent 1 1/2 years as a call up while Clint Fagan and Tony basner both made their debuts in 2011. They have much more experience and are all around better umpires than Torres IMHO. Again IMHO, Torres did not have a good year last year. 

He spent 1 1/2 years as a call up while Clint Fagan and Tony basner both made their debuts in 2011. They have much more experience and are all around better umpires than Torres IMHO. Again IMHO, Torres did not have a good year last year. 

OALAEHOAES

Back to this... has anyone heard anything about Joyce hanging up the mask? Would be a shame since he is only in his 3rd or 4th (?) year as CC. Also enjoy following local guys to me like Joyce, Scott, Wolcott, etc.

5 minutes ago, BT_Blue said:

Back to this... has anyone heard anything about Joyce hanging up the mask? Would be a shame since he is only in his 3rd or 4th (?) year as CC. Also enjoy following local guys to me like Joyce, Scott, Wolcott, etc.

A quick Google search yields nothing of the sort. 

28 minutes ago, BT_Blue said:

I hope not. He's one of my favorites

16 hours ago, gnhbua93 said:

You seem to be pretty much up on the diversity issues. How do the D1 Conferences (making the Conference List (weekends)-not non-Conference only) compare to the Pros, and then with working Post Season assignments on diversity. How about the women issue that always arises in the Spring with an article but, only when it concerns professional umpires of professional players. How do they stack up on D1 'Conference' assignments and post Season?

Just curious on all diversity issues in umpiring or officiating in general. I do not see any women working the D1 major men's Collegiate games on TV in basketball or in post season men's play but they are in the NBA.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tpatience said:

I hope not. He's one of my favorites

Said in an article in 2014 ( i believe it was in july but don't quote me on that) that he felt he had a couple of years left. It would depend on his knees. That was the same issue with Chuck Meriwether, when he retired because the knees were rubbing bone on bone.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, dumbdumb said:

You seem to be pretty much up on the diversity issues. How do the D1 Conferences (making the Conference List (weekends)-not non-Conference only) compare to the Pros, and then with working Post Season assignments on diversity. How about the women issue that always arises in the Spring with an article but, only when it concerns professional umpires of professional players. How do they stack up on D1 'Conference' assignments and post Season?

Just curious on all diversity issues in umpiring or officiating in general. I do not see any women working the D1 major men's Collegiate games on TV in basketball or in post season men's play but they are in the NBA.

Great question. Any known trends on minorities?

• Like 1